Colt Forum banner

What’s Your Opinion For The Best Holster For My 1953 OMM?

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  rednichols 
#1 ·
Gentleman and Ladies present,

I ask this loaded question (no pun intended) knowing I would get ample opinions or suggestions.

I like to have a holster for each of my pistols. And it’s sport to me to hunt for what I believe makes the best fit. I’ve collected holsters for 4” pistols but not 6”. I own several Viking floral holsters knowing that they are the Chevrolet of holsters, but I can afford them. I missed out on a H.H. Heiser 184 Colt Officers Model Revolver Shoulder Holster for $60 that I thought would be ideal but I was to tight to pull the trigger (again, no pun intended).

So I pose a friendly question to the Lounge ‘What’s Your Opinion For The Best Holster For My 1953 OMM?’.

Most Sincerely,
elmersglue

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Ranged weapon

See less See more
#4 ·
I believe the flip-flop style holster is what's referred to as "field expedient". It may not be elegant but it gets the job done.

Reactions: Mickey_D
#6 ·
Keep an eye out on ebay for an older Lawrence or Eubanks Holster. Be prepared to spend $50-$80 but you'll be happy that you did. The Lawrence holsters started to use a numbering system in the 1960's so you want to look for a number 502. Older ones, along with the Eubanks holsters will usually just have some kind of abbreviation stamped into the back but can usually be deciphered too. It might say something like Colt OMM or .38 Medium 6 to fit a number of 6" medium frame Colts and S&W's.
Here's a nice old Lawrence for a Colt Official Police that was picked up cheap because it needed a repair to the strap.

Attachments

#8 ·
Keep an eye out on ebay for an older Lawrence or Eubanks Holster. Be prepared to spend $50-$80 but you'll be happy that you did. The Lawrence holsters started to use a numbering system in the 1960's so you want to look for a number 502. Older ones, along with the Eubanks holsters will usually just have some kind of abbreviation stamped into the back but can usually be deciphered too. It might say something like Colt OMM or .38 Medium 6 to fit a number of 6" medium frame Colts and S&W's.
Here's a nice old Lawrence for a Colt Official Police that was picked
The old Lawrence holsters are good leather. I have one for a Woodsman and I really like it.

#9 ·
I also am in the market to fit a couple of 6 1/2" N frame fine old smiths. I would like to get a fancy lined flap covered tooled carved leather holster. I just haven't got serious yet about it as truth is they are safe queens and I haven't been carrying them except to shoot them of the bench. Dont think I shot them in 35 or 40 years. A old Triplelock with factory target sights added in 1949 and a 1950 Target also .44 special made in the mid 1950`s. Its just hard to pay a hundred or two for a holster I wont use but nice to have.

#15 ·
I also am in the market to fit a couple of 6 1/2" N frame fine old smiths. I would like to get a fancy lined flap covered tooled carved leather holster. I just haven't got serious yet about it as truth is they are safe queens and I haven't been carrying them except to shoot them of the bench. Dont think I shot them in 35 or 40 years. A old Triplelock with factory target sights added in 1949 and a 1950 Target also .44 special made in the mid 1950`s. Its just hard to pay a hundred or two for a holster I wont use but nice to have.
It would be hard to improve on a vintage Lawrence or Heiser flap holster, Mexican carved, for your classics. When you remember that it's the revolvers that are the holster accessory, not the other way 'round :). I doubt one would pay much less for a vintage Bianchi #16L yet the first two are so much more beautiful. Turnerriver has posted impeccable examples of both Lawrence and Heiser flaps with carving in the past; no modern maker has ever equalled them (Lawrence is uniquely of the Sheridan style of carving). But they aren't cheap and shouldn't be.

#13 ·
bmcgilvray, that is a very cool Eubanks holster. I have a bunch of them and have never seen that particular style before. What are the markings on the back ? I have several No. 87's which are for revolvers, several No. 89's which are for automatics, used to have a No. 90 which was a full flap model for medium frame revolvers and the only one I have seen of a No. 50 which is oak leaf carved for a revolver. I think the Eubanks holsters are very under appreciated by collectors.

#14 ·
Here's the best of several bad photographs I took of the marking when I photographed the holster.

I agree with you Walter Rego. A couple of Eubanks holsters live here and they are first rate, excellent quality and workmanship and still serviceable though over 60 years old. The other Eubanks is a flap holster I had acquired years ago and represented as to fit a 4-inch Colt Official Police. Turned out to fit 5-inch N-Frame Smith & Wessons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.