First Holster
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By redbeardcraig

Thread: First Holster

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

First Holster

Just joined the forum, here are a couple of pictures of my first holster. Picked up a few hints from Matchlock, doubled up on the leather to make a stiffer rig. Still lots to learn, comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg1.jpg (61.5 KB, 41 views)
    • File Type: jpg2.jpg (55.6 KB, 16 views)

Member #
    Liked
    125 times
    welcome to the forum, very nice work!

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Excellent job on your first holster. There are several good holster makers on this forum.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    There is a few hours of work here and over all I'm happy with the results. I plan on shooting with the cowboys this year if I can find the time to complete the belt. was hoping some of the other members who do leather work could pass along their views. one thing I was specifically wondering about is should I have stitched the top of the holster? there are two layers of heavy leather bonded together, I have beveled the inner edge to allow easy re-holstering but I wonder if it will stand up to use and abuse?

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Red, your first attempt is, very nice. I believe the top of the holster should be stitched and my favorite way to accomplish this is with the "rollover" method used by El Paso Saddelry and some few others. In my view it is very practical and looks classy and professional. No, I'm not a "maker" but I have been know to support a few over the years!!! Nick

Member #
    Liked
    130 times
    Redbeardcraig,

You MUST have carved leather before? That looks very nice!

If doing a lining like that, I would stitch the mouth and toe.

Paul

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    started into leather craft a couple of years ago, to make a long story short, about 15 years ago a made a knife from some 440C that a friend supplied to me, always wanted a sheaf for it, so bought a basic leather kit, everyone got leather coasters that year for Christmas, and I learned the basics. leather sheaf turned out nice, then wallets, a clutch purse, rifle strap, etc. my grandfather did leather craft, so maybe it is in the blood.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma! I'm Ridin' the Range tonight.
    Liked
    3924 times
    Hey there Red Bead, Wlcome to the Colt Forum. The greatest place on the planet for Colt information and fun.

After looking at the leather work in your photo, if thet's your first attempt at a holster then you don't have too far to go. That's an excellent job. Well done, and I'd be happy to help you anytime.

Bud

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardcraig View Post
    Just joined the forum, here are a couple of pictures of my first holster. Picked up a few hints from Matchlock, doubled up on the leather to make a stiffer rig. Still lots to learn, comments are welcome.
    "Prayer is the best way to meet the Lord. Trespassing is faster”

Member #
    Liked
    7017 times
    That is really good. The top edge at the cylinder has a very nice curve to it. The loop and back skirt balance perfectly with the holster. The holster itself looks like a separate piece from the back. How is it attached?

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Burp View Post
    That is really good. The top edge at the cylinder has a very nice curve to it. The loop and back skirt balance perfectly with the holster. The holster itself looks like a separate piece from the back. How is it attached?
    wish I could take full credit for the design but I can't. the design was taken from a tandy kit that I customized by doubling the leather for a stiffer holster. there are three pieces that make up the holster. the holster slips through the loop and is secured to the back by two holes at the bottom of the holster. these holes do double duty to let you tie the holster around your leg.

Sponsored Links