+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Colt Wood Grips For the Python.

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1627 times

Colt Wood Grips For the Python.

Here's the wood Python grips. Colt also used Pachmayr and Hogue rubber grips, mostly on stainless Pythons.
    Dates are estimates. Colt was known to use older styles as long as the supply lasted, even after the new styles were shown in catalogs.

FIRST TYPE: 1955 to early 1960's??
    These were fully checkered, with Gold medallions on Pythons ONLY, Silver on other models.

SECOND TYPE: From early 1960's to mid-1970's??
    These have the first "thumb rest" (actually a loading clearance) only on the left side, with the checkering wrapping partially around the Gold medallions.

RIGHT SIDE: Note no "thumb rest" and curved checkering around the Medallion.

THIRD TYPE: Mid-1970's to the Python Elite of the mid-1990's.
    The "thumb rest" is now on both sides, and the checkering ends in a straight line under the Gold Medallion.
    Color began to lighten, and quality began to decline in the mid-1980's, with patch material sometimes used to repair defects in the wood or to correct poor fit.

NOTE: There are at least two "transition" versions of these grips, with slight differences in how the checkering pattern below the medallions is shaped.
    Transition Third Type. Note the "thumb rest" on BOTH sides, but the checkering pattern is still partially in a semi-circle around the medallions.
    NOTE: The Left grip was modified by the owner to clear a speed loader, this isn't a factory change.

PYTHON ELITE: From the Elite model of the mid-1990's to end of production in the early 2000's.
    These grips were not made by Colt, but were supplied by an outside contractor grip maker.
    They are made of laminated wood and were made in various colors and with both Gold and Silver medallions.

SERVICE GRIPS: Service type grips were used on 2 1/2" Pythons, and sometimes appear on other lengths usually as an after-market switch.

FAKE GRIPS: Made overseas (Italy??). These sometimes have Gold Colt medallions, and may even come in Colt wrap.
    Usually made of "hardwood" or cheap foreign walnut, these were sold at one time by CDNN for as little as $9.95.
    These are often found on Pythons from which factory grips have been "robbed".
    Colt NEVER shipped revolvers with these grips.
    Fake with no medallions, very cheap wood.
    Note the odd S&W-like checkering pattern and routed border.
    These fake grips are much flatter on the sides than the well-rounded, oval shaped Colt grips.

Fake by the same maker, better wood, Colt medallions.

Colt often used fancy wood grips on Colt Custom Shop or special order Pythons. Many of these are extra-fancy woods like Rosewood, both smooth and checkered, and were often made in Italy, with early versions made in India.
    Virtually all of these were simply close copies of the standard Target Grips. Most all have some type of commemorative or Colt medallions.
    After Colt dropped these foreign grips, the companies making them often continued importing them, sometimes with Colt medallions.

Currently, many Colt "Replica" grips are being made in Asia and imported. These turn up very often on Ebay. These have noticeable differences from genuine Colt grips, especially in the checkering and shape of the grips in the "thumb rest" area. These are almost always made of fancy foreign woods with exaggerated grain.
    Replica grips almost always have grip screw bushing on BOTH grips and these are usually brass. Genuine Colt grips have a blued or sometimes nickel plated steel bushing on the right side only and a steel screw with a small threaded end.

A pair of "replica" Python type grips from South East Asia:

Currently, replicas are being made in Asia that look more like Colt factory grips. These are being sold on Ebay and other sites. These are both Second and Third type grips. The medallions look like Colt factory until you look close and see that they are quite different:
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 12-06-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Kid Sopris, 56Python and TFlyboy like this.

Senior Member dant is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

Re: Colt Wood Grips For the Python.

DF, awesome pictures and very 'timely' to once again show the troops, pictures tell a thousand words.....just to'add' from what we were told , back in the early 70's, from Mr Jan Matlega, think was one of the owners of 'Sile' that many , if not all ( at that time) grips were supplied through them , to the different companies, Colt, and Ruger mostly and they came out of Italy , as you said. They sometimes also had the "medallions" holes, but would put in their own "Sile" logo, same size as the others. We still still see LOTS of these grips floating around different distributors as CDNN, there used to be 'Sarco' had LOTS of this stuff too, as well as the gun shows.
    More recently, Nutmeg Sports, continued to supply Colt with grips and from 'other' countries also, as we all know the wood could be gotten "cheaply", so the Co's loves to "source out" this stuff, look at S&W, they even "closed" their woodworking facilities.

Again "thank you", excellent reminder Sir...........
    Dan

NRA Benefactor

Member Sonny01 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a blued 1976 Python with the third type grips. I always wondered about the different grips offered and if mine were correct...thanks for a great post.

Member magnum62 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Very awesome post, I really enjoyed the read

Senior Member Fairlane is an unknown quantity at this point

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Great info. This should be a sticky
    If it's not a Colt, It's Crap

Junior Member Python33 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Great read!

How about the Colt Factory Rubber Grips w/ Silver Medalion? I have one that's in Like New Condition w/ the markings Vintage Industries, Inc. Made in Longwood, FL. USA. inscribed in the outter circle & Colt I Frame 1992 in the center inner circle.

Anyone know how much the market value of these grips are?

Sorry for the hijack & thanks for your help!

*** ColtForum MVP *** dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all dfariswheel is a name known to all

Member #
    Liked
    1627 times

The Pachmayr type grips as made by Vintage Industries were used by Colt very late in production.
    They first appeared (as far as I can tell) on the 1995 Colt SF-VI stainless steel small revolver that replaced the Colt "D" frames.

Apparently, the Pachmayr patents expired, and Vintage Industries simply copied them. What part Colt played in that is unsure, but I suspect it was done at Colt's request.
    As far as I can tell, the Vintage Industries copies do not have the steel reinforcing insert the genuine Pachmayr have.

I think that Vintage Industries still sell these with Colt medallions, so value is no more then the current price from VI.

Junior Member Python33 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for all your help & info. sir!

Junior Member dachan is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Great thread. When I bought this Python a couple of weeks ago, both the seller & I thought the grips were aftermarket. Now I think they are of the last type listed. But can anyone tell me what the medallions represent?
    Python
    Medallion

Senior Member 6Gun is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

That would appear to be the Great Seal of the United States (California included [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), although it is hard to see in the image.

Try looking at the back of a dollar bill, if it matches your done.
    Deltas, Snubbies, and Ivory... oh my.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads