• 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: Endshake fix

Supporting Member saemetric is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    136 times

Endshake fix

If a Colt has excessive endshake, say .006, instead of going thru the expense of sending the whole gun in to be fixed, why can't you just send the yoke andtell Colt repair to just stretch the cyl. collar .003-.006 and return it. I know headspacing must be checked, but thats easier to fix than stretching the collar which only Colt has the tooling for.

A1A
    The Searcher A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light A1A is a glorious beacon of light

Member #
    Liked
    420 times
    For one thing, they won't do it, I presume because they are compelled to ensure that the resultant gun after their work is safe and to spec. That includes headspace and b/c clearance.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1412 times
    It doesn't work that way.
    To stretch the cylinder collar, a hydraulic "pincher" device is used to stretch the cylinder collar.
    This is not a real precision process, the gunsmith just stretches the collar, then hand fits it to the frame by using a piloted cutter tool to trim the collar to the correct near-zero end shake.

To do that, you have to have the frame. Otherwise, there's almost a certainty that the cylinder won't fit the frame or the end shake will still be present.
    Revolvers, especially Colt's are "different". They're largely individually hand fitted.
    RickS likes this.

Senior Member 71firebird400 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    dfariswheel-

I'd like to get your opinion on something. Just yesterday I was looking at a 1981 Electroless Python that was for sale. I was performing the timing check you've posted several times and after that looked OK I pulled out my feeler gauges to measure endshake and barrel/cylinder gap. The gun has clearly been fired, but based on the turn line and impact marks on the ramp prior to the cylinder notch it did not look to be fired all that much. Additonally, there was no visible flame cutting. The barrel/cylinder gap measured out to .011" and endshake was approximately .006".

My questions to you-

Do you think the excessive gap and endshake was a result of being fired or do you think it was one that "slipped out the door" out of spec?
    What causes the gap to open up? I've always heard that the frame can physically stretch but am not sure if that's true or not.
    It seems to me that I've always heard about Pythons being sensitive in that they "go out of time". I've not yet seen a Python that was out of time, but have stumbled across a handful with excessive endshake. Do you think that Python is more prone to developing endshake than it is to go out of time?

Thanks!

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1412 times
    Assuming the gun is all original and not re-barreled improperly:

My best guess is the gun somehow made it out of the factory with excess barrel/cylinder gap, and possibly excess end shake too.

"Usually" if a revolver has been fired enough to cause that much excess end shake or has been fired with way over-pressure hand loads, you'll see ratchet peening of the breech face. This leaves a ratchet shaped actual dent in the frame, not just a light impression normally left by use.

In order to stretch a Python frame would require some REALLY over-pressure loads, and you'd see signs of stretching like an open gap in the joint of the top rear of the side plate.
    Stretching a medium frame revolver requires either insanely over-loaded ammo, or a lot of too hot ammo over time.
    Usually you'll see signs of this.

Given all that, my best guess is you just got a factory defective gun. It happened with even the Python back in those days.
    About all you can do is return it to Colt for correction. It's at least possible that if you talk to them, they may correct it as a bad job on their part and not charge you.

Senior Member 71firebird400 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Thanks for the reply. I passed on the gun but the mechanics of it still interest me. I just recieved copies of Jerry Kuhnhausen's books today so I'll be reading through those.

Ads