Colt Forum banner

Colt Official Police Photo Thread

84K views 293 replies 127 participants last post by  DSpecial 
#1 · (Edited)
We have a photo thread dedicated to the Colt New Police, Police Positive and Police Positive Special. We have one for the Colt Army Special as well but none for the revamped Official Police.

You got 'em? Post 'em here! :cool:

My favorite Official Police is this one, originally owned by the late Country singer, George Jones:

See less See more
#198 ·
#5 ·
Not as beautifully preserved as the previously shown specimen, but an honest working gun with a long service history:

Allentown, PA, Police Department. Made in 1950, shipped in March 1951. Ordered factory-stamped with department number. The stocks aren't specified in the letter; this being 1951, it should have shipped with Coltwood stocks. Since the OP stayed in service with APD at least through the 70s, I suspect by 1960 at the latest the department armorer had a box of replacement wooden sets on his shelf when officers came in with cracked or loose plastic stocks on guns acquired during the Coltwood era.

Attachments

#6 ·
Two of the early revolvers we carried in the early to mid 1900's at the NYSP were Colt Official Police's; stamped NYST on the backstrap. Here are mine: the first is the OP 6 inch and second the OP 4 inch. I wanted to show a photo of the NYST on the backstrap; the third in that photo just happens to be a New Service.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Revolver Everyday carry Metal

#17 · (Edited)
Here is pic of my Police Positive Special .32 ctg. Made around 1956. I wanted a revolver for shooting some .32 ammo I had and I ended up with this gun. I only paid a few hundred for it and did a strip and refinish. The way the refinish turned out it still looks like a well weathered worn gun rather than a bright new looking rebluing. I am pretty sure due to the sanding marks, which I removed, that it had been refinished before. I enjoy shooting it and like the looks of it even if it isn't in a pristine condition.

Attachments

#191 ·
One of the few encountered pre war 4" Official Police in .22 caliber:
I just checked out the US 1940 census on Family Search.org to learn a little about Joseph Lorch, the fellow named on the Colt letter.
He listed himself as the proprietor of a firearms shop. Born in 1888 in England
Nice revolver.
Regards,
JackInCT
Here's the link to the original Census record https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/6...c=2000219&personaUrl=/ark:/61903/1:1:K7S2-CMJ

View attachment 735590

View attachment 735591

View attachment 735592

View attachment 735593

View attachment 735595

#36 · (Edited by Moderator)
One of a group of 1100 Official Police in 38-200 (.38 S&W) that were shipped to England to support the war effort. This gun is one month older than I am. Note the Crown marking:
Cam, I'm glad you posted this one. I was hoping we'd get to see a nice example. That's one I'd like to add to the collection one day.

#24 · (Edited)
This is a never-was, didn't quite get christened with a name but Colt's letter states intention, with no marks on the gun except pony & a project mark on front right lower frame ---

I suppose it had some factory firing to proof the new barrel thread but no indication I can see.

My guess the GX-953-2 number has a meaning that might lead to more info. Such as G meaning all revolvers?, X meaning experimental, 953 file number of details-results, 2 second --- my pipe dream.

It's seeking a new home, maybe a trade --