Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Washington State Gun Law Problem

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times
    Because the guy I was buying from told me his FFL would not ship to a C&R based on the state law and I would have to pay a FFL on my end to make it work. The gun was a C&R certified by ATF and totally eligible for the transfer except for the Washington state statute.
    ei8ht likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    724 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Faires View Post
    Because the guy I was buying from told me his FFL would not ship to a C&R based on the state law and I would have to pay a FFL on my end to make it work. The gun was a C&R certified by ATF and totally eligible for the transfer except for the Washington state statute.
    I just don't buy it. Either that FFL isn't comfortable shipping to a C&R (quite a few aren't, but usually say so) and is using the Washington law as an excuse. Or he is buying into one of those things cooked up by wanna-be law experts on gun blogs or forums who always fish for worst-possible-interpretations to have something to write about. The text of the law certainly does not support this.

PS: Of course, my legal expertise carries just as much weight as that FFL's . But I can read English, and the text of the law really leaves little room for interpretation.
    Last edited by Absalom; 01-26-2017 at 08:46 PM.
    David13, ei8ht, Joel6180 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    321 times
    I guess it all comes down to how bad do you want it. I try to not spend too much time interpreting laws or trying to figure out why it was passed and for the most part follow them. As a result I've done no jail time and paid no fines. Seems like a reasonable way to live.
    speedfrk73z and ei8ht like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    968 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MGJ View Post
    Washington is truly becoming a huge anti gun state passing laws to discourage gun owners and the like. Every time I sell a gun to someone in WA I have to send an invoice so they can collect sales tax which is crazy.
    You have to find the right FFL that does transfers to avoid sales tax. And there are many of them.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    Regardless:

1. It is the ffl's business license; therefore his choice.
    2. I would personally sell privately to a C & R.
    3. The law DOES NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT C&R LICENSES. C & R licenses say on them that they are not "for dealing in firearms". The law says you must ship to a "dealer". C & R's do not fit the definition of a dealer under the State Law. It is NOT CLEAR and even several firearms attorneys sites agree it is ambiguous.
    4. This thread was intended to be a warning and notice, not a cat fight between keyboard wannabe lawyers. I suggest the mods close it down!
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    They passed I-594 which only permits the transfer of firearms to immediate family members without an FFL. They pushed this through really fast right after the Marysville/Pillchuck school shooting. The bill was written so poorly that even the chief officer of our state patrol told the media "This is an unenforceable law"
    (But hey, it made someone FEEL good)

Now all transactions have to go through FFL here in our state.
    Fortunately I have a friend who is a gunsmith and FFL licensed holder (He makes custom Gatlin guns, from .22LR to 45-70)
    He only charges me $20 for his time on the phone.

Yep, West of the Cascades this state is as "Blue" as San Franciso/LA. East of the Cascades it's red. Unfortunately the big population center (Seattle/King County) casts the most votes and they're blue votes.
    Lewis County is a very red county on the west side.

Member #
    Liked
    968 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcscoutsquad View Post
    Lewis County is a very red county on the west side.
    So is my county.
    But the higher population census in King , and the fact that it’s blue, paints the state blue when it came to the electoral and popular vote, unfortunately.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    I see it as a losing battle, since left-side liberals have the $$$. It was Gates that funded the bad law as a "gun show loophole" correction. Washington State, once quite good and now on the downslide, is probably unsalvageable.
    ei8ht likes this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail

As to my avatar, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    724 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BearBio View Post
    4. This thread was intended to be a warning and notice, not a cat fight between keyboard wannabe lawyers. I suggest the mods close it down!
    Nothing personal, but that's not the way it works. If you put something questionable up on a discussion forum, it's going to be discussed, especially if it could unjustifiably scare people away from doing something they should be free to do.

The only wannabe lawyers at work here are your FFL and you, trying to interpret the law instead of just following it. If the text that you linked in your first post is the complete and original text, your FFL is simply wrong, no matter what those "firearms attorneys" say. For a gun law, it's actually surprisingly clearly worded. Subsection 3 is the only part that applies to your type of transaction, and there is nothing in there about only shipping to dealers. The end.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    When the Attorney General's office has difficulty clarifying a law, it should be discussed, I think. The Second Amendment Foundation announced a challenge, but I do not know where that stands in the court system. As to threads, if one does not like the subject matter, it is ever so easy to disregard that thread and focus attention on others which are more palatable.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    under "about me" and more detail

As to my avatar, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links