Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I scored another gun this evening

Senior Member 84cadillac is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    32 times

I scored another gun this evening

I heard Merle "Mike" Walker was selling some guns so I called and made an appointment to see what was for sale. For those who do not know Mike, he was the leader of the team at Remington that developed the 700 Mike Walker discussing Model 700 History - YouTube

I saw two rimfire rifles, a Remington and a Winchester. Both were more than I wanted to spend, so I bought a Remington 700 high grade. This is a Remington 700 high grade in 7mm Mag. It has a 5 digit serial number with no letters (no date code). Mike threw in a box of ammunition and components. He is liiking for a sling and dies for me also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Luke 22:36

Senior Member dmar is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Congratulations on your rifle, sounds like a beauty! Since you brought it up, you now have to post some picture! I wan to see this high grade 7mag (one of my favorite rifle calibers...).

Where is he located, I'm assuming Asheville...?

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mike lives in Hendersonville, NC. He is a neighbor of my Father's. The rifle has a Leupold 3-9 scope on it that was personally selected for Mike by the sales manager of Leupold.

Attached Images
    Last edited by 84cadillac; 01-22-2013 at 07:49 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    217 times
    Sweet, as much as I like Colts. I love the lines of a good rifle. That looks like a beauty. I also like the Remingtons. I have a CDL model 700 in .35 Whelen and a Model 7MS in .257 Roberts. Both look and shoot great!! Enjoy a very nice rifle. Now we need a range report.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by broknaxl View Post
    Now we need a range report.
    That may have to wait. I am a member of an indoor range, but the outdoor range I can use is on USFS land 100 miles away. Mike said this rifle isn't really a shooter. I took that to mean it was just a "regular" rifle. Mike holds a bench rest record for a 100 yard 5 shot group with a maximum spread of .047 inch. This rifle has been on safari in Africa. I saw a couple of his trophies.

This rifle is nice, but it has definitely not been a "safe queen". It has a couple of scratches on the wood and the jeweling on the bolt has faded some.

Now I am fighting the urge to go back and buy the rimfires he has. He also has some benchrest rifles.

Supporting Member kdave21 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Very nice looking rifle. Just out of curiosity, did he give you any kind of bill of sale, or provenance with his name on it? The only reason I ask is I think something like that would increase the value of the rifle, should you or your heirs ever decide to sell it. Just a thought, not trying to be nosy!

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Yes, I got a Bill of Sale. I would post it here but it has some personal information on it. Mike's daughter created it on the computer and Mike signed it. While Mike is fairly well known, he is not in a league with presidents or cabinet officials or even entertainment personalities. I very much like the connection here, Mike is the head of the Remington 700 rifle design team and I have his 700 rifle. This rifle was made for Mike. His daughter asked Mike if he built it (He does build rifles). He said he didn't think so, but he may have watched it being assembled. Then again, Mike is a bit well known for testimony he gave in the suits about the 700 rifle There is another You Tube video of him explaining this. Basically, he designed a "fix" for this and was overruled because it cost an additional 4. He told them at the time they would be sorry.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the rifle. I haven't hunted in years. It would kill a whitetail, of course, but you don't need a belted magnum for that. My Brother has a .300 Weatherby, perhaps we will go on a big game hunt together. 7mm mag. isn't exactly a plinker. Mike still has two rimfire rifles, both have custom touches from his time at Remington. Both have more scope on them than most reasonable people would put on them. He also has some benchrest rifles. He told me he was still building a benchrest rifle for a friend.

It would be neet to offer it for sale on Gunbroker with a fantastic reserve just to see what the gun community thinks it is worth. I won't do that of course, I do not intend to sell it anytime soon.

If you have a minute, say a Prayer for Mike and Sue Walker.
    Last edited by 84cadillac; 01-23-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Supporting Member kdave21 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    204 times
    Yes, I got a Bill of Sale. I would post it here but it has some personal information on it. Mike's daughter created it on the computer and Mike signed it. While Mike is fairly well known, he is not in a league with presidents or cabinet officials or even entertainment personalities. I very much like the connection here, Mike is the head of the Remington 700 rifle design team and I have his 700 rifle. This rifle was made for Mike. His daughter asked Mike if he built it (He does build rifles). He said he didn't think so, but he may have watched it being assembled. Then again, Mike is a bit well known for testimony he gave in the suits about the 700 rifle There is another You Tube video of him explaining this. Basically, he designed a "fix" for this and was overruled because it cost an additional 4. He told them at the time they would be sorry.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the rifle. I haven't hunted in years. It would kill a whitetail, of course, but you don't need a belted magnum for that. My Brother has a .300 Weatherby, perhaps we will go on a big game hunt together. 7mm mag. isn't exactly a plinker. Mike still has two rimfire rifles, both have custom touches from his time at Remington. Both have more scope on them than most reasonable people would put on them. He also has some benchrest rifles. He told me he was still building a benchrest rifle for a friend.

It would be neet to offer it for sale on Gunbroker with a fantastic reserve just to see what the gun community thinks it is worth. I won't do that of course, I do not intend to sell it anytime soon.

If you have a minute, say a Prayer for Mike and Sue Walker.
    Thanks for sharing all of that. You definitely came upon a neat opportunity. Those rimfires would be tempting, but I think you made the right choice with starting with the 700. I cant think of anybody better to buy a 700 from! Its also cool to hear that he was still in the process of building a benchrest rifle for a friend. Granted, as you said, hes not a president, or some other high profile figure, but how often do you get to meet a man who designed one of the worlds most popular rifles? A rare opportunity landed in your lap, for sure. Enjoy the rifle, and thanks again for telling us about it.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Here is the bill of sale

Senior Member hookedon1911s is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    257 times
    So sweet. If the .22s look anything like that I would have to make a return trip. It ain't a Colt but you have to love a good quality firearm like that

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads