Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 26 Nosler

Supporting Member Colt-SL is on a distinguished road
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2266 times

26 Nosler

At 66 years of age I'm not easily given to fads and teenie-bopper jargon; but O M G!
    In today's new American Rifleman, I spotted an ad for Nosler's new cartridge, the 26 Nosler.

I have long been a proponent of the 6.5mm round and long had the Winchester .264 magnum held as my favorite round. In Texas, for 12 years, it was my favorite and most productive deer-providing round.

The new 26 Nosler has ended its reign as my all time hero. Check out 26nosler.com on the internet to see how cool this new cartridge really is. Compare the ballistics/trajectory of this amazing newbie! Introducing 26 Nosler | Flat to 415
    Tony

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life...or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson) - "The Outlaw Josey Wales" 1976

Member Monroe is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Sounds terrific. I'm a huge 6.5 fan. Anyone announce a rifle chambered in it yet?
    Colt-SL likes this.

Senior Member longranger is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    Nosler has their Mdl. 48 "Patriot" rifle chambered for it,not a inexpensive rifle either. Looks like a long case(L/A) and overbore I will wait and see what barrel life is going to be. Wonder if cases can be made from 30-06 cases ? Thought I read on their web site some thing about being compared to a 30-06 case.
    Colt-SL likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2266 times
    So am I Monroe; I've long been a proponent of hunting Texas whitetail at longer ranges with the .264 Win Mag in both a Remington 700 and a Winchester Model 70.

As longranger mentions, only Nosler has the Patriot chambered for the round but I'm sure others will follow.

longranger I have not read where the .30-06 could be used to fire-form or be handloaded to the .26 Nosler specs. Great question though since cases are so plentiful!
    Tony

"There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life...or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson) - "The Outlaw Josey Wales" 1976

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2266 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    Sounds terrific. I'm a huge 6.5 fan. Anyone announce a rifle chambered in it yet?
    Almost forgot, at the bottom of their website is an opportunity for you to vote for what rifle brand you'd like to see this cartridge chambered in.
    Tony

Senior Member longranger is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    136 times
    It will have to at least have more support than or equal to that of the AAC 300 Blackout. Nosler brass is expensive and a new cartridge with new dimensions is going to be troublesome with only one supplier of critical components.There have been numerous new offerings of cartridges that have very marginal support for i.e. .327 Fed Mag and several others. I have zero need or want to deal with another "boutique" cartridge.
    Colt-SL likes this.

Senior Member WIL TERRY is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    BOTH of my old 264WINMAGS would hit 3400 with 120gr bullets which I prefered. The one I kept will still do it although I have not shot it now in several years. This was written up in HANDLOADER magazine about 1975 or so.
    NO 30'06 case will ever produce the numbers Nosler is quoting unless the bullets are 85GRS or somesuch. THERE is NO substitute for cubic inches of power capacity.
    Colt-SL likes this.

Senior Member JohnnyP is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1072 times
    No .30-06 case here. Rumor has it using the .375 Ruger case, which is a huge non-belted magnum case with a base diameter of the belt on a belted magnum case. Should be a barrel burner.
    Colt-SL and longranger like this.

Senior Member WIL TERRY is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    THEY MAKE NEW BARRELS EVERYDAY, by the boxcar full, so it is no big deal shooting one out and screwing in another.

Senior Member JohnnyP is on a distinguished road

Member #
    Liked
    1072 times
    By the boxcar full? Really?

Ads