• 1 Post By huntsman22
  • 5 Post By dfariswheel
  • 1 Post By dfariswheel

Thread: In need of Corian girps

Member #
    Liked
    237 times

In need of Corian girps

So, want a pair of white/ivory one piece grips for my Uberti's. I would like them made out of Corian, either the white or the ivory color. I looked on Collins Craft site and although he lists them as being available for the Uberti, in an email he stated he does not have them. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    187 times
    make your own.....
    Rigby likes this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5159 times
    I did a fast search of the main grip makers and only Collins offered any.
    I'm sure someone makes them.

One option is to send a SASE with the question to the American Rifleman Dope Bag and ask them.
    If you're an NRA member one of your benefits is asking ONE question per letter and the Tech Staff will answer it.

If you're not an NRA member.....shame on you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    Thanks for the answers I received. DFW, never thought of the NRA approach, as I am a Life Member. It is frustrating, since like you, I did an internet search and his was the only name that I could find. I had been on his website a half hour before I emailed my request and had been looking at his pics and there was a picture of products he stated he offered. One was a Uberti Model P with corian grips. I received a email the next day saying he does not make that item and couldn't help me. I might have to try the DIY approach, but my skills at doing such things are a might rusty.

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    I make custom single action grips, commercially, like Collins or the other guys.

Corian was kind of interesting as a grip material for awhile because of its abundance, its colors, and its ability to take a polish… but it’s not really a good grip material and it is my sense gripmakers got tired of trying to make it work.

A big thing is, it’s very brittle. Almost zero qualities for flex or expansion / contraction. Which makes it hard to get through the grip making process in the first place without breaking a panel. Corian comes in half inch sheets, it’s hard to thin out, you chip panels trying to get nice feathered edgemates into the straps… etc.

Uberti makes a very good looking, high quality ivorex grip for the Cattleman. On VTI, there’s a finished set and an unfinished set $165 vs $85, parts UB:005011/ivorex or UB:005011/Iv/Unf

I think that’s the way to go for the look you want. And better quality too. Buy them finished, really. The $80 difference doesn’t buy much of anyone’s time in fitting labor.
    Last edited by gazelle; 02-17-2017 at 06:35 AM.
    The web's most complete resource on
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5159 times
    One of the best of all simulated ivory materials is white or ivory paper Micarta.
    This particular type of paper Micarta is made from sheets of pure white or aged yellow ivory colored paper bonded together with a phenolic resin into a solid mass.

Unlike most other ivory synthetic substitutes this type of paper Micarta has a grain very similar to real ivory due to the layers of paper.
    Most other synthetics are a single mass with no grain at all.
    Be aware that there is another paper Micarta which is ground-up paper bonded with resin.
    This has no grain and is not at all as hard or durable as paper sheet Micarta.
    jringo8769 likes this.

Sponsored Links