Woodsman owner from NH with an interesting tale

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Woodsman owner from NH with an interesting tale

So. Second generation gun enthusiast. My Dad passed over 15 years ago. Before that time he asked me what he should do with his collection. I was not ready for that question and I was living on the left coast raising a family. I responded, sell all but the .22s. Yes, there was a beautiful Colt wheel gun with bluing a mile deep and a hair trigger. But that is not the topic for today's introduction.

He was good to his word and held aside all rimfire toys including his Woodsman. But, his 1st gen Woodsman 10779* is the Sport model was actually his "second" Woodsman. Whenever it came out he always lamented the fact someone stole his "first" Woodsman. Well, I was cleaning out the attic some 60 years later and to my amazement, I found the original box, manual, price tag etc to his stolen "first" Woodsman. To read more and view some pics go HERE.

So. That said, I am up in the air as to what to do with my recent discovery. Topic one, what are the odds the box and the gun could ever be re-united? Topic two, we won't discuss that topic. Sadly, I wish I had asked him to hold out his favorite 5 guns or something smart like that. But, I cling to what he did leave behind. Maybe someone has a box for his, now my 10779*.

Just to add further oddity to this post, some 10 years ago a shooting buddy in Texas handed me a Woodsman box. He figured he did not have the gun, I had a Woodsman, best that I keep the box. After a few hours of rummaging through my "attic", 10 years later and two moves later, I found the box. Based on Bob Rayburn's website this must be a 1950 mfg box. Test target states "Sport Model", SN 103002-S is on target. Nothing on the box for a SN that I can find.

Things are getting late. I will take pictures of the 103002-S box, (update: pictures HERE) test target and Colt screw driver disc. That is my extent of Colt stuff. I am keen to match guns with boxes should anyone out there have a match.

JD in NH
    Last edited by durant7; 02-21-2012 at 03:59 AM. Reason: new photo link

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9046 times
    What a great story. When you post the pictures it might be a good idea to post them in the semi-auto section. Welcome to the Forum; really nice to have you here.
    Tony

“It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carry the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life, or death ---- it shall be life.” - Ten Bears - “The Outlaw Josey Wales”

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    welcome to the forum and thanks for the story.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    welcome to the forum from connecticut, where woodsmans were born.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1362 times
    Welcome to the Forum durant7. Interesting story, indeed. Bet it all holds a great amount of nostalgia for the days of your Dad. I'm curious to see how the "matchup" goes with your Woodsman and the box.
    -Ed-

"If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very, very low crime rate." --Marion Barry, Former Mayor of Washington, DC

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links