Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hello from England

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Jim, I forgot to say; don't look at the guns for sale. It will only make you cry.

Rio

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Welcome to the forum.

I have a question for you. I know the laws in England are very restrictive for guns. How does it work that you are able to collect them? Do you have to apply for a special permit? If so, what is that process like for that, and what are the restrictions? I'm just curious how it works over there, as from what I understand it's not at all as easy to have guns there as it is here in the US.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    The gun laws over here are rather complex to say the least. We have a classification system which puts different types of guns into different categories with different restriction and certificates. Rifles and shotguns are a little easier than handguns but still need a certificate. Full auto rifles of any kind and semi-auto centre fire rifles are banned as are pump action centre fire. (lever actions are OK - go figure!) All types of .22 rifle - other than full auto - are allowed with the appropriate certificate. Shotguns have their own set of rules. (Are you still awake?) Handgun wise, what we are allowed to collect, without any kind if licence, is muzzle loading guns made prior to 1939 (modern Italian repros need a gertificate) and rimfire handguns other than .22 and 9mm plus a few "obsolete calibre" guns. The basic criteria is that if ammunition is not commercially available then the handgun is "off ticket". It goes on and on. Google "police guidance for firearms laws" but have a large pot of coffee handy.

Rio

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Thanks for the info, Rio. Personally, I think I'd just rather move to America...but then I've never gotten to enjoy the better things Britain may have to offer. I'm sure there are plenty of those that might help defer some of the anguish sounds like you must experience from what you have described there.

Anyway, cheerio! And I hope life improves over there for your country once you are finally out from under the shadow of the Hague.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Welcome to the forum.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RGdb View Post
    Personally, I think I'd just rather move to America
    Having visited America more than a dozen times I feel exactly the same. But I'm a bit long in the tooth now - if I was thirty or forty years younger I'd give it a try.

Rio

Member #
    Liked
    191 times
    Howdy from KY.
    Combat isn't a joke,it's real!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hello from Pennsylvania, the cradle of Liberty.

Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Having visited America more than a dozen times I feel exactly the same. But I'm a bit long in the tooth now - if I was thirty or forty years younger I'd give it a try.

Rio
    I understand that. When I was younger, I had a point in my life where I considered moving to Europe. I often think back and wonder what it would have turned out to be like had I followed through on that idea. But it was just an idea, and didn't manifest into anything beyond a passing thought. Moving from where one was originally from takes a lot of effort and is a major life change, one doesn't just do that on a whim. You have to have some major reasons to do it and be willing to go through a lot. Of course, the US was founded on people who were willing to do that, and I guess we here owe them a lot of gratitude that they were willing to do so. So here's to good king George, were it not for him we may not have a United States of America!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Welcome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links