Colt Forum banner

Colt Official Police Photo Thread

84K views 293 replies 127 participants last post by  DSpecial 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a photo thread dedicated to the Colt New Police, Police Positive and Police Positive Special. We have one for the Colt Army Special as well but none for the revamped Official Police.

You got 'em? Post 'em here! :cool:

My favorite Official Police is this one, originally owned by the late Country singer, George Jones:

See less See more
#105 ·
Hi gang so I picked up this very nice official police from 1960 with original box and instruction booklet from a very good friend of mine. I’m puzzled by the barrel length. Colf fever says thesewe made in 2,4,6 and 8 inch lengths. However I put it next to my 1949 official police and that barrel does measure 4 inches but this 1960 model measures about 3 inches. The box indicates 4 inches. Is this a possible re-barrel and shortened or is this a possible low production unit? Maybe I should get it lettered?
Anybody seen a 3 inch official police?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#109 ·
I don't know actual numbers but I would think the 5" is less common but not rare. I do believe the 5" barrel Official Police is the most balanced looking and aesthetically appealing OP...like the 4" D-frame is for that model range.

#111 ·
Un-freakin-believable!!!
The Colt Official Police in 38S&W????
I still cannot understand why the M1 Carbine was not chambered in the superior .357 Magnum cartridge. Why did the Limey's not adopt the superior 38 spl cartridge instead of the inferior 38S&W for their Enfield top break revolvers?
I knew that S&W made their model 10's in 38S&W for the war but the OP too?
Flabergasting!!!!

#116 ·
The Webley and the .38 S&W pre-date the .38 Special plus I believe the Webley would require a longer cylinder to safely chamber the .38 Special. The Webley dates from the late 1870s and would have been distributed throughout the Empire long before the .38 Special came along...and to inject another caliber into the logistical chain around the world would have been difficult so I think the Brits kept the .38 Short and Weak for logistical simplicity, regardless of what revolver they purchased as needed. Given that most armies don't consider a handgun a primary weapon it was probably a reasonable decision from their point of view.

As far as the M1 Carbine caliber goes...it was expected to be a secondary arm for troops not engaged in front-line combat...engineers, headquarters personnel, etc., that could do better with a carbine rather than a handgun. I've also read that part of the caliber decision was based upon barrel manufacturing technology was already centered upon the .30 caliber diameter. The military gave gun companies a list of qualifications and they responded with the guns and ammunition that met the requirements. That doesn't mean the requirements always make sense or justifiable but it's what the military demanded and the contractors met.

#117 ·
#133 ·
#120 ·
Kurusu

Looking at the photo your revolver appears to have tghe vestige of an Enfield inspection mark on the frame near the hammer.

It is probably one of the off the shelf purchases by the British Purchasing Commission in June/July 1940. Further confirmation is the .380 marking on the receiver ring, which was applied later in the War.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

#122 ·
My Official Police family just added a new one...a 1950 dual tone 5" OP complete with Coltwood stocks. I purchased it from fellow Forum member Kraaken and am very pleased with it. It's the one at the top with my 1958 5" OP and my 1962 4" OP.

#123 ·
I'm getting ready to reload for my old Police Positive rated for 38 S&W ammo. Are there any precautions I need to know. There seem to be some conflicts in loads so will be starting at very minimum and work up. Is there a favorite powder out there? I like the way this gun shoots and it is the only colt I can afford so have to be careful of it.

just an old retired forest ranger firefighter

#127 ·
It has Commando Coltwood stocks. You should get an archives letter on that...it may well have gone to the government or a law enforcement agency since commercial sales were pretty much nonexistent during the war years.

#129 · (Edited)
This Official Police Revolver is as good as it gets. It cannot be improved. It was sold to the Government of Iceland in 1940. It came home almost 80 years later in new condition.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

#130 · (Edited)
This Official Police Revolver is as good as it gets. It cannot be improved.

That is, unless it's an unfired, LNIB example with original nickel finish, factory 3.5 lb trigger pull and test target...

Revolver Box
Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
Material property Box Paper
Text Document Font Paper Line