Poll: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie? What's best?

View Poll Results: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • IWB strong-side hip

46 21.90%
  • Appendix IWB (roughly 12-2 o'clock for righties)

8 3.81%
  • OWB strong-side hip

60 28.57%
  • Pocket carry

49 23.33%
  • Cross draw

13 6.19%
  • Shoulder holster

15 7.14%
  • Ankle holster

11 5.24%
  • Small of back

8 3.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Poll: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie? What's best?

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Ok, questions:

1. For everyone: what holster do you prefer for your preferred mode of carry (if you haven't commented and specified already)?
    2. For those carrying AIWB (appendix): do you not get jabbed in the stomach? If not, how do you prevent this?
    3. For those carrying OWB: what are you using to conceal it? I typically just wear a t-shirt (I work for myself and the boss is pretty lenient on dress code ) and am thinking those carrying OWB have got to be concealing it with at least a somewhat oversized button-down if not a jacket.
    4. For those carrying crossdraw: IWB or OWB, and I really would like to know what holster you're using (not too many crossdraw holsters out there, especially those made for a not-too-popular gun like the Colt revolvers).
    Last edited by ShootDeliberately; 05-08-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    "Shoot deliberately."

- Wyatt Earp

Member #
    Liked
    6213 times
    What works well for me - may not work for you as well.

Same's true of pretty much everyone - physically, we're built differently and have differing ranges of motion - due to various infirmities that happened over time.

Carry what's most 'natural' to your own hand - and buy the best quality you can find - and when you carry, make sure no one else knows.

FYI - wearing a vest is a great way to catch the first round, should things get heated in a hurry.

In today's world - the guy wearing one is the guy who's strapped, he's the biggest threat, he's the guy you put on the ground first...

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    One of my several full careers was in law enforcement. Never in uniform and such as having often to fly commercially, I and my colleagues were fully involved with aspects of 'concealed carry'. There are simply a large variety of factors involved! Just ergonomics of such as comfort, the relative need for rapid weapon 'deployment', concealability issues particularly involving climate, attire and lifestyle (personal or professional); all these becmoe issues factoring into the larger picture.

It's first simply a great advantage when a weapon isn't a mandated appendage and one can select the occasions it will accompany. For me and most mandated 'wearers' in the non-uniformed profession during my career, we utilized a variety of carry methods and modes. I also carried a few different weapons depending on the occasion. Being right handed, my accustomed official carry was just aft of my right hip, but where possible with some room to reposition without dismounting. I generally utilized a readily detachable holster that I could conveniently stash under my car seat. Such for the many occasions when the weapon was more of a liability (or pain) than asset. I also very occasionally utilized an ankle holster, though I largely consider them impractical for other than 'dark bars' and the like. One of my favored modes was a fannypack, this about the only one for such as econo airline seating or where a coat, jacket or other concealing clothing wasn't appropriate.

Frankly, though authorized post retirement, I have never 'carried', and personally the happier for it. But were it again necessary, I'd be looking for a compact 9mm auto such as the Glock 26 with which I ended my career. Not trying for any rapid deployment use, I'd now be using the same over the shoulder small pouch container as for my oversized Sony Phablet mobile phone. Hopefully in my advancing years, I wouldn't get them confused!

Finally just an admission and perhaps apology. The admission that my views are based on when I was carrying in a younger and 'fitter' time of different physical proportions and agility. Perhaps such unduly colors my perceptions. Second, that ordinarily I don't follow the 'concealed carry' topic. Perhaps more reminiscence here than useful opinion!
    Yet in all cases...
    My take.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iskra View Post
    One of my several full careers was in law enforcement. Never in uniform and such as having often to fly commercially, I and my colleagues were fully involved with aspects of 'concealed carry'. There are simply a large variety of factors involved! Just ergonomics of such as comfort, the relative need for rapid weapon 'deployment', concealability issues particularly involving climate, attire and lifestyle (personal or professional); all these becmoe issues factoring into the larger picture.

