+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Solotrekker is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Cool 1911 Front Sight

I have a Model 1911 that was manufactured in 1917. Finish is poor, one side shows very shallow pitting, like it was laid on a damp clothe. Other wise the firearm is solid and shows light wear, for something this old. My problem, the front sight was missing. I have found and purchased an original, correct sight. Information, so far, has excaped me on the method of securing the sight. The hole is clean and the groove is sharp. The sight shows signs of both solder and braze, (?), thus my confusion. Can anyone tell me the correct method?
    Thank You

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1628 times
    That's rather complicate to put in a post, but the basic procedure is to use a special staking tool to rivet the tennon of the sight from inside the slide.

To do it right so the sight stays put, you first use a 1/8" carbide Dremel burr to cut a small countersink inside the slide for the tennon to have room to form a rivet.

The front sight is inserted into the slide, and the excess tennon is trimmed down slightly to leave just the right amount to rivet.

The sight and slide are rested on a brass bench block and the riveting tool is used to rivet the tennon down and into the countersunk area you cut with the carbide ball cutter.

After staking, the excess rivet is ground off just enough to allow the bushing to fit.

Before doing this yourself I strongly recommend buying the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual that shows this procedure in detail.
    Do it wrong and you scar up the slide, damage the sight, or the sight doesn't stay put.

The shop manual. The best money you can spend if you own a 1911:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...__45_AUTOMATIC

The special front sight staking tool. There are several types, the cheaper version doesn't seem to be available right now:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9...T_SIGHT_STAKER

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thank You

Thank You for the information. I have held off putting in the sight because the information has just plain escaped me. Must people I have talked to are upgrading 1A's or 1911's of new vintage. I'm am trying to maintain it in its original state. Again, thank you.
    When I finish this post I'm heading for Brownells web site.

Senior Member ccw1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I will tell you my secret to getting the tenon mounted sights to stay put. The tools to stake the tenon are fine the problem is the slide can bounce taking some of the force away and keeping the tenon from being as tight as it could be.

With some shim plates and some time, and Ozark engineering, I rigged up a way to hold the slide upside down in the press in such a way that it rested on the front sight square and supported. The press was adjusted to put some downward pressure on the slide right on the sight. Then when you hammer and spread the tenon the slide does not move and you actually have some positive pressure holding them together. I hope I explained this well. When all we were putting was tenon sights on combat competition 1911's this worked very well for me, I never had a sight come loose. I also added a little red locktite for good measure.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Front sight

I was giving this problem of "bounce" some thought. I have some scrap brass, I was thinking of drilling and tapping some holes and using brass straps to hold down the slide. Also, shim the slide so it is supported full length and no damage should be sustained. I would then hold the brass plate in a vice to keep things solid. Anyway, thank you for the method, wish I had a press.

Senior Member ccw1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I used a press because it was handy in the shop. It wouldn't be to hard to build a jig to hold the slide, if you do a lot of them it would be worth it. I rarely do the stake ons anymore everything is dovetailed.

Senior Member kenhwind is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    409 times
    Many years ago when we had to change out the sights in order to get some decent combat sights I ordered the staking tool from Kings Gunworks.

I made a jig out of aluminum plate. The plate is 3/8" and I use a small bar with 2 holes in it and 2 1/4-20 bolt to hold the slide in position. Works pretty good.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Ads