+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Supporting Member Malysh is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1376 times

Which cold blue? liquid or paste?

I noticed Brownells has the "classic" liquid oxpho cold blue and also a paste form.

I need to remove that surface rust from the left side of the barrel on that 1953 DS I bought and touch up the area with cold bluing. Given the shallowness of the rust area and it's relative small size I'm inclined to apply it with my fingertip and blend it into the edges of the existing bluing, after cleaning out the affected area, degreasing it, and heating the surface with the wife's hair dryer.

Sometimes I have applied cold bluing with a lint free pad, but gun patches and Q tips seem to leave little fibers in bluing and the surface steel so I don't use them.
    That's why I use a clean fingertip most of the time, keeping in mind these have always been small areas. The edges seem to blend better doing it this way.

Has anybody used the paste form of this cold blue and have an opinion as to whether I might like it?

Thanks

Senior Member flanman is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    You seem to ahve some experience with the process. I would only add that my kids and I recently tried to cold blue with the Birchwood Casey product. It niether looked good or lasted. First cleaning and most of it was off or thinned to the point that it was wasted time doing except for the fact that I got some great daddy time in. Not sure about this product but be careful especially if you plan to use your fingertip. Might at least wear gloves to avoid contamination. Next project is slow rusting instead.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by flanman View Post
    You seem to ahve some experience with the process. I would only add that my kids and I recently tried to cold blue with the Birchwood Casey product. It niether looked good or lasted. First cleaning and most of it was off or thinned to the point that it was wasted time doing except for the fact that I got some great daddy time in. Not sure about this product but be careful especially if you plan to use your fingertip. Might at least wear gloves to avoid contamination. Next project is slow rusting instead.
    I don't like the Birchwood Casey product either. The Brownells Oxpho Blue is about as good as it's going to get with cold bluing. As far as using a finger, that small amount of poison on my fingertip for a few minutes ain't gonna kill me

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I believe the main claimed difference is the ability to better control the application as far as limiting it to the area requiring refinish. It seems the paste could be an advantage with finger application. A little dab'll do ya.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    I believe the main claimed difference is the ability to better control the application as far as limiting it to the area requiring refinish. It seems the paste could be an advantage with finger application. A little dab'll do ya.
    Just like the old Brilcreme, ha-ha!

Well, maybe I'll try the paste this time. The cold bluing I have left around here is much too old to use, easily over 7 yrs. It's time to throw it out.

Supporting Member Hopalong is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1615 times
    Some members have reported good luck with Van's.

http://www.vansgunblue.com/

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1376 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    Some members have reported good luck with Van's.

http://www.vansgunblue.com/
    Thanks, I am not familiar with Van's.

Senior Member RDak is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Van's is good and, Malysh, I honestly think the paste version of Oxpho Blue is the best cold blue out there. (But Van's is very good also IMHO.)

Senior Member swamprat will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1915 times
    I have used both paste & liquid Oxpho Blue, and also Van's, they are the best of the Cold Blue's on the market. I like the paste for small areas, and the liquid for larger areas. I have had good luck bluing whole pistols with Liquid Oxpho Blue, by degreasing thoroughly and heating the parts in the oven before appyling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TED CRUZ FOR PREZ IN '16!

Senior Member Armyphotog is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Swamprat, how much heat and how long in the oven?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads