Colt Forum banner

Waiting game advice

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Parrisjr 
#1 ·
So I just bought my first gun ever (STS Python) from an online store. It will take about 10 business days to get here. So now I get to play the waiting game...and that waiting game probably includes buying things. So guys, as a soon to be first time gun owner, is there anything I should buy that seems obvious to own that someone completely new wouldn't have?

I already bought a case and lock for transporting to and from the range. The range I go to (indoors) has ear and eye protection, but maybe I'll buy my own. Based on an awesome post I read on here, for longer term storage I bought some rust prevention paper and plastic storage bags. Based on some things from coltfever I bought some cleaning supplies (steel rod, bore and chamber brush, cleaning patches, a can of Ballistol).

Anything else a complete n00b should get? Is there anything special I should use for storing the gun between range visits, but not quite long term? People have said that storing in containers with foam padding isn't a good idea. Is there something else I should use?

#2 ·
I know a few people would buy a SW 686 for when they saw the Python and noticed it's too pretty to shoot they could take something to the range. Seriously though, it seems like that's one colt that's going to have a happy life being shot and well taken care of. Enjoy!!!

#4 ·
Unless you live in a hostile, wet environment, just use normal preservatives (I recommend Eezox) on the gun and clean normally after firings. No need for anything extraordinary for storage.

As an aside, you DID buy an expensive piece of metal. The collector value of Pythons is so high that most have been retired to pure collector status, and are no longer shot much if at all.

#11 · (Edited)
Unless you live in a hostile, wet environment, just use normal preservatives (I recommend Eezox) on the gun and clean normally after firings. No need for anything extraordinary for storage.
I bought a can of Ballistol to use for cleaning/lube. Is it ok to use Eezox in addition to that?

As an aside, you DID buy an expensive piece of metal. The collector value of Pythons is so high that most have been retired to pure collector status, and are no longer shot much if at all.
Oh, most definitely, and I understand it has collector's value. What I meant is that for me, if I wanted something solely based on a collector's value, I personally would have spent the money on something like gold or silver coins (that would have been a much easier purchase than going through the hoops and long wait of getting a permit). I'm not judging what other people do with their guns and don't mean to offend anyone when I do shoot it :). I reserve my right to change my opinion on this at a later date.

#9 ·
... The range I go to (indoors) has ear and eye protection, but maybe I'll buy my own. ...
No maybe about it, buy your own. There's no way that I'd use the rental ear protection at the range, makes me uncomfortable just thinking about it. Lots of good stuff out there at reasonable prices; you don't need to spend a lot (though you can) for decent equipment.

As another suggestion, don't start out with full boat 357 magnum rounds, the recoil can be a bit rough, particularly if you've never done much shooting before, and it will quickly take away the fun of shooting your new Python. Get some non +P 38 Special rounds, and have some fun. I also suggest some instruction on proper gun handling, either from and EXPERIENCED friend of relative, or the range instructor.

Best regards,

#15 ·
^^
But as I routinely do .38 +P 158g and .357 (125g, 158g, and even 180g on some occasions) through a 2", I might not be the best-suited advisor on bullet weight. I prefer Remington but have shot Federal with success - few (if any) dud rounds, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.