Mexican Navy Remington Rand 1911A1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mexican Navy Remington Rand 1911A1

Member #
    Liked
    2130 times
    When I was on the Coast Guard Cutter VENTUROUS (home-ported in LA) we used to operate south of the CA-MX Border - and out to sea. One bust we had was approximately 600 nautical miles west southwest of San Diego. We recovered over 3,000 Lbs. of bulk Thai marijuana; made 3 arrests, and seized a beautiful Choy Lee (Taiwan Builder) 49' Ketch. It was a "by the book" boarding and arrests - solid convictions all around.

We "cooperated" with the Armada de Mexico (Mexican Navy) even did some ops with one of their ships. It was an old WWII US Navy Ocean Going Minesweeper converted to a patrol boat. When we went into Ensenada one time we hosted the Navy Admiral in charge of that coastal area of Mexico - from Tijuana south to Cabo. Not that he was old or anything but I think he had close to 60 years in the Mexican Navy - the infrastructure and equipment of the Mexican Navy was equally old. In one port call at Puerto Vallarta we were challenged to a basketball game with the MX Navy. Even with me in the game it was too easy; at the half our CO told us to ease up, let them in the game. They figured it out very early and were pissed. Their CO chatted with our CO and we resumed the pasting. Of course payback was on the soccer field; we did manage to score a goal (to their 4 or 5) they did not cut as any slack - nor did we wimp out; we tried but the pitch was almost like playing on cement - hard, gravelly clay, dried in the summer sun! No sliding tackles! This was during the 1985-88 time frame; in 2000 - 2001 I spent my final two years on the MOHAWK home-ported in Key West. We were the first US Naval "Combatant" to enter Vera Cruz, Mexico; you know "The Halls of Montezuma" fame. Across the pier from us was a very modern up-to-date patrol boat and every morning, in a display to show off, two deuce and a halfs with a platoon of Mexican Marines would do a slow drive-by of the cutter. Their uniforms were modern, well maintained, and the Mexican Marines looked like lean, mean, fighting machines - definitely not the stereotypical sort that were parodied in the 60s and 70s in the movies.

I've been to Mexico City in 2004 and 2005; the Mexican Military is a sharp looking group with modern equipment. Outside of Acapulco we were stopped at a checkpoint manned by the Marines; Ma Deuces, sand bags, and Humvees at the ready. A cousin of my wife is married to a pilot in the Mexican Air Force, at the Air Base in Acapulco they were flying "crop dusting" missions with Bell Jet Rangers, supported by Pilatus PC-9 Ground Attack aircraft:

I know, first hand, that several of Mexico's most vicious cartels were started by police and military personnel but for the most part today their military looks good with modern equipment and fit and trim members.

Oh yeah - a beautiful 1911!
    ronthom, Kid Sopris, rayb and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6452 times
    Roll-marking doesn't take all that much to accomplish, and it's done with a die, not by engraving - 'just' like the factory would have done.

Back when Winchester was selling off a 'lot' of their stuff, I knew a guy who bought a number of their barrel dies for rare, or hard-to-find calibers, along with a number of other interesting things.

For several years, if you were looking for a brand-new pre-'64 barrel for your Model 70 in .22 Hornet, or something more exotic - he'd tell you he 'knew a guy' and could find you one - then he'd fixture it up on a new barrel blank, and suddenly you'd be writing a check.

He was a whiz with re-welding and re-machining cut, demilitarized receivers of .45s, Garands and Carbines as well.

The dealer in question didn't do his nefarious 'work' personally - someone did it for him - but that someone's name has never 'really' come up.

Member #
    Liked
    1505 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CWO4USCGRET View Post
    When I was on the Coast Guard Cutter VENTUROUS (home-ported in LA) we used to operate south of the CA-MX Border - and out to sea. One bust we had was approximately 600 nautical miles west southwest of San Diego. We recovered over 3,000 Lbs. of bulk Thai marijuana; made 3 arrests, and seized a beautiful Choy Lee (Taiwan Builder) 49' Ketch. It was a "by the book" boarding and arrests - solid convictions all around.

We "cooperated" with the Armada de Mexico (Mexican Navy) even did some ops with one of their ships. It was an old WWII US Navy Ocean Going Minesweeper converted to a patrol boat. When we went into Ensenada one time we hosted the Navy Admiral in charge of that coastal area of Mexico - from Tijuana south to Cabo. Not that he was old or anything but I think he had close to 60 years in the Mexican Navy - the infrastructure and equipment of the Mexican Navy was equally old. In one port call at Puerto Vallarta we were challenged to a basketball game with the MX Navy. Even with me in the game it was too easy; at the half our CO told us to ease up, let them in the game. They figured it out very early and were pissed. Their CO chatted with our CO and we resumed the pasting. Of course payback was on the soccer field; we did manage to score a goal (to their 4 or 5) they did not cut as any slack - nor did we wimp out; we tried but the pitch was almost like playing on cement - hard, gravelly clay, dried in the summer sun! No sliding tackles! This was during the 1985-88 time frame; in 2000 - 2001 I spent my final two years on the MOHAWK home-ported in Key West. We were the first US Naval "Combatant" to enter Vera Cruz, Mexico; you know "The Halls of Montezuma" fame. Across the pier from us was a very modern up-to-date patrol boat and every morning, in a display to show off, two deuce and a halfs with a platoon of Mexican Marines would do a slow drive-by of the cutter. Their uniforms were modern, well maintained, and the Mexican Marines looked like lean, mean, fighting machines - definitely not the stereotypical sort that were parodied in the 60s and 70s in the movies.

I've been to Mexico City in 2004 and 2005; the Mexican Military is a sharp looking group with modern equipment. Outside of Acapulco we were stopped at a checkpoint manned by the Marines; Ma Deuces, sand bags, and Humvees at the ready. A cousin of my wife is married to a pilot in the Mexican Air Force, at the Air Base in Acapulco they were flying "crop dusting" missions with Bell Jet Rangers, supported by Pilatus PC-9 Ground Attack aircraft:

I know, first hand, that several of Mexico's most vicious cartels were started by police and military personnel but for the most part today their military looks good with modern equipment and fit and trim members.

Oh yeah - a beautiful 1911!
    They've apparently come a long way. When I lived in Monterrey, Mexico in the early 1960s, the army units I saw were armed with Mausers and their border police with 1911s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links