+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member mikoyan21 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Cleaning a dark bore

Is there a safe way to clean and polish a barrel with a dark bore?, the rifling is good with no corrosion or pitting but the bore is dark, I was told to use a steel bore brush and hoppes #9, is there something better to use?

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1796 times
    DON'T USE A STEEL BRUSH. This will scratch and possibly do serious damage to the bore.

Often a dark bore is is a bore that's covered in tiny pits, giving it the dark look.
    You see this in a lot of older military firearms that were shot with corrosive ammo, and it caused the tiny pitting.
    In most cases, you can't shine the bore up since it has a surface that looks much like it's been bead blasted.

A dark bore is usually "forever" because of the rough surface.
    Since in order to get the surface smooth you'd have to remove significant metal, this would badly oversize the bore.

About the only thing you can do is buy some JB Bore Paste and a can of Kroil from Brownell's.
    JB Bore makes a standard cleaner and the Bore Shine.
    The cleaner paste is intended to REALLY clean the bore, the Shine type is a sort of finishing step to help shine it.
    The Bore Shine will likely do you no good at all, since it's intended to help shine up a GOOD bore that's already shiny.

Use it according to the label directions.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...search=jb_bore

One other possibility, but one that may be bad for the gun is to buy a "fire lapping" kit.
    These kits have abrasive coated bullets that are fired down the bore to lap out imperfections, and in the very fine grits can polish the bore some.
    These kits usually require that you reload the bullets into your cases and use special light powder charges.

These are usually made for rifle calibers, and you'll have to search for a company that sells a pistol type kit.

Bottom line: Other than normal cleaning and possibly the JB Bore Paste, you just have to live with a dark bore.
    This does NOT mean the gun won't shoot nice groups.
    Many guns with dark, pitted bores shoot very good groups.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 05-21-2010 at 09:18 PM.

Member mikoyan21 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks a lot for the valuable information.

Senior Member swamprat will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1964 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mikoyan21 View Post
    Is there a safe way to clean and polish a barrel with a dark bore?, the rifling is good with no corrosion or pitting but the bore is dark, I was told to use a steel bore brush and hoppes #9, is there something better to use?
    I am lazy and get bored pushing a cleaning rod in and out a thousand times, changing patches, etc, so I use a Foul Out electronic bore cleaner. You will be amazed at the amount of copper that comes out of a bore that looks clean! It will make a dark bore shine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TED CRUZ FOR PREZ IN '16!

Supporting Member rhmc24 will become famous soon enough
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3119 times

Blue Wonder

I had a Luger with bore you describe. Finally I tried Blue Wonder cleaner and made it into a real nice bore. I don't like their re-blue product but the cleaner has a place in my shop.

Member ptrumble1 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    dfariswheel has pretty much got it covered---live with the bore, its got character

Senior Member RDak is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Interesting info on the Foul Out and Blue Wonder.

FWIW, I have always done like dfariswheel suggests with the JB Bore Paste and Kroil. I also never use steel brushes. This method has cleaned up the bores pretty well on my military surplus rifles.

After doing this before firing the first time, I usually never do it again though. I'm a little worried that using the JB Bore Paste too often might remove too much metal?

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1796 times
    While it's possible to over-do things, the JB Bore Paste won't harm the bore if used occasionally to get a good deep cleaning of the bore.

JB was first used by the benchrest shooters to get their match barrels absolutely clean of copper fouling.
    It's a very fine, non-embedding abrasive, and as long as you don't over use it, it's not harmful.

I used JB in pistols as a fast cleaner for really dirty, neglected bores.
    For normal cleaning, I just used a bronze brush and plenty of soak time.
    Copper fouling in pistols isn't the problem it is in rifles.
    Usually, a brushing of maybe 15 passes with a good solvent, followed by a couple of soaked patches, then 30 minutes of soaking got most bores clean.

Depending on how much I shot my own guns, I might use JB once a year for a deep clean.

Senior Member RDak is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    While it's possible to over-do things, the JB Bore Paste won't harm the bore if used occasionally to get a good deep cleaning of the bore.

JB was first used by the benchrest shooters to get their match barrels absolutely clean of copper fouling.
    It's a very fine, non-embedding abrasive, and as long as you don't over use it, it's not harmful.

I used JB in pistols as a fast cleaner for really dirty, neglected bores.
    For normal cleaning, I just used a bronze brush and plenty of soak time.
    Copper fouling in pistols isn't the problem it is in rifles.
    Usually, a brushing of maybe 15 passes with a good solvent, followed by a couple of soaked patches, then 30 minutes of soaking got most bores clean.

Depending on how much I shot my own guns, I might use JB once a year for a deep clean.
    Ok, thanks for the info dfariswheel. I'll remember that about the JB Bore Paste.

Dfariswheel: I always use a modified version of Ed's Red for cleaning, soaking, etc., (i.e., no acetone but everything else including lanolin).

What do you think of that stuff? It seems to work well for me.

(Btw, I do have other stronger solvents but Ed's Red is what I use for carbon removal, etc. I do have a separate solvent for copper that I use fairly often. And I do have the Lewis Lead Remover kits as you suggested to me a while back. But Ed's Red is what I use the most. I generally clean after every shooting session.)
    Last edited by RDak; 05-31-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1796 times
    I've never used Ed's Red so I have no comment either way.
    A lot of people do use it and seem to like it.
    My only comment is that the only advantage I see is that it's cheaper, but some trouble to make up.

Personally, I never liked "expedient" cleaning materials or chemicals. I've seen too many nice guns damaged by "Billy Bob" materials or techniques, and some of them were pretty shocking.

I figure that the cleaning companies have spend years and millions of dollars having high level chemists and engineers develop cleaning gear and I'm not going to come up with something as good on my own.

My thought is that you spend hundreds or thousands on the gun, agonize over the "best" ammo, the best lubricant, the best grips, the best holster, then shove God knows what down that expensive barrel.

Hoppe's Number 9 has been made since 1903 and has never damaged a gun when properly used. What's wrong with it?

Sponsored Links