• 1 Post By blackdog001

Thread: Attn. Blademan: Some rare bayonets for you to see

Supporting Member Malysh is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1326 times

Attn. Blademan: Some rare bayonets for you to see

Here's a couple of very rare original AR-10 bayonets.

The first pattern AR-10 bayonet as used on the Sudanese contract and Guatemalan contract rifles. It is copied from the German SG-42 bayonet. Here's a link showing an original German bayonet: ORIGINAL GERMAN WW2 ULTRA RARE SG 42 TOOL BAYONET | Militaria WWII For Sale

The bayonets were produced by or subcontracted by the Dutch company Artillerie Inrichtengen, the company ArmaLite licensed to produce AR-10 rifles in the mid-late 1950s. This is true for both the Sudanese and the Portuguese contract rifles and accessories. These were the primary models made during the original production runs, based on the size of the contract. There are other minor military contract variations.

AR-10 Sudanese bayonet

Notice the "multi tool" that is stored in the handle of the SG-42 and AR-10 Sudanese bayonets. The Sudanese pattern has 2 screwdriver blades, a slim spanner tool for adjusting the gas regulator on the rifle, and even a corksrew, if you can believe it.

AR-10 Portuguese pattern bayonet. These bayonets mount at the 12:00 position on the barrel instead of at the 6:00 position as is customary in most modern battle rifles. Notice the 12:00 position bayonet lug just forward of the front sight base on this close up of a Portuguese AR-10 barrel

Surprisingly, it does not affect shooting accuracy while firing in the semi auto mode. This is more of a basic pattern bayonet that is not designed to do a myriad of tasks.

AR-10 Portuguese bayonet

There were roughly 10,000 or slightly less AR-10 rifles build before ArmaLite terminated the mfg. license with the Dutch company A.I., which occured a short time before ArmaLite sold the patents to Colt's P.F. Mfg. Co. The patents also included the rights to manufacture the AR-15 rifle. Colt elected not to produce the AR-10 rifle and went full tilt with the AR-15 design.
    Of the 10,000 AR-10 rifles produced it is estimated that considerably less than half of them survive today, mainly in Austrialia, New Zealand, Canada, among a few Dutch collectors in Holland, and in the USA.

Bayonets, original sniper scopes (made by Delft and then later used for FAL rifles), and original manuals and promotional print items are even rarer than the rifles are today.
    Last edited by Malysh; 06-24-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Senior Member blackdog001 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    I enjoy these posts on bayonets: My Dad was in Army basic training in the late-1950's, DIs were, I am sure, Korean and maybe WWII vets. Pops says the only time the DIs got a bit "sketchy" was when the order came to "fix bayonets".

Pops also got pulled to do guard duty for prisoner transport when he was in the Reserves. The Sergeant asked if he was qualifed with a shotgun and he said no. Took him to the range, gave him two shells and told him to shoot the silhouette 15 yards away. When he hit the target (both times!), the Sergeant told him he was now qualified with a shotgun.
    Malysh likes this.

Senior Member Blademan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    605 times
    Mike,
    Thanks I love blades that is for sure. It it funny because I have collected all types of edged weapons at one time or another. But, I get bored with a certain type of blade and stop for something else. I sold a pretty large number of bayonets about 2-3 years ago to a friend who would not stop asking "will you sell those". I just recently started again, with one that was given to me by a friend, It is a very nice M1 Garand in original scabbard, and clean for it's age. I have since picked a few more up from "garage" sales. Yeah I know, but you can not beat the prices, and they are in very nice condition.

Blade

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1326 times
    I thought you might like to see a few bayonets that we don't run into often

I didn't have a chance to see many of your knives when I visited. Maybe next time.

Senior Member Blademan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    605 times
    Yeah I am in the procss of storing many of them . I have no room anymore, I have knives everywhere. I have to re-do my basement with more storage that I have easy access to. It is a work in progress, keeps me busy. I might be traveling to SARCO in a couple of weeks looking for handle screws for an old German bayonet. I will let you know.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1326 times
    Well, at least you have plenty of room in the basement.
    Good luck with SARCO. I read your post. I didn't have any suggestions for screws for the butcher blade German bayo handle.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads