Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1889 Nickel
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1889 Nickel

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    OK thanks. I agree BP is fun. I shoot percussion and FL BP. And yes it's interesting that BP is an explosive vs modern is a "burn"... Just thought since MV and FP specs were same the stress on gun would be same.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7297 times
    The main problem of smokeless powder vs. black powder is the Peak Pressure upon ignition. Black Powder keeps a "more" even pressure as it ignites and "explodes" where as smokeless powder hits a very high pressure just as ignition happens. This peak pressure is much higher than an old BP revolver can stand. Even the Cowboy light loads are waaay to much for an old revolver.

The other part of shooting smokeless is we have no idea what the revolver has been thru in it's past years. Many of them probably had smokeless fired thru them when smokeless came out. This could have cause some very slight fractures in the old malleable iron frames that you can't see. It could let go at anytime and a nice Colt would be destroyed and the shooter possibly hurt.

I know that the S/N of around 190000 is the recommended number that smokeless (light loads) powder can be fired, but I ere on the side of caution and don't shoot any smokeless untill the S/N is above 225000. I may be too cautious, but I want to keep my fingers and destroy a fine Colt.
    Jim Martin, mrcvs and po18guy like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7017 times
    BTW. If I came across that gun for that price I'd whip my wallet out so fast the seller would think I was drawing on him. I was thrilled with the 1890 renickeled .44-40 I bought last year and it wasn't near as nice as yours, so all this stuff should not be discouraging to you.
    Abwehr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1132 times
    SAFETY - Matthew Quigley Buffalo Rifle Match

Although this doesn't apply specifically to the use of smokeless powder in a black powder gun it may give you some insight into experimenting with reduced power loads using smokeless powder.

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Something to remember about 130 year old Colts. They have thin cylinder walls. Black powder is more forgiving, but there is something call metal fatigue. The AR had an article about it from a metallurgist. On inspection the cylinder can look fine, but in reality it is ready to pop. The article showed pictures of guns that looked good, but exploded when fired. Inferior metal, less qualified quality control of the metal, and just plain aging and use can cause a failure.
    Monsai52 and Abwehr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1478 times
    To follow up on what saa3220 just posted; I've posted this before, but I've seen a number of early black powder Colt SAA cylinders that have heavily eroded chambers that leave the chamber walls paper thin, so even if the gun looks nice and tight, please check the condition of the chambers and thickness of the chamber walls before firing. Here's an image of a early 44-40 cylinder that looks pretty good from the outside, but you can see just how thin the chamber walls are due to erosion.

Best regards,

Chaffee, saintclair and Abwehr like this.
    My opinion is free, and worth every penny of it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10895 times
    Monsai, Great advice! That picture speaks volumes!

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Thanks for that tip. Good to know. 1889Cylinder.jpg1889CylinderFront.jpg1889Grips.jpg1889ColtCertLtr.jpg1889AcidPanel.jpg

For resto pretty good work. If acid panel original great if restored someone replicated quite well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links