Colt Forum banner

Correct Blueing on Model M 1903 380cal.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bat 41 
#1 ·
I recently bought a model m in 380 and I suspected it had been re-blued and it had a feeding problem so I took it to a master gunsmith and I asked him if it had been re-blued and he said yes and not in Colt blueing. I have heard of colt royal blue like on some pythons and matte blue and bright blue on older SW's but what is the correct colt blueing for this pistol. Serial nu. says it was made in 1942. I thought of contacting Doug Turnbull and ask about re blueing this gun but figured it would cost more than it is worth to have it done. But if he does it the value is better thanit is now with the wrong blueing although it was done pretty good to me.That's why I got it because it looked so good. Problem was in the mag. follower that's all. All help is appreciated.

#2 ·
After you have looked at Colts for many years, most reblues are obvious, either due to the loss of the flat surfaces or due to rounded corners and "pulled" screw holes, etc.. Some are obvious because the texture and color are wrong. Often times when I am opening an auction listing, as soon as the picture begins to load, I can see the rounded edges or the like and I hit the delete button.

The Models 1903/1908 are often found reblued because they were designed to be carried and often were, resulting in rust and wear.

The best description I can give is that the flats should be dead flat, the edges and corners very sharp and the markings sharp. The texture is like satin and is very blue compared to other makers where the finish is more black. Navy blue satin is very similar in color and texture to an original Pre-War Colt.

#4 ·
That's what I'm talking about! Dead flat surfaces. Sharp corners. Dark blue satin. Beautiful. (Great picture!)

Can you believe that these guns were polished by hand? Talk about skill!

One look at most reblues shows the differences. I about vomit when I hear: "I had her redone!" Many of those idiots think they have improved the gun, when they have just destroyed another original gun, no matter how worn, and reduced the value to less than before they had it "redone."

#5 ·
Another method of detecting a re-blue on these older guns is, pre-war Colt's were blued by the "Carbona" process.

IN this process, the parts were cleaned to surgical cleanliness, then put in steel drums with a "secret" mixture of charred leather, bone meal, and other ingredients, and heated in a temperature controlled furnace.
This imparted that old pre-war deep blue color.

Post-war, Colt and all other makers went to the modern hot salts chemical process.

There is a noticeable difference in color and appearance, that's best detected by comparing a modern hot salts chemical bath blue job to a Carbona blue.

It's something that really can't be adequately described, but is readily apparent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.