Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3612 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azshot View Post
    It's a classic situation with naive sellers. They inherit and need to determine the value of a piece of Wentworth China, Pocketwatch, Gun, Painting, etc. It's their dream that it will be a treasure to retire on. I've seen it many times, as I'm sure others have.

The problem comes when they reach out to armchair experts, that fawn all over the item, throwing out unqualified "appraisals". Often these are way too high, because the person is not really buying, just enjoying the moment. Others warn them not to be taken by lowball offers. Of course, offers start to be made, through IM, which are lower than the "pie in the sky" dream prices people have just been giving. It reinforces what they were warned about. But no one tells them that only a buyer can give them a value, not a random observer. The owner builds an image in their mind that the item really is a rare, lifetime treasure, that MUST be worth just a little more than the (too high) prices just quoted. And the lowballers are trying to "rip them off", even if their offer is close to those prices. After all, people can't keep up with the current market, can they? And prices are always rising, right? They tack on an few extra hundred or thousand dollars, and decide to go to market. The item doesn't sell, because it's priced a few hundred or thousand above the top, going rate, for a similar item (in better condition). It stagnates, people get worried why it isn't selling. The seller is firm, they won't budge and get "ripped off" by those lowballers they were warned about. Time marches on.... the overpriced item becomes a confusing aberration in the market.

You've all seen Craigslist or flea market items that are marked many times over the normal prices. And if you ask the person if they have wiggle room, they gruffly say no. They've built up in their minds the story of it's value, and no one is going to change their minds, if they take it to the grave.

That's the problem with forums randomly throwing out appraisals. It's something this forum encourages. But most serious collecting forums do not allow it. This practice lowers our forum to conflicting price quotes, based on agendas of a selling dealer, hopeful buyer, or just heavy breathing "gun lover." It makes us look more like a "Yahoo Answers" site, than a true, world class antiques collectors site.
    Good point…
    I resurrected this post because there are lessons to be learned some obvious others not so clearly visible.

I recently went through the passing of my mother (my father 20 years earlier). My parents were avid collectors on many levels with good taste and good eyes for special things (no surprise there given my gun activities of recent). I went through the process of evaluating art objects for which I have no expertise, specifically for the future sale and liquidation. The fact is until you go through this process you don't know what you don't know. Point is and this is how I went you find a trusted expert follow their advice and detach emotionally and if you cannot keep the object.. In this case, if one is not in the gun world there is RIA, Julia and Amoskeag for starters.. In the high end art work as an example it is Christies and so on.. Beyond this there are those such as Jack the Dog and Lock Stock Barrel with stellar reputations. The point is one has to be real about what they have or this type of thing happens… There is a lesson here starting with don't overvalue an item.. The gun (and I have asked many times) has a value and whatever it is today the gun is less than it was 10 months ago as it sits today. Whatever that value is the gun is losing or has lost appeal because it is riddled now with a year of what is visualized as negative history by some. There is a lesson on all sides…
    Last edited by Bigl1911; 11-27-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6775 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigl1911 View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving Rick
    Thanks Mark, back at you!
    Bigl1911 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Hi, I hesitate to even post here. First of all, my handle is in reference to my job as a teaching assistant at a school for 27 years. I am embarrassed by some of the immature comments that were made. Yes, I am a first time seller. I have only the one gun I am trying to sell.

I do appreciate those who came to my defense and have been kind in their comments, thank you. I never should have posted the sale ad here in the beginning before I went to the NRA. I am glad I was finally able to go there and get the professional advice, information and pictures I needed.

I was advised at the NRA not to let the gun out of my sight, not to ship this gun to anyone to have a “look” before they buy. I would not know who you were, even with references. How would I know if the gun would come back to me in the original condition if you decided not to buy? I would be more than happy for anyone to come here and see it in person.

The reason I posted on GunBroker was because it was made very clear in the rules of ColtForum that if an ad is posted here on the Forum, you are not allowed to auction or ask for a best offer. Simply, I went to GunBroker because I can auction and also ask for a best offer.

Thank you again for those who were helpful.
    oldCop likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    6159 times
    This is the fourth time the pistol has been put up for auction with zero bids so far. Maybe the mistake was made when the full value assigned by the NRA expert was not used.

Extremely Rare M1911 Colt Pistol Marked N.R.A. : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

Member #
    Liked
    860 times
    Yeah, I know, the NRA is stamped on it, but my 1916's bluing looks hellevalot better!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 12-23-2015 at 08:19 PM.
    prewar and colt_thompson like this.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links