Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Supposed 'Al Capone' ( Armored ) Car selles for big bucks at Auction -

Supporting Member Oyeboten is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1536 times

Supposed 'Al Capone' ( Armored ) Car selles for big bucks at Auction -

Al Capone Cadillac sells for $341,000 at RM St. John’s | Hemmings Blog: Classic and collectible cars and parts

& 31 more images and some text/description, here -

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails...=r114&Currency=

Definitely an interesting early example of an Armored Car of a Civillian kind, discretely done.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 07-31-2012 at 10:41 PM.
    rhmc24 likes this.

Senior Member feralmerril is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    That car would have went for a lot even if I had owned it!

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1594 times
    That car is beautiful. I'm actually surprised it didn't fetch a little more money.
    I believe Roosevelt used Al Capones car for a time.

Senior Member ssgunnip is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times
    I will let you guys know how it rides as soon as it arrives at my house......

Supporting Member Matchlock is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Put my saddle on the stove, Ma! I'm Ridin' the Range tonight.
    Liked
    1994 times
    I don't have a clue what Al Capone's car should go for but the fact that anyone would pay that much for a car with such "shaky" provenance is just plain dumb in my opinion.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that Jay Leno bought it. I read the text about it but didn't notice if it said who bought it or not. Does anyone know who bought it?

Bud
    "I shall pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Mhatma Gandhi

Supporting Member rhmc24 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2917 times
    Old cars are like old guns to me -- but with a couple differences, nice old cars cost too much, take up too much room and I don't have any.
    Chaffee and bruceg like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1536 times
    Quote Originally Posted by twaits View Post
    That car is beautiful. I'm actually surprised it didn't fetch a little more money.
    I believe Roosevelt used Al Capones car for a time.

Prolly one of the V-16 Caddys rather than this one.

I think both of those guys had Brain Syphilis...

Senior Member gmiller0737 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I saw that car when it was on Display @ The Smokey Mountian Car Musem Pigeon Forge Tn. in the mid 1980's it was awesome then & in Great condition from what I could tell.

Senior Member gmiller0737 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmc24 View Post
    Old cars are like old guns to me -- but with a couple differences, nice old cars cost too much, take up too much room and I don't have any.
    True but Restoring a Old Car makes it more valuable but restoring a Old Gun decreases it's value.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1536 times
    [QUOTE=gmiller0737;368831]True but Restoring a Old Car makes it more valuable but restoring a Old Gun decreases it's value.[/QUOTE

It all depends...

Of the many thousands of high condition, genuinely "Original" old Cars which used to be out there even a couple decades ago, ones which were nevcer re-Painted or re-Upolstered, very very few remain now.

I only met one person since the 1970s who ever cared about actual 'Originality' in old Cars and Trucks...everyone else was a compulsive re-doer who HAD to repaint, reupolster and often enough, drop in an SBC and so on, as well.

The old Car Audience is typically, sadly, no where near as sophisticated as the Antique Gun Audience is, especially when it comes to gushing over really "BAD" re-dos, being dishonestly called 'restorations', which almost no one's naive re-dos ever are.

It's a different market, and has different players than old Guns.

Out of the last 500 old Car or Truck so called 'restorations' I have seen, none were ( 'restorations' )...they were merely naive or ignorant re-dos, usually done badly, departing severely from what the actual Paint and upolstry once had been,and, yes, many of these do sell for big dough, since the buyer is just as indifferent or ignorant or both, or is only into modern 're-do', as compulsion, as whoever did the bad re-do had been.

So many entirely correct, original, low milliage, intact, intact factory Pin Stripes even, never messed with Cars and Trucks get badly re-done because of a weird mindless compulsion for EVERYTHING to be 'shiney' and 'new' looking...as if these people were Apes, or because they have or seek women who would NOT ride in it otherwise, so, that then is the measure of their manhood on that.

Once they are done, the result has 'zero' authenticity, ''zero" charm, "zero" honesty, "zero" character, and, looking at it, no one would ever have any way to know what the Original Paint and Pinstripes or Colors had once been, no one would ever know what the actual 'Original' interior details and Upholstry ( and even Gauges ) had once been, and, often enough, a lot else gets changed also.

Breaks my Heart...

I have had and enjoyed as Daily Drivers, several 1930s Cars which were very "original" ( factory original Paint and Pinstripe and interior, nothing changed but for new Rotor, Cap, Points & Plugs and maybe Tires and Tubes and Brake Linings re-done by me ) and these had sat since early WWII or so, till I got them.

Paint was like 90 percent, interior close to 100 percent.

Everywhere I went, some dolt would walk up asking "When you gunna 'restore' it??"

Maybe, in thirty years of having such Cars, m-a-y-b-e, one person in all that time understood that I prefered the Car to BE 'Original', and not 'restored'.

This then is the measure of that - virtually no one in the old Car 'hobby' even cares about or wants actual, unmessed with originality, they want shams and collusion and BS and fake superficial re-dos ( shiney ones, 'emron' ones! Clear Coat ones! Upolstry like 'velcro'! ) and want everything to be 'brand new' and to claim falsely then, that their Car IS "100 percent Original!" and "restored''! - when it never is anything even close to that.

One could not hope to find a bigger bunch of dolts.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 08-01-2012 at 06:39 PM.
    up196 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads