Poll: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie? What's best?

View Poll Results: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • IWB strong-side hip

46 21.90%
  • Appendix IWB (roughly 12-2 o'clock for righties)

8 3.81%
  • OWB strong-side hip

60 28.57%
  • Pocket carry

49 23.33%
  • Cross draw

13 6.19%
  • Shoulder holster

15 7.14%
  • Ankle holster

11 5.24%
  • Small of back

8 3.81%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Poll: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie? What's best?

Member #
    Liked
    47 times

Question Poll: What's your preferred method for concealed-carrying a snubbie? What's best?

I just want to know what people think is the best way to carry a snubbie like a Detective Special or a snubbie of similar size. I have a DS I'd like to carry (I'm in Texas, it has to be concealed), I recently got a holster for it that just didn't work for me (it's a Bianchi 100 Professional): I initially wanted to carry it in the appendix position (around 2 o'clock, I'm right-handed) and that didn't work as I couldn't really bend over too well without the grip jabbing me in the stomach, so I switched it over to strong-side-hip at about 3 o'clock and that didn't work (printed, cylinder jabbed into my hip) unless I moved it further behind the hip than I'm really comfortable with - around 4 o'clock - because that far back it prints if I bend over at all and it's too difficult to get when seated in the car (part of the reason I wanted to switch to appendix position carry).

I think what I need is either an IWB holster with a thicker back (to protect me from the cylinder) and a good forward cant on it (like 20 degrees or so) that I can put at 3 o'clock or, and this is really what I'd prefer, an AIWB (appendix IWB) holster that rides much lower that way I won't get jabbed in the stomach as badly. I'm also open to crossdraw and outside-the-waistband though I don't know how well those will conceal under a t-shirt but I'm willing to try them (does anyone make an IWB crossdraw holster?).

Would also, of course, love to hear comments and advice on the best way to concealed-carry a snubbie like a DS or similarly-sized revolver (Agent, Cobra, S&W M15 2", etc.), just whatever you personally have found to work the best. I've CCW'ed semi-autos for a couple years now - either a Glock 23, Sig P228, Kahr PM9, or a Glock 19 - but I've never tried carrying a revolver until just a few days ago. Help!
    Last edited by ShootDeliberately; 05-06-2014 at 08:02 PM.
    "Shoot deliberately."

- Wyatt Earp

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    I remember your early posting about the Bianchi 100 Pro; it's a vertical carry as I recall.

Best place to carry a short-barrel revolver (4" and less) is at the waistband, for both comfort and concealability, is at roughly 3:30 with a 24+ degree angle, and the cylinder right on your love handle. Inside or outside the waistband. Galco does it very well (I don't make revolver holsters). You won't even know its there.
    Blademan likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    398 times
    +1

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rednichols View Post
    I remember your early posting about the Bianchi 100 Pro; it's a vertical carry as I recall.

Best place to carry a short-barrel revolver (4" and less) is at the waistband, for both comfort and concealability, is at roughly 3:30 with a 24+ degree angle, and the cylinder right on your love handle. Inside or outside the waistband. Galco does it very well (I don't make revolver holsters). You won't even know its there.
    Yes, the Bianchi 100 is a completely vertical (and unadjustable for cant) holster, which I thought would be ideal for appendix carry. Is there a specific Galco model you'd recommend? I was also meaning to make a separate thread and ask people what they thought about the quality of Galco's versus the smaller hand-made holsters from people like Ryan Grizzle, Alessi, Milt Sparks, etc. - anyone who'd like to respond to that question right here and now is more than welcome.
    "Shoot deliberately."

- Wyatt Earp

Member #
    Liked
    84 times
    I have tried these so far. The Agent/shoulder rig on the left of the pic and the Kahr 9mm IWB some where in front left or right are the 2 ways that I use most.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Appendix IWB while driving & then pocket carry!

Member #
    Liked
    9855 times
    After trying most of the CC positions with my New Service snubs, I only got big painful lumps, so I gave up ----

Leather by Wwatt Burp
    Collects and bmcgilvray like this.

Member #
    Liked
    962 times
    I carry a snub on my ankle as a back up piece . If I am only carrying the snub, I may carry in an ankle rig if I am dressed where I can not conceal it anywhere else. When I carry my 2 1/2 inch Python, or DB it is strong side OWB with a light vest or jacket to cover. My S&W 325 Night Guard I use a Galco shoulder rig, again with the vest or jacket. I also like the Galco speed paddle holster. The model 19 2 1/2 inch rides in a Galco paddle holster, the Colt PP 2 inch in a small belt holster, with some type of covering usually a very light vest.

Member #
    Liked
    230 times
    ibewbull likes this.
    Jim - Signal_20

Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Just bought a Galco horsehide pocket holster for my S&W J frame, and works great in cargo pants. Tried IWB, and would have to buy different size pants to be comfortable.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links