+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    229 times

Best Progressive Press??/best reloading Dies

I'm thinking of getting a progressive press - I'm leaning toward the Hornaday AP. Anybody have any experience with these? Both good or bad. Any others that you'd recommend and/or shy away from? How about dies.?
    I have an RCBS Rockchucker right now. Just thinking about increaseing my output a bit. I could get alot done during the long cold winters here in Illinois.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Senior Member ColtSnakes is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    You and I think alike...I have a Rock Chucker that I have used for nearly 20 years. A couple of years ago, I bought a Hornady Lock-n-Load AP. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It was very easy to set up. I really like the design of the powder measure and the activation system it uses. You don't have to worry about spilling powder, because it won't drop powder unless a case is in that station....I got a pretty good deal on mine. I paid 388 bucks for it and got 1000 free premium bullets.
    Last edited by ColtSnakes; 10-22-2010 at 01:15 AM.

Senior Member Kid Sopris will become famous soon enough

Member #
    Liked
    985 times
    Without a doubt DILLON !. I can't tell you how many times little things get broke; decapping pins, springs primer tubes and each and every time Dillon has replaced them with their NO BS Warranty and Guarantee, free of charge. I never even paid for postage or the phone call.

Dillon's' dies are made by Redding. I use Redding Dies for all my reloading and have their quality above everyone else. Many like other manufactures, to each his own. I own a Rock Chucker and have for many years that I use, with Redding Dies, for those rifle rounds that require individual attention. I have slowed down some, but I can safely say that on my Dillon's, and I have 4 machines, I easily load approximately 10,000 rounds a year.

Yes they are more expensive, but since we are in the Colt Forum, you set your limit on quality. I enjoy the Dillon Catalogs too. (I think my Mail lady, Marni Likes them as well. She likes guns.)
    Last edited by Kid Sopris; 10-22-2010 at 04:53 AM.

Senior Member haggis is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    278 times
    I think the best press, at least by the criteria I use, is a Dillon 650 Auto-Index press. KId has given you one of the reasons, Dillon's no-BS guarantee. The extra station for the powder check die is important to me - I've never had a double charge with the Dillon. Enough stations to seat and crimp as two separate steps give much better OAL and crimp control. Auto case feeding is very handy. I haven't gone to the automatic bullet feed yet, but someday I might. Now if they would just go to a hydraulic ram like my MEC 9000H...

Buck

Junior Member Colt45ce is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Recently got into reloading again and got a LNL AP. Hornady replaced one of my shellplates as I was having some trouble getting the cases to feed after they dropped and now all is good. Liked it so much that I also got one of the single stage classic Hornady LNL presses for working up loads for both handgun and rifle. The Hornady powder measure is nice and you can also put a powder cop in after the powder drop station. Might want to consider a Chargemaster for load work...it's da bomb!

Senior Member broknaxl is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    229 times
    Thanks for all the answers!! But money being an issue, I've opted fpr the Hornaday - it's on sale here locally for $359.00 at Cabelas - so with my cabelas points and a coupon it'll be about $200.00 bucks. Then I'll have all winter to play with it.
    This is America - You don't redistribute wealth. You earn it !! " Shoot em in the right eye - it spoils their aim!"
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    NRA Whittington Center Life Member
    Life Member NAHC

Senior Member ccw1911 is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You will be happy with the Hornaday, excellent quality and their service is second to none whether they brag about it or not. RCBS is another company with excellent products and service.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Ads