Childhood Reminiscing (slightly gun-related)
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Armybrat
  • 1 Post By bsmalley23
  • 1 Post By broknaxl

Thread: Childhood Reminiscing (slightly gun-related)

Member #
    Liked
    1656 times

Childhood Reminiscing (slightly gun-related)

Recently I was browsing in a LGS and came across several police trade-in S&W Model 65 revolvers from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Seeing them triggered some 65 year old memories of part of my childhood spent living there:

Being a military brat, most of the houses we lived in are now long gone. My favorite place where we were stationed was Fort Brooke, which formerly occupied the now National Park Site of El Morro Fortress in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico during the early 1950s.

Our US Army officers' quarters were located in the upper left of this pic - the faint track of our street is barely visible between the long low structure (near top center) and the grand E-shaped building (upper left). The "modern" US built family housing was demolished when Fort Brooke was deactivated 50 years ago and the place was turned over to the Park Service. The old main fort, which was "my" playground was constructed starting in 1539. The lighthouse was built in 1898 after the US took over the place as spoils of the Spanish-American War.

So many childhood memories (1950-54) from that place - especially playing pirates in the real dungeons that had dates from the 16th & 17th centuries scratched into the cell walls, along with some beautifully intricate pictures of sailing ships & galleons. It was a kid's paradise - and the real thing. Always wondered who was imprisoned there, for how long, and what miseries they endured.

Roughly half the green space above served as a 9 hole golf course for the Army personnel during the Fort Brooke days. One of the holes (a "dog-leg") was actually in the old moat - the tee was at the bottom left in this pic, and the golfer had to hit the ball blindly over the bridge to a sand "green" which wasn't visible - so the caddy would perch on the bridge by the little sentry box to point to the cup flag.
    My older brother made a hole in one there in 1952. The commanding general's wife painted a water color scene - including the caddy waving his arms - of brother making that shot (it hangs on the wall of his study nowadays).

A little history of the fort:

http://www.discoveringpuertorico.com...-old-san-juan/

An excerpt from the link: (I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules)

Located on the headland overlooking the entrance to San Juan Bay, El Morro Fort (Castillo San Felipe del Morro) was built to protect the city of San Juan from seaborne enemies. For those of you arriving by sea today, you can see just why this imposing fortress commanded the respect of those that attempted to defeat it. When it was first constructed back in 1539 El Morro was just a simple tower, the layout that you see today was designed several years later in 1587 by engineers Juan de Tejada and Juan Bautista Antonelli based on the established Spanish military fortification design principles of that time period.

From its very beginnings El Morro Fort has seen its fair share of action:

, Sir Francis Drake fails in his attempt to attack El Morro. The gunners of El Morro thwarted Drake with their cannons and a metal chain stretching across the entrance to the bay.
    1598, the Duke of Cumberland battled his way into El Morro not my sea but by land and occupied the fort for 6 months. Illness to his men forced the Duke to give up his temporary residence in El Morro and the fort was again returned to the Spaniards.
    1625, The Dutch attacked San Juan, but El Morro resisted under the leadership of Spanish Governor De Haro and Captain and the help of the local Puerto Rico militia.
    1630, the construction of the city walls started and were completed around 1678. These are the same walls that you will see today as you tour Old San Juan
    1797, the British with several thousand men invaded Puerto Rico and once again attempt to take San Juan. Once again El Morro and the Spanish were able to defeat their attackers. The battle of 1797 was one of the largest in Puerto Rico’s history and is reenacted every year on the grounds of El Morro and throughout the city of San Juan.
    1898, El Morro fought its final battle when the United States Navy bombarded the fort during the Spanish – American War. The fort suffered a lot of damage from the shelling and the war ended with the signing of the Treaty of Paris. Under the new ownership of the United States the damage to El Morro was repaired and the lighthouse that you see today was built.
    1942, as part of the USA’s Second World War preparations El Morro was fortified with a concrete artillery observation posts and an underground bunker
    Last edited by Armybrat; 01-13-2016 at 07:46 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2297 times
    Looks like the most awesome place in the world to play as a child. I slightly envy you.
    David13 likes this.
    6" Python, 357mag, Blue, '75-------------------5.5" SAA, 357mag, Blue C/H, 2015
    2.5" Python, 357mag, Blue, '72-----------------2" Cobra, 38spl, Blue, '61
    4" Diamondback, 38spl, Blue, '77---------------2" Detective Special, 38spl, Blue, '68

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    I've got an old Police Positive that is marked on the barrel " Property of the Government of Puerto Rico" - It also has pearl grips.
    David13 likes this.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

gvf

Member #
    Liked
    2505 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Recently I was browsing in a LGS and came across several police trade-in S&W Model 65 revolvers from San Juan, Puerto Rico. Seeing them triggered some 65 year old memories of part of my childhood spent living there:

Being a military brat, most of the houses we lived in are now long gone. My favorite place where we were stationed was Fort Brooke, which formerly occupied the now National Park Site of El Morro Fortress in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico during the early 1950s.

Our US Army officers' quarters were located in the upper left of this pic - the faint track of our street is barely visible between the long low structure (near top center) and the grand E-shaped building (upper left). The "modern" US built family housing was demolished when Fort Brooke was deactivated 50 years ago and the place was turned over to the Park Service. The old main fort, which was "my" playground was constructed starting in 1539. The lighthouse was built in 1898 after the US took over the place as spoils of the Spanish-American War.

So many childhood memories (1950-54) from that place - especially playing pirates in the real dungeons that had dates from the 16th & 17th centuries scratched into the cell walls, along with some beautifully intricate pictures of sailing ships & galleons. It was a kid's paradise - and the real thing. Always wondered who was imprisoned there, for how long, and what miseries they endured.

Roughly half the green space above served as a 9 hole golf course for the Army personnel during the Fort Brooke days. One of the holes (a "dog-leg") was actually in the old moat - the tee was at the bottom left in this pic, and the golfer had to hit the ball blindly over the bridge to a sand "green" which wasn't visible - so the caddy would perch on the bridge by the little sentry box to point to the cup flag.
    My older brother made a hole in one there in 1952. The commanding general's wife painted a water color scene - including the caddy waving his arms - of brother making that shot (it hangs on the wall of his study nowadays).

A little history of the fort:

El Morro Fort Old San Juan | Discovering Puerto Rico

An excerpt from the link: (I hope this doesn't violate any forum rules)
    Just beautiful! Gawd!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    568 times
    Wow, what a place to grow up! Did you ever find anything while exploring & playing in the old fort?
    Leigh

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links