Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.

Member #
    Liked
    6641 times
    Spending $100 on a Colt letter will get no more information than already given. There are no records of the Model 1911 NRA sales unless one just happens to show up in Springfield Research Service (which has no affiliation with Springfield Armory).

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I also don't think the letter would provide any further info that was/can/is found here, but it does put in document form the authenticity of a gun as well as written history of the piece and nice to have with a collectible like this from the manufacture. It is well worth the expense to get, especially with a rare Colt..

Member #
    Liked
    1022 times
    A beautiful family piece to be proud of! Another interesting factor to add in is that there were only 4,200 of them made in 1916. Values for the 1916 exceed some of the earlier and later models based on the limited quantity made that year.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2179 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lkgmadmax View Post
    A beautiful family piece to be proud of! Another interesting factor to add in is that there were only 4,200 of them made in 1916. Values for the 1916 exceed some of the earlier and later models based on the limited quantity made that year.
    I believe you've failed to take into account the 1916s made for the Marine Corps. Total 1916 production exceeded 5000 pistols...besides the suspended SA range Colts and "Receivers Only" pistols made up with 1916 production receivers. Still, the lowest production number of M1911 that year, but considerably more than 4200.
    lkgmadmax and ei8ht like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

Member #
    Liked
    7538 times
    I have a call in to Jim Supica who is the director of the NRA Museum. If anyone has any information about this rare 1911 pistol he will know. Here is a link to the museum's listing for the NRA Colt 1911.
    NRA Museums:

While of course it would be nice to have something of your father's to pass down to your children, a firearm may not be the best choice and that particular pistol is probably less so. If it's legitimate, and there are lots of counterfeits, the money it could bring may benefit you and your children even more. If you choose to offer the pistol to our forum you can be assured that the new owner will appreciate it.
    Hootch56 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member #
    Liked
    1022 times
    Scott I stand corrected , you are correct still a small number.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Thank you to all again. I never imagined that I would get such great advice and information. Thank you Rick Bowles, I will be interested in what you hear from Jim Supica at the NRA Museum. I have to say, I also was wondering over the weekend about the Colt letter. I'm still gathering all the info I can.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1588 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    Thank you to all again. I never imagined that I would get such great advice and information. Thank you Rick Bowles, I will be interested in what you hear from Jim Supica at the NRA Museum. I have to say, I also was wondering over the weekend about the Colt letter. I'm still gathering all the info I can.
    Sounds like since it won't confirm the most important part of your pistol, it would not really add any value.

- Not much there yet, but working on it...

Member #
    Liked
    7538 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
    As has been said by some of the foremost Colt authorities on the planet, a Colt letter can tell you nothing that isn't already known. Take the $75.00 letter money and have a nice meal and a bottle of wine.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    The excellent book, "U.S. Military Match and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols" by Bill Jenkins has a list of serial numbers of the N.R.A. pistols in Appendix V (pg 170). He states in the text that fewer than 100 have been documented by collectors. He also states that the list is "probably not all-inclusive" and cautions a "full inspection by any prospective buyer". The list contains 56 Springfields and 22 Colts. The OP's serial number, 137187 is not on the list. In kwill's post the Colt marked 142979 is on the list. I can't make out the ser no (looks like 125594) on the Springfield to comment.The above mentioned book was written in 2005. Hopefully the list has grown to include the OP's pistol. When the author states "documented by collectors", possibly he is referring to a N.R.A. Collectors group, worth checking, as is the contact at the NRA Museum.Good Luck!
    bczadnm likes this.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links