Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Wholly smokes!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times

Wholly smokes!

Just received the latest American Rifleman. Paging through, I was thinking of a fresh .45 addition to the stable. Other than Colt's, not a single one of the numerous 1911 clones do a thing for me, except Baer. Not a plastic guy, but the S&W M&P or Ruger American have a certain appeal, inasmuch as I would not be afraid to round their edges by carrying them. What is this I see on page 96? "EAA Witness Elite 1911 Polymer"? Yeah yeah, OK, let's have a look (eye goes immediately to 25 yard accuracy). Zowie!, to (paraphrase) ei8ht. Smallest group 0.82" and largest 1.67"? From sandbags - not even a Ransom rest? AYKM? List price $580. $430-$450 at Wiki Arms. 100% reliable with everything from Ruger 118 ARX to 230 full patch. Skeleton hammer, full beavertail, lowered and flared port, accessory rail, drift adjustable sights. "Match grade SS barrel" - well, I guess so. Less than 30 ounces in a full 5" gun.

They are making things difficult. (Edit) A .38 Super version will destroy my resolve.
    Last edited by po18guy; 04-26-2017 at 03:12 AM.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail

As to my avatar, "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18033 times
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    Zowie!, to paraphrase ei8ht.
    EH!, Thats "Wowzers"...

hokey_smokes_rocky_the_flying_squirrel_b_1.png
    Last edited by ei8ht; 04-27-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    ei8ht of 9ine
    Colt Assimilator
    Amateur Historian
    Retired TV Guy
    -------------------------------------Wanted Police or Agency Marked Colt Hammerless

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ei8ht View Post
    OK, ya got me there. Same Bat-genre, however.
    ei8ht, ponyup and Coltsformysons like this.
    Survivor of 2 non-Hodgkin's Lymphomas (PTCL-NOS, AITL), bone marrow cancer (MDS) and an allogeneic stem cell transplant. My condensed cancer journey

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2279 times
    I had a EAA Witness in .38 Super, certainly no Colt, but not too bad of a pistol.
    ei8ht likes this.
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    1656 times

Member #
    Liked
    3013 times
    Has American Rifleman ever said anything negative about any gun?
    ei8ht, Abwehr, Interapid and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4716 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weagle99 View Post
    What? And piss off an advertiser?

Actually...while they've not been truly negative in their reviews in my memory, sometimes if you read between the lines of some reviews they're sometimes less than glowing. They're simply not negative in any obvious sense.
    Mike Faires, ei8ht and Hawkman77 like this.
    It was me...I shot Liberty Valance.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    Quote Originally Posted by weagle99 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SnidelyWhiplash View Post
    What? And piss off an advertiser?

Actually...while they've not been truly negative in their reviews in my memory, sometimes if you read between the lines of some reviews they're sometimes less than glowing. They're simply not negative in any obvious sense.
    Very astute observations gentlemen. I know for a fact that after reading the advertising copy, Wiley Clapp has not found a single issue with any tested handgun. Sometimes, you learn more about the reviewer than you do the gun.
    ei8ht, Hawkman77 and speedfrk73z like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3596 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOOTER13 View Post
    I could swear I saw him post "Ka-pow!!!" somewhere here… anyway, I changed it from "quote" to "paraphrase", hoping to sneak that one by.
    ei8ht and SHOOTER13 like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18033 times
    Quote Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
    I could swear I saw him post "Ka-pow!!!" somewhere here… anyway, I changed it from "quote" to "paraphrase", hoping to sneak that one by.
    ei8ht of 9ine
    Colt Assimilator
    Amateur Historian
    Retired TV Guy
    -------------------------------------Wanted Police or Agency Marked Colt Hammerless

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links