Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Wholly smokes!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3583 times
    Me, Robin? Should be Batman slapping Homer Simpson! D'oh!
    ei8ht likes this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail

As to my avatar, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3583 times

Le$$ Baer

As probably my last chance to own this caliber, I am firing a letter off to EAA imploring them to produce - even on special order - a "Super 38 Polymer" version. And, unless the NRA was completely fudging the accuracy numbers, look how this thing compares to Les Baer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    speedfrk73z and ei8ht like this.
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3107 times
    Why not go with a steel-frame Witness? It is available in .38 Super chambering. I much prefer the looks of the steel-frame Witness pistols over the polymer-frame pistols. Unless one is carrying the pistol daily, I like shooting the heavier pistol as well.

I have been a fan of the Witness pistols for a long time, but they lost me when they discontinued true stainless pistols and went with the "Wonder Finish." Early Wonder Finish pistols have polished flats on the slide, but later ones have only the matt finish.
    ei8ht and KMKCOLT like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JudgeColt View Post
    Why not go with a steel-frame Witness? It is available in .38 Super chambering. I much prefer the looks of the steel-frame Witness pistols over the polymer-frame pistols. Unless one is carrying the pistol daily, I like shooting the heavier pistol as well.

I have been a fan of the Witness pistols for a long time, but they lost me when they discontinued true stainless pistols and went with the "Wonder Finish." Early Wonder Finish pistols have polished flats on the slide, but later ones have only the matt finish.
    That is the CZ-75 based version, right? Sadly, they don't fit my hand.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weagle99 View Post
    Has American Rifleman ever said anything negative about any gun?
    Has any gun magazine said anything negative about a gun they have reviewed. If so, I guess I missed it.
    speedfrk73z and ei8ht like this.
    Can you run 850 feet per second? If not, you had better be bullet proof.

New Colt Cobra 38 SPL+P
    Springfield EMP 4 Contour 9MM
    Glock 43 9MM

Member #
    Liked
    1774 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weagle99 View Post
    Has American Rifleman ever said anything negative about any gun?
    Nobody ever does. I read a review of the new C308 from Century Arms a few months ago, and the guy was raving about what a good deal it was at $700. IIRC, he accuracy was an abysmal 4"-5" at 50 yards, but he was still raving about how great this "almost G3" was. Another reviewer had a slam fire first time he loaded it (which is where he should have aborted and returned the rifle), but still: "One hell of a nice battle rifle". It sure makes you wonder what it would take for them to say something negative. There's a reason why I don't read many gun magazines anymore.
    speedfrk73z, ei8ht and joehaber like this.
    Deer Hollow Enterprises, LLC
    Gun repair and restoration

Member #
    Liked
    708 times
    I may as well get into trouble today 38 super is just an expensive 9mm to shoot that head spaced on the rim for years and didn't shoot straight. To get them up to IPSC power factor it took heavy bullets and near overloads in the guns they were first used in. While they built race guns that won many championships in 38 super I never heard of anyone carrying one on the street... Flame on...
    ei8ht and po18guy like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3583 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 459459 View Post
    I may as well get into trouble today 38 super is just an expensive 9mm to shoot that head spaced on the rim for years and didn't shoot straight. To get them up to IPSC power factor it took heavy bullets and near overloads in the guns they were first used in. While they built race guns that won many championships in 38 super I never heard of anyone carrying one on the street... Flame on...
    Point: "I don't really like the .38 Super." Counterpoint: "Don't buy one!" Headspace is ancient history. Gone. Non-issue. The bottom line: The .38 Super is more than the 9mm, just as the 41 Action Express is (however slightly) more than the 40 S&W. In the .38 Super's case, it is considerably more than the 9. I hand load, so two non-issues for me. The .38 Super that you do not buy, I will buy. Win-win. You notice that I have a soft-spot for orphans.

Of course, I can always just buy the .45 ACP version. Yet, I imagine how light a Commander-length polymer carry version would be.
    ei8ht likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    708 times
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    Point: "I don't really like the .38 Super." Counterpoint: "Don't buy one!" Headspace is ancient history. Gone. Non-issue. The bottom line: The .38 Super is more than the 9mm, just as the 41 Action Express is (however slightly) more than the 40 S&W. In the .38 Super's case, it is considerably more than the 9. I hand load, so two non-issues for me. The .38 Super that you do not buy, I will buy. Win-win. You notice that I have a soft-spot for orphans.

Of course, I can always just buy the .45 ACP version. Yet, I imagine how light a Commander-length polymer carry version would be.
    Well here I are
    Best I can do is point out on the balistic charts the velocity of the +p 38 super and the +p 9mm, there is very little difference...

38 Super Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

9mm Ballistics Chart | Ballistics 101

Not enough difference in my mind to own a 38 super to carry. I bet it would be fun to have one to shoot for a while.

Jim

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3583 times

Screech!

Hmmm. Accurate Powders shows 200 fps advantage for .38 super on average with 124 grain bullets for but one example. One inch longer test barrel does not account for 200 fps. You like 9s. Good. I have three 9s, but I know that the .38 Super is clearly more powerful - always has been and always will be. Not a thing wrong with the 9mm Parabellum. It's just not Super.

Anyway, this thread is totally derailed. What about an accurate, affordable polymer .45 that Colt's could make, but didn't?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ei8ht likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links