Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopalong

Thread: Colt customer service

Senior Member Vintage Racer is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    179 times

Colt customer service

OK, I mentioned back in February (2013) that I had a hard time getting Colt on the phone to give them my credit card number to pay for an invoice for work on an old Colt 1911. I finally hung up and sent them a check the same day. The check cleared my bank.

I got another invoice today for the same work. I called my bank, and they assured me that the check had cleared. They would send me a copy of the check (no charge). This took 3 minutes. My bank thanked me for calling.

I call Colt. I am "on hold" most of the morning trying to give them money. I hang up. I call back well after lunch. Finally, I get someone to explain my problem. I give them my credit card and tell them to charge it. I asked them to keep it on file since calling them is near impossible. I may need more work done in the future.

I now have to send them a copy of my canceled check to prove that I paid them before so I can get the refund from my credit card charge. JMO, the Colt workmanship is very good while service and bookkeeping services are not so good.

The 1911 that has been there since February:

It will be back soon (the guys in the shop are true masters of their work). I am a little surprised that bookkeeping can get their payroll checks out on time.

Cliff notes: Give accounting your CC number before asking for work.
    Colt & S&W revolver and Colt 1911 accumulator

Supporting Member Hopalong is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1572 times
    Just curious - if your bank agreed to provide you a copy of the check, why didn't you explain that to customer service instead of paying again with a credit card? If I was in your situation I'd be concerned that the second payment would just confuse things.
    Matchlock likes this.

Senior Member ussmanlovede36 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    134 times
    sad too say but customer service not so much. i sent them my colt saa and it came back with the same problem. after much thought i traded it in on another colt saa that i checked out thoroughly before i bought it. i will never buy over the internet again. but i have too say it was not the sellers fought. it was an engraved colt saa and they did not check out the action and did not even turn the action because it was engraved. it was a third gen from the early 90's. i now will only buy current saa's.

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
    Just curious - if your bank agreed to provide you a copy of the check, why didn't you explain that to customer service instead of paying again with a credit card? If I was in your situation I'd be concerned that the second payment would just confuse things.
    My checking accounts are different banks than my credit cards.

I am retired. I have plenty of extra time to prove my position via mail or email. I just don't like to be held on hold on the phone.

Hopalong, I am willing to give Colt the benefit of understanding since I've seen the work of the shop guys. They are really good at what they do. They can't help it when someone in the accounting department makes a mistake. I'll work with accounting once I get a copy of the canceled check.

You'll see once I get the 1911 back and go to the range. They'll never really just fix it; they'll also polish it up just because they are proud of what they do. I'll post it.

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Just a follow-up (no complaints).

I got the copy of the check from my bank and sent it to Colt on Friday. Today (the next business day after I sent it), I got a nice call from Colt accounting. There was some mix-up in accounting, and they are putting me back in line with the date of my check. They are crediting my credit card.

I'll post a picture when I get it back.

MVK
    Junior Member MVK is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    When I dealt with them (last year) they only seemed to have two people that answered the phones and did all the paperwork, so I was often on hold and it did take more than a few calls to get everything ironed out. However, the quality of the work was worth it, and I was pleased at the end of it all.

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    An update:
    I received the Colt MK IV Series 70 (B70, so it's a collet bushing Series 70 from around 1980) from Colt Service last Friday.

It is very good. I've tried it on the range with a couple of different rounds.

The firing pin centers the .45 ACP cartridge. The pistol ejects everything that I can throw on it.

Colt decided that the collet bushing was good. They went with the original barrel and bushing---I gave them full desecration on replacement parts.

It was the ejector on the Colt that failed (after 33 years). It's good to go now.

Senior Member BobWright is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    573 times
    I'm sort of of the opinion I'd rather take my gun to the nearest garage than to deal with Colt!

Bob Wright

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BobWright View Post
    I'm sort of of the opinion I'd rather take my gun to the nearest garage than to deal with Colt!
    Bob,
    You may be correct. I don't know. I've dealt with Colt twice.

The first time it was with a Series 70 replica:

The second time it was a Series 70:

Ads