Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By broknaxl

Thread: 38 acp ammunition

Junior Member DanoAcklin is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

38 acp ammunition

Does anyone know if .38 acp ammunition can still be purchased.

If so please let me know where it can be purchased.

Thanks

Dano

Supporting Member Oyeboten is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    I am not aware of any one offering it presently, other than in some instances as 're-manufactured' ( re-Loaded) Ammunition, but I forget the name of the Company who was doing that...and I do not know for sure when they had done it or were doing it, so it may be long gone by now also.

It is very easy to re-Load one's self of course, and, if you plan to shoot much at all, that would be the best bet.

Re-Loading it one's self also allows the use of Semi-Wadcuters in Lead, and, or Lead Bullets or Hollow Points and so on, to suit various applications.

I gather ( but have not tried it myself ) that 9 mm Largo is so close, that it will function in Pistols intended for .38 ACP, though much of the 9mm Largo Ammunition available is old and may be Corrosive Primer type.

What is the Pistol?
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 08-23-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    216 times
    I found this on ammoseek.com - Graf & Sons - says it's in stock.

Graf & Sons - P.C.I. AMMO 38 AUTO (NOT SUPER) 130gr TMJ-RN 50/bx
    guy sajer likes this.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    Quote Originally Posted by broknaxl View Post
    I found this on ammoseek.com - Graf & Sons - says it's in stock.

Graf & Sons - P.C.I. AMMO 38 AUTO (NOT SUPER) 130gr TMJ-RN 50/bx

Wow! These turn up now and then at the local Gun Shows, for like $48.00 a-Box.

Good find broknaxl!

Heck of a deal..!

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1304 times
    That is a really good deal but would make me a little nervous. Remanufactured ammo always makes me a little nervous. Especially to fire in an irreplaceable old Colt. I wonder if they use brass labeled "38 Auto" or labeled "38 Super"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    Hi twaits,

This is true...and especially when one does have a really swell old COLT, the re-manufactured Ammunition does give or should give a little sobering pause.

Just to harp on it a little more, having an old COLT which takes a by-now unusual Cartridge is THE perfect occasion for learning to re-load one's self, and, to evolve correct habits and disciplines for the tasks.

That way too, one can shoot Semi-Wadcutters in the old .38 Auto, for Paper Target, and, feel proud and happy with the neat clean holes one will get.

I never liked 'Hardball' anyway and since I prefer nice, wholesome, soft, squishy Lead, Loading my own has always been the best bet.

But, far as that goes, I did try asking around some years ago, about the "P.C.I." Ammunition and I was not able to find any stories of disappointment.

Senior Member egg collector is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I bought some from Precision Cartridge Inc, last year. They only run them when they are set up for them. He told me they try to keep some in stock. Of course they did not have any at that time so I order 6 boxes and it took several months but they did show up. I was well pleased. I think I paid around 40-45 dollars per box. After talking to the guy, I forgot his name, they sounded like they were well built amo. I am no expert, but they work. I do not shoot that many 38 acp. I even forgot where they are located. Do you home work not all 38 auto's will work. The above price beats my guy.
    Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday.

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1304 times
    I am admittedly a bit paranoid. After disecting dozens of catastrophic AR15 failures during my time with Bushmaster I have a hard time trusting remanufactured ammo. But we had plenty of factory loads that were the cause of failures too. AR15s are far from irreplaceable though...old Colt automatics are not.
    The only way to truly be sure of what you are firing is by carefully reloading your own ammo as Oyeboten recommends above which I agree with 100%.
    I don't shoot enough to reload anymore and the few times I have fired my 1903 I used old factory loaded 38 ACP ammo so I felt comfortable with that.
    Last edited by twaits; 08-24-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Senior Member brokedave is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DanoAcklin View Post
    Does anyone know if .38 acp ammunition can still be purchased.

If so please let me know where it can be purchased.

Thanks

Dano
    My first thought is, what gun are wanting to shoot with 38 acp? Can we see some pictures..

Reloading would be my first option, as it allows one to control all the variables and create a known load you feel compfortable with, as previously discussed.
    Personally, I only use my own reloads in my old Colts.
    ...you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie... - Mr Wales.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1227 times
    Good futher mentions twaits and brokedave!

Shooting 'Vintage' Factory Ammunition is of course another option, especially for the incidental foray to the Range.

Like drinking really old, very special, and likely still at it's pinnacle of Wine I guess...

I have done it myself of course, too...but, sparingly.

There were many ( well, not very many, but, more than two or three anyway ) variations of Bullets to be seen in old Factory .38 ACP Cartridges, and this in itself is interesting and educational. I have seen semi-jacketed Hollow Points, RNL, and odd truncated cone forms.

Of course most was the 'Standard' 130 Grain "Copper Patch" sort.

One possible danger sometimes in acquiring Vintage Boxed, Factory Ammunition, is that someone, somewhere along the way, re-Loaded it, and, filled the Factory Box with their re-Loads, and, did a very nice tidy job of it, and, a naive Pilgrim fifty or eighty or a Hundred years later, might not know it or be able to tell.

Maybe the person who did the re-Loading was impeccible.

And, then again, maybe not, and, there could be a Double-Charge or worse of 'Bullseye' waiting to be found out the hard way.

So, look closely! And, 'Trust yer Gut' when buying "old" seemingly Factory Boxes of old or Vintage Ammunition.

And, then, better yet, buy it to admire, and, don't shoot it, but, instead Load-your-Own, and, do so with impeccible presence of mind, and procedure...as something which is genuinely a privledge TO do, and a pleasure to do, and something to be proud of, and never as a chore just to get it done or to rush with 'cause your Wife or Grlfriend is hollering about how Supper's almost ready..! Lol...
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 08-25-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Ads