SW mod 17 .22 tight cyl
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: SW mod 17 .22 tight cyl

Member #
    Liked
    69 times

SW mod 17 .22 tight cyl

Have one from the 50s, looks nearly new, but one bore in the cylinder is so tight that after 10 rds need to tap ejector with a wooden mallet. Any non radical thoughts. I have scrubbed, cleaned, soaked. Is it possible it left factory too tight?

Member #
    Liked
    5373 times
    I have/had several .22 smiths. I have found the bores to be tight on them too compared to other rugers and colts I have/had. The smiths need cleaning more than the others. I never made a project of it but maybe others here might know if putting steel wool on a cleaning tip might help and working over the chambers good might help or hurt. Some of the trouble might be because the smiths are recessed rims where others aren't and they have to be kept cleaner than the other brands. Along with that it wouldn't hurt to try various brands of ammo and see if there is a difference and stick with what works.
    ei8ht, oldedawg and Zorros like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6501 times
    A chambering reamer helps this, and quickly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1390 times
    I have owned many S&W 17's and 18's and all of them had tight chambers. I did find that some ammo, notably Federal, was more of a problem than others. I also recall that, when I was shooting NRA bullseye matches many years ago, that the preferred ammo was Remington because it was accurate and ejected cleanly from Model 41's. The Federal ammo of the day was notorious for causing extraction/ejection problems.

- - - - - Buckspen
    bmcgilvray and Zorros like this.

Member #
    Liked
    290 times
    Tight chambers seem to be a signature issue with Smith .22s; I've had four such revolvers and they were all troublesome. Short of reaming out metal, best remedy I ever found was to determine the brand of ammo that would eject the easiest and stick to that (on average, Federal worked best for me).
    Zorros likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    All my post war S&W .22 long rifle revolvers had factory tight chambers. None of the remedies other than using a Clymer 22 LR {C} Finisher solved the problem permanently. It is a very simple operation for most people to do, and it makes using your revolvers enjoyable again.
    Zorros likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Interesting and thank you. Only one is tight, the other 5 fine. I thought that strange. As to other ammo, i thought about that and its been hard to find. In my younger days we had access to match ammo and i wonder if this might be better tolerances. I don't know what a clymer is but i will look it up.

Member #
    Liked
    6501 times
    The rimfire .22 headspaces on its rim - there's no worries.

Today's chambers are longer, and the brass doesn't fire-form to the cylinder, but on the older revolvers, it quite often will - expanding 'just enough' during the firing so that the case mouth grips the interior of the cylinder.

A 'Clymer' reamer will remove just enough of the steel so that won't happen, and many gun shops have someone who'll do that little chore for you - it isn't rocket science.

You're gonna want to shoot it - right?

Get all six charge holes done.

You won't notice - no one will notice - and you'll be able to enjoy your .22.
    skwcoltguy, Beecherkid and Zorros like this.

Member #
    Liked
    173 times

S&w K22

Sir.
    Charge holes need to be very clean and they needed to be wiped dry of all fluids/lubricants just before firing. Ammo, as noted, is also an issue. My range bag has a small leather headed mallet, just in case.
    Pic of one.
    Bill@Yuma

WDE_0735.JPG
    Zorros likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2977 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustango View Post
    Tight chambers seem to be a signature issue with Smith .22s;
    Agreed. Personally, using the edge of something or a leather-tipped mallet to force ejection is preferable to chamber reaming. I am a collector at heart, and do not like modifications of any kind. That said, a polish of the chamber might be an acceptable compromise for a revolver shot frequently. Waxing the chamber helps as well.

Why not just shoot your superior Colt Officers Model instead and eliminate the issue entirely?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links