Colt Forum banner

"Barbecue" Gun?

6K views 32 replies 25 participants last post by  WC145 
#1 ·
I think this qualifies, although it ain't engraved...yet!

Tim

See less See more
#3 ·
My BBQ gun isn't finished yet either. The silver medallions are not yet in my cocobolo grips on my Magnum Carry.

For reference a "BBQ" gun is one a lawman might wear to a Texas BBQ hosted by Anne Richards or some other dignitary. As I am no Texas Ranger nor even a Tx resident or even residing in a state known for BBQ--I defer to regional experts on the merits of revolvers vs. autos paired with Carolina/Texas/Memphis/KC style preparations.

#6 ·
........By the way Tim. That baby qualifies as a barbecue gun, engraved or not !
Tim, I'm with Ponyup. That little gem is ready for any BBQ, anywhere, whether it be

with Carolina/Texas/Memphis/KC style preparations.
as Doc so wonderfully put it. Darn, now I'm hungry!

#5 ·
It's a limited edition Gold Cup Commander made about 1991 or so. I fitted it with ivory grips from Nutmeg Sports and installed the ambi safety myself. Since this picture was taken, I have carefully replaced the Elliason sight with a Colt Accro, thinking I may want to carry it someday, but I haven't yet. I am thinking or getting a nice set of leathers for it as well.

Tim

#12 ·
Nice Gold Cup Commander. Mine is from 91-92. It is original except the grip screws were slotted and I put in the hex ones. Scratch those grips and replacements are hard to find on gunpoker or epay. Now Colt made the Custom Edition of the Gold Cup Commander. There were 500 in blue and 500 in SS. Their S/Ns where xxxGCC. Mine is 1xxGCC. Colt later produced another 500 in blue and 500 in SS. They came with wrap around rubbers I think and their S/Ns were GCCxxx.

Anyway back to the BBQ. For the 4th of July I love this.

And for other occasions I love this.

Now if your BBQ is more formal then just put a WWI repo in a WWI repo shoulder holster and that is good.

#15 ·
In North Carolina we do pulled pork with a variety of BBQ sauce. The eastern 1/2 of the state generally uses a vinegar based while the western 1/2 uses a tomato base; hence there are staunch opinions on the best i.e. bragging rites. Since a whole hog takes many hours to cook and each pitmaster likes to brag about his BBQ; the topics keep evolving including bragging rites on trucks, women, hunting, fishing and guns. It's common to holster a firearm at a BBQ especially one that will give you bragging rites. "We don't bring no ugly guns" to our party.

#16 · (Edited)
A BBQ gun is not your every day carry. It's a gun that usually has been modified in a way that tells a little something about you. Worn on Sundays to church, southern BBQ's, a wedding, 4th of July, etc.... Most are not usually just for show either, as "bling" pistols are. These guns are sometimes made very accurate and reliable. Along with some custom grips, polishing, and engravings.

This started as a prewar 38 Super with Swartz safety that I picked up a while back. It had no finish on one side like someone had sprayed a chemical on it. I know it's a rare, but it would never be a collector with the missing finish on a Commercial Colt. This is a French grey finish.

#20 ·
Now in the SW besides the BBQ get together, and the 4th of July is still huge down here there is also Cinco de Mayo. I have seen lots of very nice 1911s in Silver and Gold plating with perl and ivory grips and usually stuck in the wasteband or belt. No holster. The other one coming up at the end of Oct. is The Day of the Dead. More somber. There are many interesting guns including many 1911s. The most powerful ones are the ones you have killed somebody with. Usually not so pretty.

#24 ·
NO, a pimp gun has no class, is just gaudy and show. A cheaply dressed up cheap gun. As contrasted with a finely crafted arm decorated with taste. I do not own an example to show the difference, which is why I always decline invitations to BBQ's where Governors and exPresidents are on the guest list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.