Is this legal?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Is this legal?

Member #
    Liked
    5697 times

Is this legal?

A friend of a friend bought one of these kits. He said it came directly to the guy in the mail with no FFL required.
    The upper receiver is cut but the lower appears to be a complete working lower with serial number and everything. Also it appears to be a straight up full auto lower.
    Something doesn't seem right about that. Am I missing something?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/639038189
    W5BYR and ei8ht like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    409 times
    In the description it does not say it comes with the lower. If they shipped a working lower to him then I would think it was a mistake and definitely not legal.

You are bidding on a NOS 5.56 caliber SAR-80 (Singapore Assault Rifle) Parts kit All Parts kits are cut from the new unissued guns. All kits are from the same NOS weapon. Includes [all] cut Upper Receiver pieces, all demilled barrel pieces, piston drive, recoil springs, & one magazineBlack wrinkle spray paint finish
    Colt-SL likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    359 times
    Quote Originally Posted by twaits View Post
    A friend of a friend bought one of these kits. He said it came directly to the guy in the mail with no FFL required.
    The upper receiver is cut but the lower appears to be a complete working lower with serial number and everything. Also it appears to be a straight up full auto lower.
    Something doesn't seem right about that. Am I missing something?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/639038189
    With your expertise on ARs, does it sing to your skill set, which is extensive. The only caveat, to me, is "sold as is, no returns". I tend to steer clear unless the seller and I have history. But that's just me. I know you can assemble this with your eyes closed and 3/4 in the bag drunker than Doc Holliday. Maybe ask the seller more specific questions as they are the ones that can detail every part (piece of the kit) that you need to know/familiar with?

Jackson.
    Colt-SL likes this.
    VFW Life Member, TSRA Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    It's possible the upper on this particular rifle is the part the revenuers are worried about, (unlikely, but possible) and since its cut in several places, satisfies their requirement for import as a parts kit.
    W5BYR likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2340 times
    I suppose it is legal providing the upper is the restricted part.
    leswad and W5BYR like this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Legal depends on state and federal laws. In some states just having parts for a full auto will get you jail time. Most part kits are bought by dealers who make up post sample guns from them that must be destroyed when the lic to do so ends. If someone without a lic is caught with a full auto that's not in the NFA registry and legally owned they get a heavy fine and up to ten years in prison.
    jringo8769 and W5BYR like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6180 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 459459 View Post
    Legal depends on state and federal laws. ..... not in the NFA registry and legally owned they get a heavy fine and up to ten years in prison.
    Or worse...Think Ruby Ridge...

Member #
    Liked
    808 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Sopris View Post
    Or worse...Think Ruby Ridge...
    Or Waco...
    old tanker and jringo8769 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6010 times
    When I was a kid in the 1950`s I got ahold of a underground comic book. It had a ad for a deactivated Thompson MG. A few pages farther was another ad, "New barrels for your Thompson!" The comic also had a do it yourself page showing how to make Knucks out of milk can handles!
    cogman45 and jringo8769 like this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5657 times
    There was nothing "underground" about ads for full-auto deactivated firearms.
    These were called "DEWAT" guns.....De Activated War Trophy.

Back then these were perfectly legal since they were rendered unable to fire or chamber a round.
    Many magazines had ads selling several versions of the Thompson's, the M3 Grease gun, and some foreign SMG's and light and heavy machine guns.

Some of the American DEWAT's were not Dewated very well. The barrel was plugged in the chamber and the barrel was welded to the receiver.
    Some people doing the work either just couldn't bring themselves to ruin a good Thompson or they were deliberately skating around the law.
    Often the welding of the barrel to the receiver was poorly done and the weld could be cut or broken so the barrel could be removed.
    Some welding of the chambers was also relatively easy to drill out.

I remember Field & Stream ads in the 60's advertising M3 Grease guns for $20.00 or less.
    Later on the BATF declared DEWATs a controlled firearm and they were no longer sold.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links