Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Are Vintage industries grips as good as Pachmayr grips

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    609 times

Are Vintage industries grips as good as Pachmayr grips

I'm looking for a set of rubber grips for my 6" Python, and I'm coming across more of the Vintage
    Industries grips than Pachmayr grips. They are also lower in price. I want a set with the gold medallions. Are the VI grips just as good?
    Mosby likes this.

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5327 times
    The only possible issue is that the Vintage Industries have a plastic inner liner instead of the steel liner Pachmayr uses.

This could be good or bad.
    The Pachmayr steel liner sometimes tends to protrude out of the rubber in the areas where the grip is designed to contact the frame. This contact of the rubber area is how the grip is positioned, but if the steel protrudes it can leave slight marks on the frame.

A possible issue with the Vintage plastic liner is that it isn't as strong as the Pachmayr steel and there's a possibility that if you tighten the grip screw enough to secure the grip so it won't shift on the frame, the grip can collapse.
    As the grip is used the plastic may tend to collapse a little more, requiring the screw to be tightened more, causing more collapse.
    This can also be a problem with some Pachmayr grips.
    I have Pachmayr Compac Professional grips on two S&W Model 66 revolvers, and I have had the collapsing problem with them.

I'd think that as long as you don't over tighten the Vintage grip and it's tight enough not to shift or move on the frame you'd be okay.
    The steel inner liner of the Pachmayr may not protrude and that's a stronger grip.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 01-11-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Mosby likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    609 times
    Thats good info, thanks! I want to do this on the cheap so I was thinking of buying a set of Pachmayrs with the ugly Pachmayr emblem and installing a set of Colt medallions. Sound reasonable? Next question.. where is a good place to get a decent set of Colt medallions that will stay looking nice?
    Mosby likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buickgsman View Post
    Thats good info, thanks! Next question.. where is a good place to get a decent set of Colt medallions that will stay looking nice?
    Been wondering this myself. I have a couple of sets of grips I'd like to put Colt medallions on also.

Tom

*** ColtForum MVP ***

Member #
    Liked
    5327 times
    Usually you can buy them on Ebay and possibly a gun auction like gunbroker.com.

Gun Parts Corp list them for sale:

Grip Medallions, Gold, Pair - For All Factory Made Colt Grips Gun Parts | 842500 | Numrich Gun Parts

Quality unknown.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    609 times
    I was browsing around and wanted a set of medallions that I knew would be first quality. I talked to the great folks at Nutmeg Sports, and they are local to me. I picked a set up after work today for a very fair price. I highly recommend them. I spent a while talking to Tyler, super nice and very knowledgeable. Here's a link to their site. Nutmeg Sports, LLC

I won a set of Pachmayr's off ebay so I will be swapping out the medallions. I'll post pics of the swap when they show up.

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Buickgsman View Post
    Thats good info, thanks! I want to do this on the cheap so I was thinking of buying a set of Pachmayrs with the ugly Pachmayr emblem and installing a set of Colt medallions. Sound reasonable? Next question.. where is a good place to get a decent set of Colt medallions that will stay looking nice?
    Since you have already won a set of Pachmayr on ebay my answer is most likely moot. Why pray tell you want to go to all of that trouble to swap out the Pach medallion for a Colt medallion? -have you even researched the two swapped medallion diameters? Cut your minimal losses and buy a set of "cheap" (ugh) Colt issued Pachmayr "GRIPPER" grips and be done with it.

Member #
    Liked
    2244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelplate View Post
    Since you have already won a set of Pachmayr on ebay my answer is most likely moot. Why pray tell you want to go to all of that trouble to swap out the Pach medallion for a Colt medallion? -have you even researched the two swapped medallion diameters? Cut your minimal losses and buy a set of "cheap" (ugh) Colt issued Pachmayr "GRIPPER" grips and be done with it.
    I think this would have been the best route too. There are many many Pach grips out there with the Colt medallions already in them. They made these grips for decades.

The hassle of swapping medallions is too much work, time, and effort. Like mentioned, you need to know whether those medallions will work in the Pach grips. I am pretty sure there are numerous different styles of medallions. Also, the new reproduction medallions, like the ones used in custom grips, don't have the look of factory original ones. They look way too shiny, new, and cheap. I keep seeing them installed in custom grips on ebay and I would never put those on a Colt of mine. They just look fake. I wouldn't be surprised if those are the ones Nutmeg has, because even the good reputation companies I see have the 'knock off' medallions as I call them.

I know people are trying to gouge the prices on legit Colt medallion Pachs now, but a year ago or so, you could buy them for $25 or less. I bought numerous pairs for my Colts. Now, people are trying to charge $50, $75, and even $90 for a set of Colt medallion Pachs. Come on guys, are the gun prices stalling now you got to jack up the cheap grip prices? Nothing rare or special about them, oh it must be the Colt logo.

Anyway, I hope it works out for you. Show us pics.
    Last edited by bsmalley23; 01-14-2017 at 09:27 AM.
    6" Python, 357mag, Blue, '75-------------------5.5" SAA, 357mag, Blue C/H, 2015
    2.5" Python, 357mag, Blue, '72-----------------2" Cobra, 38spl, Blue, '61
    4" Diamondback, 38spl, Blue, '77---------------2" Detective Special, 38spl, Blue, '68
    4" King Cobra, 357mag, BSTS, '92--------------For Sale

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    609 times
    Thanks for all of the input, I guess I like to do things the hard way. I was successful in my medallion swap. I drilled a small hole in the pachmayr medallions and threaded in a screw and the medallions came right off. I carefully scuffed up the rubber and used 3m weatherstrip adhesive to adhere the medallions. Came out great. I even got the angle of the medallion right on both sides. The only complaint is how the grip fits (or doesn't fit) against the back of the trigger guard. Otherwise, they are pretty nice. These grips are the one piece clamshell style. All of the others for the Python seem to be 2 piece. Any thoughts on why that is?

ColtPlinkerton likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    382 times
    I think Pachmayr went to the one piece because of complaints on how the back of the two piece grips separated or mismatched when the screw was tightened One found that non of the rubber type grips fit that well compared to wood, which doesn't distort when tightened. Hogue rubber is the exception.
    Buickgsman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links