Hybrid Pre-War .38 Super?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JudgeColt

Thread: Hybrid Pre-War .38 Super?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Hybrid Pre-War .38 Super?

Some "expert" looked at my 1911 Colt .38 Super and said that I had a "Gov't" lower for a .45 ACP manufactured in 1913, mated to a .38 Super upper. I am no expert, so I do not know if this even possible. I would have thought the mag well would need to be resized, along with the receiver, and the upper and lower are really tight...and the pistol shoots great.

What gives? Is it possible Colt would have cobbled together the parts to make this pistol? Anyone?

Member #
    Liked
    5676 times
    The Colt Super .38 did not have a serial number prefix like the Government Model with a C prefix. The serial number range for the Model 1911 in 1913 was 17251 to 60400, and did not have a prefix, but did have UNITED STATES PROPERTY on it. If your Super .38 serial number falls into this serial number range, your "expert" probably thinks that it is a Model 1911 serial number.

Out of curiosity, what is the serial number range of your Super .38?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2475 times
    Pictures would certainly help. That said it is possible to match any 1911/1911A1 frame with a 38 super barrel, barrel bushing, extractor and magazine to make a functional firearm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2781 times
    I believe the frame feed ramp on a .45 caliber pistol is different from the feed ramp on a .38 caliber pistol. (I am not going to take time to go down to the vault room to verify that issue for this discussion.) The ejector is also different between the two calibers.

I believe JohnnyP has offered the likely explanation for the "expert's" mistake.
    ponyup and EXFI like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1433 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    I believe the frame feed ramp on a .45 caliber pistol is different from the feed ramp on a .38 caliber pistol. (I am not going to take time to go down to the vault room to verify that issue for this discussion.) The ejector is also different between the two calibers.

I believe JohnnyP has offered the likely explanation for the "expert's" mistake.
    Agree. The O P states "the pistol shoots great"; which is a bit unlikely with a .45 frame feed ramp, and ejector, and JohnnyP knows his "stuff".

Member #
    Liked
    365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post

You are correct Judge. No need to even check for curiosity next time you are in the vault.

If the frame ramps then are like those of today, the 45 frame ramp on a Colt frame is cut at an angle that is less steep but deeper and wider than a Colt 38 super frame ramp. The .38 super frame ramp has a steeper angle, and is cut less deep and more narrow.

Sponsored Links