Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Safe is full. Now what?

Senior Member Toidroid is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Safe is full. Now what?

Well. I have filled my small gun safe to the point where I think it is foolish to keep so many firearms in a cheap safe. When I had 4 long guns and one pistol, it was just fine. No longer the case today.

What are the best brands of safe going these days? Or maybe which ones to not consider?

Any opinions?

Junior Member Tappan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Liberty Safe Company, Great customer service. I have bought Browning as well with no issue.

ace
    Senior Member ace is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    239 times
    best brand is debatable. what price range are you at? what's really the best overall is probably more expensive than most of us want to spend or can afford. i have a fort knox which i think is among the best. i'm also looking for another safe and am considering a liberty or heritage which are both very good.
    basically you should look for american made, (the chinese safes are junk) thick steel, bolts on more than one side of the door, and a bare minimum 30minute fire protection. the thicker steel, more locking bolts, and better fire protection is what drives up the prices but increase your security.

Senior Member Toidroid is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    I love my Fort Knox pistol box. It is like a tank. I now have a sentry gun safe. Not the best, but I think the best of the cheap ones. I was thinking Liberty, or Cannon or maybe splurge and get a Ft Knox. I see lots of other names, like say Patriot, or some others. I was thinking that at times the good value and high performing equipment is not always the name you knew as a kid. I would think that the Winchester safes arrive by boat, whereas others do not.

lh1
    Junior Member lh1 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    In big cities, you can often pick up jewelry store and bank safes tl30 and higher rated from closed businesses for next to nothing. Keep in mind that these safes often weigh 2000+ lb, so you need a suitable location. Found a safe for a relative at a closing jewelry store in the diamond district in NY a few years back. UL listed 2 hour fire rating, tl30 theft rating aprox 50 inches tall - $300 + $500 for a pro safe mover. Well under the cost of a mid-level gun safe and much better protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Toidroid View Post
    Well. I have filled my small gun safe to the point where I think it is foolish to keep so many firearms in a cheap safe. When I had 4 long guns and one pistol, it was just fine. No longer the case today.

What are the best brands of safe going these days? Or maybe which ones to not consider?

Any opinions?

Supporting Member jtex54 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I have a Canon and it's a pretty darn good safe for the money. I think its most important to anchor these things to the floor/ or slab if possible. They are the most vulnerable when a thief can get them on their back.

Senior Member hookedon1911s is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    Went thru this same thing 10 months ago. About drove myself crazy. Already have a older Liberty. Metala little to then on the new ones. Wanted a Fort Knox but was more money than I wanted to spend. Bought a Browning. Really like it. When you buy one, look at it and say "I will never fill that up". Get that one.

Supporting Member MtnSpur is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1333 times
    Tractor Supply typically has Cannon safes on sale during and after the holidays. These safes are made specifically for TSC and a 24 gun is about $750 OTD. One of my Cannon's developed a problem with the electronic keypad and I had to call tech support. While I had to jump through some hoops for security reasons we were able to open the safe and they shipped a new keypad and locking mechanism free of charge. The install would have taken 10 minutes max but I double and triple checked everything while I had the liner out of the door to make sure nothing else was amiss. Why this keypad went bad is anyone's guess but it took 3 years. My other Cannon I've had for 7-8 years and never an issue. Good customer service and warranty.
    "The end comes no matter what, the only thing that matters is how do you wanna go out, on your feet or on your knees?".....FBI Director James Grace from "The Kingdom"

Senior Member Blackjack33 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I really like my Cannon 17-gun safe. It was reasonably priced and gives me peace-of-mind. It may not be the best burglar-proof safe, but someone will have to work awhile to get into it and it meets my insurance company's requirements.

Junior Member black1970 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Have had a Browning since 1989. It was the largest at the time. 1100 lbs. empty. Love it. But it is full and I need another.

Ads