+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5 in 1 Blanks

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    939 times

5 in 1 Blanks

This question has come up before so I thought I would give some background.

5 in 1 Blanks were designed to be fired in five different guns of the Ol West, per se, those of the 45 Colt, 44WCF (.44-40) and 38 WCF (38-40). Rifles and revolvers. At the time there were no Lever action rifles available chambered in 45 Colt. Thus the "5".

Stembridge Gun rentals of Hollywood, California, was formed in about 1920 by James Stembridge and Cecil B. DeMille to supply guns to the movie industry.
    The company is still in existence and is currently being run by Syd Stembridge whose father was the nephew of the founder. Though it sold off many of the Movie Prop Guns that they use to have, specifically many of the Class 3, because of mounting Political pressure.

Olin, though they attempted to deny the fact on several occasions in interviews I had with the Vice President of Olin in 1997, manufactured the brass blank cases that would eventually be loaded by Stembridge. They changed their position on supplying those blanks after being confronted with evidence contrary to their claims. LOL

Stembridge offered the blanks with your choice of 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or Full load of either Black or Flash powder; depending on inside or outside filming and effect needed.

Though I am sure Sam Peckinpah would use Full Power Flash for indoor night scenes just for WOW Factor.

Attached are two sets of Pictures:

From Left to right:
    (1). WRA 5 in 1 fired Blank Case, removed from Winchester 1892, 44-40, Used by Patrick Swayze in the Disney Movie Tall Tales. Primer removed to display Flash hole. Notice top of case where it engages rifling after firing.

(2). Unmarked headstamped, 5 in 1 Unfired Blank Case, , supplied by Olin, 1/2 Charge of Black Powder, from the Disney Movie Tall Tales. These were used in the Merwin, Hulbert's utilized by Patrick Swayze.

(3). Unmarked headstamped, 5 in 1 fired Blank Case, supplied by Olin, from the Disney Movie Tall Tales. These was fired in one of the Merwin, Hulbert's utilized by Patrick Swayze.

(4). Remington-UMC headstamped 5 in 1 Unfired Blank Case from an Original Box of Remington Blanks and not used by the Movie guys. (because of liability and control) This is a full charge of Black Powder.

Senior Member bmcgilvray is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    426 times
    Thanks a lot for the post and the photos. When my cousin and I were kids we found some of the Remington-UMC 5-in-1's that had been my uncle's. Shot 'em all up in his Colt SAA "Artillery Model."

Senior Member DFrame is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Thanks for the history lesson kid. I had no idea if they were available anymore. Several years ago The late Maj. George Nonte used 5-in-1 blanks to make shot cartridges. The process was torturous but essentially the extra length of the 5-in-i's allowed him to load larger quantities of shot and still not exceed overall length.
    Detectives, and Cobras, and Agents
    Oh My!

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    939 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DFrame View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson kid. I had no idea if they were available anymore. Several years ago The late Maj. George Nonte used 5-in-1 blanks to make shot cartridges. The process was torturous but essentially the extra length of the 5-in-i's allowed him to load larger quantities of shot and still not exceed overall length.
    Dframe, I went through that exercise...whew..I even had conversations with leading ballisticians at the major manufacturers to try and encourage snake loads once again for the .38-40 and .44-40. One lady who was obviously a math major, said, "we can't make it in two calibers for the same gun." oy vey... RCBS who made the dies for Stembridge was not interested in making another set of dies for me at the time.

Ads