+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Do you wipe down your AR-15 every time you pick it up?

Member marathonrunner is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Do you wipe down your AR-15 every time you pick it up?

Hey guys, am wondering if all you Colt owners wipe down your AR everytime you pick it up? I usually keep a wet coat of oil all over the barrel, iron sights, and bolt but as far as the aluminum receiver both upper and lower, and front quad rail, I try to keep that dry as possible. Am wondering if aluminum can rust. Yes been told it can but on my aluminum framed bike, for instance, never seen any rust on there. What if I were to paint over it? Would that make it more rust resistent? Any suggestions?

Senior Member dogface6 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1218 times
    The Army states a 'light' coat of oil - not a 'wet' one.

That means there's 'just barely' enough for a fingertip to displace, and no more, since that attracts dust.

The aluminum has a coating that's resistant to pretty much everything except sharp gouges - so yours is safe.

Next time you go to a gun show - pick up a copy of TM 9-1005-319-10 - you'll learn a myriad of things.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1689 times
    The aluminum can't rust, but I keep a thin coat of CLP Breakfree on the aluminum parts because it tends to shed water and sweat, and it evens out the finish and prevents it from taking on a blotchy look.

Some people complain on buying a Colt that the finish comes out of the box with an odd, blotchy look, especially around parts like the magazine catch.
    This is the factory preservative lubricant oozing out of the cracks and joints onto the aluminum and giving it that blotchy look.
    Applying a thin coat of CLP evens all that out, and removes the sticky factory lube.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks guys! I also called the local gun store and was told the only thing that really needs oil is the bolt. The barrel, outer and inner can be dry as well as aluminum receivers.

Supporting Member elliotf is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1118 times
    We never were worried about the looks of the AR-15/M16, only if they always functioned. :-) Anything to keep them lubed worked well.

GGF
    Member GGF is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I always wipe down anything metal I touch on a gun with an oily rag.
    Just a hold over from what Dad told me!

GGF

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elliotf View Post
    We never were worried about the looks of the AR-15/M16, only if they always functioned. :-) Anything to keep them lubed worked well.
    OK Elliot, let me ask you this. I just paid $2400+ tax for my 6940. Had I paid $1,100 dollars if there were some minor assembly dings and scratches, would you fuss over them? I could care less but being I paid 2400 dollars, my tolerance for dings has become practically zero, meaning I was getting on Colt USA to replace the upper completely. Since I don't ever plan on shooting it, it is all the more reason I have become intolerable to any scratches or dings

Senior Member oberon is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Nope.
    I punch 'em out when I'm done. And I make sure they have adequate lube and I inspect 'em in between times, but I'm not too big on the oily rifle thing.
    I shoot the livin' tits off mine.
    I would suspect that to be the real practical purpose of ownig ARs, don'cha think?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Nope.
    I punch 'em out when I'm done. And I make sure they have adequate lube and I inspect 'em in between times, but I'm not too big on the oily rifle thing.
    I shoot the livin' tits off mine.
    I would suspect that to be the real practical purpose of ownig ARs, don'cha think?
    yes but i just bought mine for a collectable. The 6940 will be discontinued

Senior Member RDak is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by marathonrunner View Post
    OK Elliot, let me ask you this. I just paid $2400+ tax for my 6940. Had I paid $1,100 dollars if there were some minor assembly dings and scratches, would you fuss over them? I could care less but being I paid 2400 dollars, my tolerance for dings has become practically zero, meaning I was getting on Colt USA to replace the upper completely. Since I don't ever plan on shooting it, it is all the more reason I have become intolerable to any scratches or dings
    Your's seemed to be more than normal from my anecdotal experience.

I bought a 6940 upper last summer and it had no scratches and no stains in the barrel/receiver area.

I did use my own stripped lower and lower parts, so only one half of the gun was made/sold by Colt.

If I paid $2,400 for a rifle, I wouldn't be happy if it was as scratched and stained as your's was. Your's does appear to have been out of the norm and a bit excessive from the way you describe it and the pictures of the stain you posted IMHO.

ETA: The stain has me a bit mystified as to why so many solvents you tried did not remove it. I admit I would not have been happy with that.
    Last edited by RDak; 01-23-2013 at 01:56 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads