Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Dirty Harry gun value

Supporting Member what would you say is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times

Dirty Harry gun value

Local got in a Auto Mag 44 AMP High Standard with original box, manual, oiler, wrenches, and 3 mags. 400 rounds of reload 44 AMP ammo. Condition is 95 to 98%, having normal signs of being shot. Grips are excellent shape, smooth brown. Was told everything original. Examples online mostly have black checkered grips though, so not sure about the grips. Asking is little over $2K. All I know on the gun is what the Blue Book of Guns has on it's extensive write-up on the modelGun shop says it's a deal and will be asking much more if it lists online. Anyone know this gun and "feel lucky". I wouldn't bite without finding out more. I've never seen one and they do seem to be scarce, but I would be looking to fire some rounds and resale.

Supporting Member Colt75 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    I think that is a good price. Last one I saw for sale was quite a bit more than that and had no ammunition, brass, or extra magazines. JMHO.

Supporting Member Dirty Harry is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    I recently acquired one the the original run Auto-Mag Model 180 made in Pasadena #499. I paid $4500, gun is in 99% mint condition w/ original box, manuals, & tools. There is quite a price difference between this first run and the later 'North Hollywood' or 'El Monte' built guns marked TDE.

My gun has the AM logo on the side, not the TDE or other logos that came later.

The hardest part is finding original .44 Auto-Mag ammo. The Dies to reload are easy to come by but finding the original manufactured ammo is crazy expensive, $4 - $5 a round :/

Anyway, I love mine and only seeing it appreciating in value in the coming years.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    am1.jpgAM2.jpgam3.jpg

I found it on GB, was listed for $4999, I ended up buying it for $4500 delivered. A lot of $$, but worth it to me.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times
    I can't remember the different markings that would give more info towards value. I see that the gun photo posted above shows the grips that I see on almost all examples I've found. The local for sale has only the smooth brown grips. I'm thinking this were replacements of that time and not sure if they could be original, as I did see a closed auction that had the same brown grips. Obviously Dirty Harry, our forum member, has a slight chance of being a fan and collector. I was talking it over with a friend who has money to invest, but I knew so little about this gun. I told him it was better to get the details, because if it's like Colt guns, collectors will buy the higher amount gun that's mint and all original in a heartbeat. The used gun that's not original has to be priced to sell, otherwise it has to wait for the buyer that wants a shooter or the buyer that just doesn't know any better. I just didn't know how sweet the pot was on this package with 4 boxes of 100 rounds, reloads, no factory ammo boxes, and if if there is a large group of collectors or just a small group making this one a hard sell for a gun with a snake gun price tag.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    414 times
    Please 'google' Auto Mag Model 180, and you will find several sites explaining the difference in collectability and value in the first run from Pasadena, and the later re-issues that followed. There is quite a value difference for sure.

AutoMag (pistol) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 44 AutoMag Pistol: The forgotten handcannon - Guns.com

Supporting Member David13 is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    I saw a big thing on tv Sunday about the history of the Dirty Harry gun, specifically the S&W model 29.
    I guess the Auto Mag was used in Sudden Impact.
    dc
    Dirty Harry likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    414 times

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1050 times
    Thanks Dirty Harry for your help. Those two links used in tandem helped me determine a value on the local gun. I don't remember all the markings, but I'm sure it was stamped high Standard so that makes it an El Monte gun (according to the first linked site) and not a Pasadena gun. The second link details pricing which reveals the Pasadena gun as the grail gun of collectors as price reflects with starting prices of $2k. The El Monte guns run $1700 to $2k. I would value the local gun, being an El Monte with condition showing wear with ammo ..I'd say it's priced accurately now and not worth a higher price change.
    Dirty Harry likes this.

Senior Member twaits will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    1559 times
    My Dad has the other famous Dirty Harry gun. Early pre M29 from about 1958

Ads