It's first simply a great advantage when a weapon isn't a mandated appendage and one can select the occasions it will accompany. For me and most mandated 'wearers' in the non-uniformed profession during my career, we utilized a variety of carry methods and modes. I also carried a few different weapons depending on the occasion. Being right handed, my accustomed official carry was just aft of my right hip, but where possible with some room to reposition without dismounting. I generally utilized a readily detachable holster that I could conveniently stash under my car seat. Such for the many occasions when the weapon was more of a liability (or pain) than asset. I also very occasionally utilized an ankle holster, though I largely consider them impractical for other than 'dark bars' and the like. One of my favored modes was a fannypack, this about the only one for such as econo airline seating or where a coat, jacket or other concealing clothing wasn't appropriate.

Frankly, though authorized post retirement, I have never 'carried', and personally the happier for it. But were it again necessary, I'd be looking for a compact 9mm auto such as the Glock 26 with which I ended my career. Not trying for any rapid deployment use, I'd now be using the same over the shoulder small pouch container as for my oversized Sony Phablet mobile phone. Hopefully in my advancing years, I wouldn't get them confused!

Finally just an admission and perhaps apology. The admission that my views are based on when I was carrying in a younger and 'fitter' time of different physical proportions and agility. Perhaps such unduly colors my perceptions. Second, that ordinarily I don't follow the 'concealed carry' topic. Perhaps more reminiscence here than useful opinion!
    Yet in all cases...
    My take.
    That was fascinating, sir, thank you.

...if I may ask, I can't help myself I'm curious: air marshal?

And I agree on the impracticality of ankle holsters, I just can't see how they'd be remotely practical except as a last ditch back-up piece for when you're rolling around on the ground about to get stabbed.
    "Shoot deliberately."

- Wyatt Earp

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I do apologize for spouting off. My career was certainly nothing at all like that of an Air Marshal; if anything rather at the opposite end of the professional spectrum with definite emphasis on power of the pen. Flying was my personal nightmare ‘carry’ environment and I just tried to relate such in the context of an ultimate ‘boat anchor’ scenario; nothing more. The main theme of my post was of ‘carry’ in terms of a counterpoint to such as comfort and convenience. In a nonobligatory and non ultrahazardous carry environment, I would rate comfort and convenience factors at the top of concealed carry considerations.
    Just my take.

Member #
    Liked
    6213 times
    I've known more than a few guys who had a thin leather pocket sewn in place of a trouser pocket of their slacks - they carried lightweight stuff for the most part.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I had a holster made for my 3rd generation COLT DS by SAM ANDREWS! It's a work of art and fits as if I was measured for tailor made Suit. I've tried several store purchased holsters for the DS, but after seeing and physically holding a SAM ANDREWS hand made holsterThe decision was made! Absolutely SUPERB CRAFTSMANSHIP that is obvious!I selected the COWHIDE but he has EVERY exotic skin you can think of!

gvf

Member #
    Liked
    2302 times
    OWB at 3:30 (plus a Steve McQueen style shoulder holster but rarely). OWB, strong side is both comfortable and I hate a revolvers bulge IWB, uncomfortable. Conceal under vest or open button shirt, jacket whatever. Best for me it's the easiest place to get the gun out quickly if you'd need it fast. Appendix-Carry may arguably be faster but I never found a holster comfortable when sitting. Though of a Driving Holster instead: keeps gun horizontal. Never bought one though.

And of course, everyone's absolute favorite, EARRING CARRY (DS 2"):

earing.jpg
    Last edited by gvf; 05-12-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2062 times
    This is my primary carry holster; inexpensive, utilitarian, and bought from a local vender at a gun show. I position it between my side and back pocket covered with a T-shirt:
    DS 2.jpg
    But I also use this Galco if I have to go somewhere where I do not want to advertise I have a gun (like the VA) by wearing a holster. I usually use it as a pocket holster:
    DS 3.jpg
    Ken
    "I like Colts and will die that way"

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    If you prefer thumb - break holsters, Bianchi makes some very nice ones as well for the DS.
    My usual carry: Bianchi #5 OWB @ about 3:30. Carries high and snug to the body:

On occasion I use a Bianchi #3S IWB. It has an adjustable cant...but not as comfortable as OWB for me because of the thickness:
    Happy trails!
    Erv

”A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” ~Sigmund Freud

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links