+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member tmd17 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Argentine Browning Hi Power-

I have never had a HI-Power and finally had to scratch the itch. I found this one from one of my preferred GB sellers and thought I would give it a spin.

Anyone familiar with this particular version/generation of Argentine Hi-Powers?

FM High-Power 9mm-GOOD COND! NR! : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Serial number is 326799 . Total cost to me will be $350.00

Decent guns? Did I over pay or get a good deal?

I should have gun in hand by Wednesday next week and will post photos and follow up review.

Supporting Member Malysh is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1307 times
    Unless there is an operating problem specific to this gun, you got a great deal!

The Argentine copies of the P-35 are made as well as any post WWII "Hi Power". You bought the gun as a shooter, obviously. I think you will very much enjoy doing just that with it.

Senior Member cda926 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    158 times
    I have owned several HiPowers over the years. The Argentine guns are high quality pistols. The one I had was actually made on FN equipment under Browning license in the early '60s. It was probably the most accurate HP I ever shot. After the feed ramp was polished, it fed hollowpoints flawlessly. I carried it off duty for a long time. I can't personally speak to the FM guns. But, it sounds like you got a good deal.

There are at least three Argentine variations of the HP:

1) The Buenos Aires Police carried Belgian FN guns in 1961.

2) The pistols that were made under Browning license on FN equipment in Argentina

3) The FM pistols like yours.

Best,
    Charles

Supporting Member Oyeboten is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1293 times
    I guess I was not up to speed on these and I had avoided them, thinking they were a low quality copy.

Interesting to read that this was not so, and, that they are alright and were made under License and on Tooling provided by "FN".
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 11-05-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Gun in hand already!

Fit and finish about as expected with less than perfect machining mark clean up and it looks like it has been painted over with previous pitting covered up or perhaps they are casting "voids"? The pits/voids are primarily in the nooks and in corners. Slight wear on high points, but I do believe this thing was not shot much at all. The bore is bright and lands and grooves highly defined and sharp, despite the light frosting on the exterior surface of the barrel.

The gun fills my hand nicely, but the trigger? Well- I wish I could give exact information but my trigger pull scale only reads to 8 pounds!

Range report soon. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and give her a run.

Supporting Member Malysh is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1307 times
    Super! I hope you get real enjoyment from your new Hi Power.

Depending on the year it was made, are you sure there are any cast parts on this gun? I think older Hi Powers had all milled steel parts, but I'm no expert.
    Maybe Charles aka cda926 can tell us?

Senior Member skyliner is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    72 times
    I think you got a good deal (although I'm a little surprised that a winning bid of $265 ends up costing you $350).

I have the compact version of your pistol, the FM-95 "Detective" model, with a shorter slide. It's just a shooter for me, but I've been happy with it. Works just fine, but as you've noted, the fit and finish are a little rougher than a Browning-made version. I think that's well worth the cost differential.

I ended up getting a few extra factory magazines from CDNN. They're around $35 each, but they have the "ejector" spring which throws the magazine clear when you push the mag release. I prefer those to the plastic padded KRD mags you often see with these FM pistols. Your pistol should take any standard Hi-Power magazine.

Yours has a heavy trigger pull? I haven't fired mine in a little while, but I don't seem to remember it having an unusually heavy pull.

Here's a picture of mine, disregard the XSE at top, the photo was originally taken for something else.

Last edited by skyliner; 11-07-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skyliner View Post
    I think you got a good deal (although I'm a little surprised that a winning bid of $265 ends up costing you $350). ...
    OOOOOPS! A bit of over rounding on my part! $265 bid + $29 +$20 transfer = $314.00 total cost to me.

Senior Member ShootingMaster is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hi,
    the argentinean HP 35 is a reliable version of the Browning and it has been in production for several decades with minimum changes (if any) to the original design.
    They are made here in Argentina by a military factory: the Fray Luis Beltran factory at Santa Fe.

Older versions were made under Browning License but nowadays the Browning License rollmarks are not included anymore on slide markings.
    In the last years this model has been presented with a lower quality finish: they are not blued anymore.
    Instead of that they are painted with some kind of epoxi paint, and then baked.

Here is a link to manufacturer´s main page and to its semiauto pistols in current production:

FMFLB | Productos

There is a link also to an interesting new Model: the M02 A.R. (A.R. stands for "Acción Rápida" - FastAction) wich includes an interesting device that allows to cock the hammer by using the safety lever. It also functions as a decocker when pushed in the opposite direction.

New ones costs about 380-400 u$ in Argentina and are sold for both civilian and law enforcement markets.
    The argentine HP still is a police duty weapon in many states and most LEOs prefere it (due to its proven reliability over the years) rather than other current options such as Taurus or Bersa pistols.

Several years ago the HP was considered for Law enforcement use and as replacement to the old .45s such as the 1927 DGFM Sistema Colt and Ballester Molina that almost any state in Argentina had as official duty sidearm.

Hope that helps.
    Regards.-

Senior Member Lawman67 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    506 times
    I have an FM, tightly fitted, added an ambi safety, trigger job, shoots fine. If limited to a 9mm pistol, i would pick a High Power over any other 9 . Later FM models looked like the matte finish Brownings and had the ambi safety. Would be interested in the fast action model. Are any coming to the USA ?

Ads