Mexican Navy Remington Rand 1911A1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Mexican Navy Remington Rand 1911A1

Member #
    Liked
    163 times

Mexican Navy Remington Rand 1911A1

Here is a Mexican Navy 1911A1 that I acquired about 25 years ago. A reliable source said that it probably went to Mexico with one of the destroyers we provided to them. The destroyers were a "turn key" sale with accessories included (inclusive of small arms). Less authoritatively, a story goes that a Mexican Navy officer sold a sea bag of these to a California dealer. If anyone has any info on these 1911s, please advise me. Regards, Ron

Attachment 91842
    Attachment 91843
    Attachment 91845
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ronthom; 07-03-2015 at 05:56 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Pretty cool 1911...

Member #
    Liked
    929 times
    I heard we sent a bunch of tanks to Russia under Lend-Lease, complete with Thompsons. But no ammo, so they put them away somewhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1133 times
    I didn't know Mexico had a navy. I do like that Colt 45 with Mexico naval markings. Should make it a rare pistol.
    chaosrob and Abwehr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6719 times
    Oh, we sent the Russians the ammunition, too - and plenty of it - along with Airacobras, and food of 'all' varieties.

They organized several all-Sherman tank battalions, and fought them well, and they loved those Airacobras because they were superlative tank-busters - that 37mm nose cannon and slow speed was deadly to the thinner top armor found on most armored stuff then and now, but you just don't see photos of non-Russian war materiel in action, because of the post-WWII Soviet propaganda effort.

As to the tale of that Mexican Officer selling to a 'California Dealer'...

If it's who I'm thinking of, that dealer had a decided penchant for 'enhancing' his wares - to include artfully marking them with seals/crests they'd never had when they'd left their factories - and he was highly active in the time frame you refer to.

Given that .45ACP was the military caliber of Mexico, and possessing same was a Federal crime - Mexican jails being what they are, it was a pretty safe bet that any piece in that caliber would be impossible to verify then, as well as now - it's only surprising to me that we don't see more of them, because as I understood it, that sea bag was pretty elastic...
    Hootch56 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dogface6 View Post
    Oh, we sent the Russians the ammunition, too - and plenty of it - along with Airacobras, and .....As to the tale of that Mexican Officer selling to a 'California Dealer'...

If it's who I'm thinking of, that dealer had a decided penchant for 'enhancing' his wares - to include artfully marking them with seals/crests they'd never had when they'd left their factories - and he was highly active in the time frame you refer to.
    I am quite sure you are right as to who was selling these at that time - yes, it is well established that he was less than scrupulous. Having said that, given the price at that time I would not expect that anyone in this country would have roll engraved the slides for the piddling profit offered. The holster appears similar to other Mexican Naval holsters I've seen pictured. But who knows? Regards, Ron

Member #
    Liked
    6719 times
    You're exactly right, and in many cases, the profit margin is low - but there 'is' a profit - and anyone who would unit-mark a Webley Mk VI with hand-stamps would do this.

Once they start, it's like they can't stop.

Who made the holster - is there a marking on the reverse?

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    I find it odd that the small arms went with the ship, "turn key" as you describe it. Hopefully, your pistol is not one that "california collector" worked his magic on.
    Hurryin' Hoosier likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3415 times
    We helped the USSR quite a bit the first few years of the war with food, ammo, weapons systems and more. Millions of dollars worth, because basically they were taking the heat of fighting the Nazis, which other than North Africa, we weren't.

Yes, we sold old US warships to Mexico, and still do. And other countries. One of my old ships was in the Turkish navy for a while. But I don't know why we would let them have the small arms. That sounds like a true Sea Story.
    Hurryin' Hoosier likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by USSOKC View Post
    I find it odd that the small arms went with the ship, "turn key" as you describe it. Hopefully, your pistol is not one that "california collector" worked his magic on.
    I never directly quote a well known person w/o their permission. But, let me assure you that the story on "turn key" destroyers w/arms racks filled is from the best 1911 source imaginable. Absolutely no discernable markings on on the holster. Regards, Ron

P.S. I still believe there is a major endeavor difference between a "flat" stamp and a roll engraving. With anything less than industrial equipment, roll engraving does not strike me as feasible, particularly when we are talking about a number of these guns. I would expect such a forgery to be accomplished by relatively cheap labor hand engraving it. The gun was bought well after the concerned individual was widely identified - I and several collector friends looked very closely at it during the inspection period. While the unnamed individual perpetrated multiple frauds, all the guns he sold were not bogus - he was a functioning (dysfunctioning?) major used gun dealer.
    Last edited by ronthom; 07-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.
    Abwehr likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links