+ Reply to Thread
    Supporting Member Savorino is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

New Frontier 22lr cylinder fitting help

I recently got a Colt New Frontier 22, it came with a WMR cylinder only. After checking this sight I bought a LR cylinder from Numrich and tried to fit it. First I set the forward pin boss to be the length of the magnum cylinder (went .008" too shallow). The cylinder would not function. Found the Diameter of the star wheel to be too large and in several steps brought it down just a little under the mag diameter so that the cylinder with rotate fully and click in.
    Problem is now, when cocking the hammer, after the first lock up, the cylinder will not rotate when the hammer is pulled a second time because the bolt catch doesn't drop. (did not force it-stopped and removed cylinder)

Any idea's?
    Can this be saved?

I am not a gunsmith, have a little machining skills. I know it could have done this a little better-started out with a light file first before using a lathe.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    gonna look at, try to measure the shape of the scallops in the cylinder notches. thinking width may not be enough to clear the bolt catch to allow rotation.
    Wish my eyes were good enough to see this stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Can someone tell me what makes the bolt catch drop (out of the cylinder slot)?

Supporting Member Jim Martin is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Savorino View Post
    Can someone tell me what makes the bolt catch drop (out of the cylinder slot)?
    When u cock the hammer it brings the cam on the hammer up underneath the rear of the bolt tine raising the rear of the bolt which allows the front of the bolt to drop down to allow the cyl. to turn but if u have the wrong ratchets on the rear of the cyl. the primary finger on the hand will come up too soon to allow the bolt to drop & the cyl. won't turn.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    If you are saying that the primary finger needs to contact and or stahl 'till the bolt latch drops, that makes sense.

"but if u have the wrong ratchets on the rear of the cyl. the primary finger on the hand will come up too soon to allow the bolt to drop & the cyl. won't turn."

Haven't taken any off the teeth (ratchets) though, so might be out of luck with this Numrich cylinder.

Supporting Member Jim Martin is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    557 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Savorino View Post
    If you are saying that the primary finger needs to contact and or stahl 'till the bolt latch drops, that makes sense.

"but if u have the wrong ratchets on the rear of the cyl. the primary finger on the hand will come up too soon to allow the bolt to drop & the cyl. won't turn."

Haven't taken any off the teeth (ratchets) though, so might be out of luck with this Numrich cylinder.
    NEVER alter the ratchets, the way to do a correction is to shorten up on the length of the hand so that it will engage later than it does now but I don't think this is going to help you because I don't think you've got the proper cyl. in the gun,if it isn't the same brand as the gun is it shouldn't be in the gun in the 1st place.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Jim
    Thanks for your assistance!!!!!
    I'm not going to change the hand 'cause it came with the orignal 22wmr cylinder, so guess I shoild give up on 22lr with this'n.
    Thanks ColtForum
    Sav

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads