Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Colt M1911 Military Pistol marked N.R.A.

Hi,
    I am new to this forum. I have a Colt M1911 that belonged to my father who was in the military. It is stamped N.R.A. Hartford, CT United States Property. I have been doing some research, but have not been able to come up with a lot. That's why I'm here. If you have any information on the pistol and the approximate value I would appreciate it. Also, I am thinking about selling it. If there are resources for that, I would appreciate that, too.
    Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Cherie; 05-13-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    6006 times
    According to Colt - your M1911 was built in 1916, and 'apparently' was never issued, staying in storage.

It was eventually sold by the Army, through the National Rifle Association.

Look through your father's papers to see if perhaps there might be a Bill of Sale - it'll add value to a very collectible piece.

I'll leave it to others to price.
    Last edited by dogface6; 12-05-2014 at 11:16 AM.
    Hurryin' Hoosier and nowinca like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2812 times
    Welcome to the Forum Cherie. The S/N dates your pistol to 1917. Per this link:

NRA Museums:

"Among the M1911s sold during the prewar years was a group of approximately 100 pistols purchased through Springfield Armory by National Rifle Association Life Members and members of N.R.A.-affiliated clubs. Both Colt- and Springfield Armory-produced examples were included in this program. These pistols carried a purchase price of $16 each, and were stamped with the letters, "N.R.A." on the right side of the frame below the serial number." As far as value, I will leave it to the experts . But, it looks like a very nice example I.M.O.
    baxtersmith likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    625 times
    The NRA Colt pistols fall in the 120000 to 164000 serial number range.
    with only 100 issued I would think an easy easy $5K and in the right auction maybe a lot lot more
    still all depends on condition, if all parts are all still the original ones, and if it can be verified to be one of the 100, I have heard of a couple counterfeits but they were outside the serial number range
    I have only seen two examples and they were both springfields
    You may want to contact Colt Archives or the NRA and see what info you can get on this as it could be worth a lot

Member #
    Liked
    5664 times
    In addition to the information provided above, an NRA life member could also buy the then current service rifle, the Model 1903 Springfield. Like the pistols, they were marked N.R.A. to indicate they had been legally purchased rather than stolen.

A different time and place when the government trusted it's citizen enough that they let them purchase the then current service pistol and rifle. With WWI on the horizon, the practice was stopped until sales again resumed following the war, but the rifles and pistols were no longer marked N.R.A.

I agree that the pistol dates to 1916, shipped December 16, 1916, to San Antonio Arsenal.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    If I could be so bold, personally, I would think you were nuts to sell it. Apparently it meant a lot to your Dad... That should be kept and passed down to your kids and so on. At any price, there will be a day you will regret ever selling this.. Just sayin.
    Crossfire likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2475 times
    On the other hand if you decide to sell it you might put a price on it and post here. The Colt collectors on the site will certainly treat you fairly and appreciate it their collection.
    Crossfire likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1032 times

The N.R.A. marked Colts are much less common that the Springfield Armory pistols similarly marked, although neither is common. I, too, think you should keep it in the family but, if you are determined to sell it you will find motivated buyers.
    Regards,
    Kevin Williams

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    As you can see, it sold for $13.50 New, it would be considered "used" so should go for much less than new... <I got jokes, lol>
    Last edited by Tudorp; 12-05-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    Hurryin' Hoosier likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1357 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tudorp View Post
    ......At any price, there will be a day you will regret ever selling this.. Just sayin.
    Hello, Cherie, and welcome to the Forum. Tony (Tudorp) is right. You will own this rare treasure only one time. Think long and hard about this, especially if you have family who are interested in your father's past. But, if you do sell, it will no doubt have a fine home with a knowledgeable collector, especially any one of your fellow Forum members.
    Abwehr and Hurryin' Hoosier like this.
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." --Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links