+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Welding up a hammer

Supporting Member Matchlock is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma! I'm Ridin' the Range tonight.
    Liked
    1851 times

Welding up a hammer

Hello everyone;

I am in need of having a Colt 2nd. Generation hammer welded and re-cut. Could someone here tell me where to send this hammer to have this done, and if possible, the approximate cost of same.

Thanks guys

Bud
    "I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Mhatma Gandhi

Supporting Member flyfishermort is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Matchlock, I am a 30 year toolmaker with experience is laser and TIG welding, also CNC and wire EDM. Can you post a pic of what needs to be welded? Is it cracked in half, worn down? chipped?
    I am new to Colts and this forum but maybe I can help you out. No time like the present to pay back for the help guys here have given me. Jim
    Matchlock and rickb2202 like this.

Supporting Member bofg is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I have a 1st gen. that needs the same thing. I actually bought a jig made to recut the notches hoping to find someone to tig weld the metal back but never did.

Supporting Member Trapdoor is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Bud,
    I have used and recommend Dave Lanara check out his web site.... davelanara.homestead.com $50 dollars to re weld and shape a Bisley safety notch. Turned it around in two weeks, but it depends on how busy he is.

Trap
    Matchlock likes this.
    "My very first pistol was a cap and ball Colt
    Shoot as fast as lightnin' but it loads a mite slow" Johnny Cash

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1851 times
    Thanks Jim, here's those pics you needed. I hope it's what you're looking for. The first photo is not mine, but I put it up to show the correct hammer hooks. The second photo is my Colt SAA 2nd, Generation hammer.

Thanks again, and let me know when, and where to send the hammer for this repair.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishermort View Post
    Matchlock, I am a 30 year toolmaker with experience is laser and TIG welding, also CNC and wire EDM. Can you post a pic of what needs to be welded? Is it cracked in half, worn down? chipped?
    I am new to Colts and this forum but maybe I can help you out. No time like the present to pay back for the help guys here have given me. Jim
    Last edited by Matchlock; 03-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Mhatma Gandhi

Senior Member swamprat will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1761 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bofg View Post
    I have a 1st gen. that needs the same thing. I actually bought a jig made to recut the notches hoping to find someone to tig weld the metal back but never did.
    bofg,
    Do you want to sell that jig? I remember seeing one at an auction one time, but didn't buy it. I have a Tig welder and a dozen hammers that need the repair. I want to practice on doing that repair if I ever get caught up on grip refurbishing!
    Hugh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    TED CRUZ FOR PREZ IN '16!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1851 times
    Hey, maybe we could get both our hammers done and we you, and (me, I'm hoping), can get the benefit of your jig as well.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by bofg View Post

Supporting Member flyfishermort is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
    Thanks Jim, and as it's a bit late for me at the moment, do you mind if I wait til morning to do that?

Do you have the tools to re-cut the hammer hooks and cocking notch?

Thanks again

Bud
    I can wait for pics. I am currently looking for drawings so that I could get it correct. I know a local gunsmith and if he has a SAA I can get my hands on I could do a laser scan and create my own CAD drawing. We have the machine tools to cut most anything working in tolerances as small as .0001" Jim

Supporting Member bofg is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Well this might be something we could work out, maybe some kind of trade for the jig & getting two hammers I have fixed. I will dig out the jig & post some photos.

Supporting Member rhmc24 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2619 times
    I had a SAA hammer re-notched years ago. Friend of mine sent it in with one of his to Kopec, I think. Beautifully done but don't recall the cost. Since then I have been fixing my own. I am far from being a purist as any purist will see from my notes on the subject --- that hopefully will help someone. Same re my less-than-artistic sketch.

SEARS & HAMMERS - Older Guns

When replacements are not available we repair What's there. Hammers have cock notches worn and sears the engaging surfaces broken or worn. One way to repair is to weld on more material and re-shape it back to where it works again. After a lot of shaping work you have to case harden it if it is to last.

In most cases there is a way without welding. Before doing any work I carefully scribe around the part on a piece of flat metal to have a record in its as-is condition.

For hammer notches I cut into the notch area and solder in a piece of steel to replace the worn area. For the full cock notch it can be a piece of spring steel, old saw blade, etc. I try to do the cut an eighth inch or more deep. I make the piece to be installed oversize and big enough to handle and solder it in with low-temp silver bearing solder. Then it is shaped to what it needs to be by referring to our scribing. My sketch may make this a bit clearer.

This solder has about 3% silver and is many times stronger than the usual soft solder. It solders at about the same temp as common 50-50 solder which will not affect the temper of your hard steel inset. It may come as a wire with flux core or with separate flux bottle.

For half-cock notches, you need overhang to keep the sear from pulling off. You can either cant the cut you make for the inset or make it of thicker material so you will have enough to file the overhang notch.

Sear repair is basically the same. Make your scribe record. Then cut into the end of the sear, install the inset piece and rework it to the scribe shape.

You may have to anneal the hammer or sear so you can saw it. That need not matter because the wearing areas are being replaced by your insets.

Before starting I usually do a little sketch of how the finished work wants to look. That gives an opportunity to plan just how you want to do your cuts.

In the old days, little pistols with spur triggers had a tiny flat spring for trigger return. Rather than make one, I usually just drill a little hole and install a coil spring. Cigarette lighters have a long flint pusher spring about .080 to .095" dia. that is ideal to make several pieces for this kind of job.

Notes: In recent years files coated with diamond dust have become affordable. They will easily cut the hardest steel. Higher temp silver solder can also be used with the above method. It just takes more heat.
    Last edited by rhmc24; 09-15-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Ads