Colt Forum banner

Just got a Python as a gift, what can you tell me about this gun? (PICS)

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Jakets 
#1 ·
Grandpa just gave me this gun as he is clearing out his collection and gifting them to the grandchildren. So now I am curious about an estimated value (though I have no intention of selling) and if these are stock grips and trigger. What I do know is that this particular gun is from 1980 as per the serial number. I am ecstatic and cannot wait to fire some rounds through this, I know it hasn't been used in years.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Revolver Shotgun Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you. I think this is all he has, as it was willed to him after a buddies death years ago. I will ask though, as it looks like replacements are over $300!

Any idea on the trigger? Most seem to be blued on videos and images, but mine is not.

#7 ·
Gorgeous gift from gramps ! Give her a good bore and barrel cleaning with some hoppes 9 . Also everywhere else you can get with a soft toothbrush , interior and exterior . Make sure you get inside the vents on top of the barrel .Take the grips off also - lube her up after with some BreakFree CLP.

NEVER keep her in that brown pistol rug/ case , use it for transport only .

i haven't looked prices lately , but feel comfortable saying value is in the fifteen - two range .

Enjoy , treasure and GOD Bless your grandfather .

#8 ·
#10 ·
Enjoy that gun! The in-the-white trigger indicates that the gun might have had some action work done on it. You could, in due time, ask grandpa about any work done on it, and for any record of that work, as it could affect the value, or replacement cost, if the weapon should ever be lost or sold. I would say Herrett's stocks as well.

#16 ·
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately it was willed to my grandfather by a friend of his and the revolver is As-Is. My grandpa has only shot it a few times over the years and never had anything done with it.

Regardless, I intend to clean her up and use her often. ;)

#11 ·
You were gifted a treasure, keep it in the family !! Stocks look like Herretts. Gen 3 (straight line checkering under medallions) can still be had at "reasonable" prices but never jump on the first set you run across. I'm sure plenty of members have a set sitting around and may part with them at a fair price. Clean thoroughly and a coat of Ren Wax will really bring out the beauty in her. You have a loving gramps. Cherish that and his gift.

Jackson

#15 ·
Those look like Herret's Shooting Stars from around the '70s, and the front sight is a popular mod/option from the same (bullseye) era. There are quite a few like that.
The trigger may have been replaced after a buggered action job. It happens. Sometimes, the mechanic is a little agressive, and ends up wrecking some parts.
No worries, though; it is right around a $2K revolver.....more with correct wood.
Niiiiiiiice.......

#17 ·
Awesome! I didn't think I would get such detailed info to be honest. The grips feel great, but I will probably hunt down some stock ones eventually. I didn't notice the sight was not stock, I will have to look at some pics to compare. I am ecstatic, I was looking at some $600 S&W revolvers not long ago, so this was a huge surprise and way, way more than I would have ever given myself. Hopefully I will be passing it to my grandchildren one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.