Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Washington State Gun Law Problem

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2748 times

Washington State Gun Law Problem

Has anyone tried purchasing a gun from Washington State lately. I tried and was told my C&R would not be honored because of a state law passed in 2015. It state that all transfers must be through FFL's working for a profit. Thus C&R FFL's are not valid to send or receive firearms. I was also informed that all though most people believe this was not the intent of the law no one wants to be the test case.
    I would encourage the NRA and Washington Rifle association to look in to this and work toward getting it fixed. Until then I will not purchase any firearms from any individual or vendor in Washington.
    ei8ht and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    I was the "other side" of the transaction. My ffl and I spent 3 days reading the law, researching the C&R list, and getting "opinions" from members of chat rooms, reading opinions on legal sites, and the consensus was "Nobody knows" whether the law applies. The Washington State Attorney General won't give any advice ("We're too busy"). Here's Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.RCW 9.41.113: Firearm sales or transfers?Background checks?Requirements?Exceptions.

[2015 c 1 § 3 (Initiative Measure No. 594, approved November 4, 2014).]

This supposedly does not affect sales of antiques but I'll find out tomorrow when I try to ship an antique (I'll take copy of the law with me to UPS). The law basically says "yes" in one part and "no" in another.

FYI (I've referred to this in other posts) ANY transaction MUST go through an ffl (local transactions, interstate, etc) & purchasers must pay sales tax to the state (if residents). Also, no sales of Ivory (regardless of Federal law). The (geographically) smaller west side is dictating to the larger eastside.

Anyone gets a petition going, I'll sign.

Member #
    Liked
    2295 times
    Sounds like some more shady gun control measures. I hope you guys get it figured out or someone comes to your aid.
    ei8ht, DavidWJ and jringo8769 like this.
    6" Python, 357mag, Blue, '75-------------------5.5" SAA, 357mag, Blue C/H, 2015
    2.5" Python, 357mag, Blue, '72-----------------2" Cobra, 38spl, Blue, '61
    4" Diamondback, 38spl, Blue, '77---------------2" Detective Special, 38spl, Blue, '68

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    This might be something to get the Washington State Gun Collectors involved in. Seems like it would affect them more than the "everyday" buyer (?).

Quite frankly, I don't see(or remember) the NRA getting involved in local issues==they just keep asking for more money!
    ei8ht, jringo8769 and Matchlock like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1169 times
    Washington is on the "left coast", after all.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    unfortunately the population base of the seattle liberals control measures like these and the rest of us suffer.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12414 times
    It appears that whoever wrote the law had never heard of C&R licenses. If they have heard of them, they must not recognize them the same way that the Federal Government does.

Member #
    Liked
    968 times
    They passed I-594 which only permits the transfer of firearms to immediate family members without an FFL. They pushed this through really fast right after the Marysville/Pillchuck school shooting. The bill was written so poorly that even the chief officer of our state patrol told the media "This is an unenforceable law"
    (But hey, it made someone FEEL good)

Now all transactions have to go through FFL here in our state.
    Fortunately I have a friend who is a gunsmith and FFL licensed holder (He makes custom Gatlin guns, from .22LR to 45-70)
    He only charges me $20 for his time on the phone.

Yep, West of the Cascades this state is as "Blue" as San Franciso/LA. East of the Cascades it's red. Unfortunately the big population center (Seattle/King County) casts the most votes and they're blue votes.
    saintclair, ei8ht and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    The left/right you are describing is exactly why the founding fathers set up an electoral voting system. Otherwise, Calif and NY would dictate who is president for the entire land mass of the US. Same situation you have with this law....a few in big cities get to control the entire state. Kind of like an HR department that sets up a big operation in a company, telling the CEO they're needed, so the company won't get sued or break any laws. Then after a decade the whole company WORKS for the HR department. When layoffs happen, it's never anyone from these big 'People departments.' It's all the employees that are actually designing or producing something.

Member #
    Liked
    4716 times
    Anytime legislation is enacted that is not crystal clear in its meaning and is ambiguous will usually be opined to the benefit of the enforcing authority. Even when the meaning is crystal clear the state will often argue otherwise.A very apt example is the CFPB...the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. President Trump has issued an executive order freezing all regulations and the CFPB says they will continue to issue regs in defiance of the order. They've become a power to themselves and consider themselves answerable to no one. I wouldn't be surprised to see some state agencies act in the same manner.
    Sportsdad60 likes this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links