Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1889 Nickel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1889 Nickel

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Colt Frontier Six Shooter 1889 Nickel

I just acquired an 1889 Colt SAA "Colt Frontier Six Shooter" acid etched left side barrel. SN128XXX. All specs look correct Colt cert letter states:

.44/40
    4 3/4 barrel
    Nickel
    Simmons Hardware 8/7/1889

The Nickel plate has some oval machine marks/scratches... ? looks original finish all patent dates, sn's, frame markings... acid panel crisp...

What might these marks be?

More pictures available.

Thanks for any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ron7624 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    Refinish

Member #
    Liked
    730 times
    Quote Originally Posted by saa3220 View Post
    Refinish
    Agreed. Also the front sight is too large for an 1889 gun.
    Rick likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    What are the signs of a refinish job? How do the reapply the "acid etching" on the barrel? I have dozens of other 1880-1900 SAA all the sights - when I put micrometer - on them seem to vary several 100ths in height and width. How accurate was machining for that part in the 1880's :-) ?

Thanks for help. :-)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1938 times
    Machining was very tight. The front sight was gauged and they were very consistent. I too thought the front blade looked suspect. Tell tale signs of a refinish is the poorly buffed scratches seen under the nickel in the flat sides and you can see the inside edges of the screw holes are rounded and not sharp - they refer to that as being "dished". It's still a nice piece, don't throw it away.
    Wyatt Burp, Rick and paglazier like this.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Just noticed the ejector tube screw under magnification is "buggered"... Paid $1500 with Colt Cert letter. Am loading some .44/40 BP and some smokeless powder - light loads with same specs as BP MV and FP... to shoot. Definitely not throwing away... was hoping it was more orig. All parts appear orig sans maybe the sight. Have examined a bunch of SAA's in that era and measured the sights, they do seem to vary from several 1000's to several 100's +/- I assume they were stamped out of sheet stock during production???

Will still make good shooter for 127 yo gun :-)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2807 times
    Plus 3 above. The only guy I know that can reapply the acid etch is Dave Lanara. I am sure someone else will give you his contact info as he is a forum member. It is a very nice early SAA as is. Just enjoy and shoot it.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2745 times
    Welcome to the forum! Sometimes, guns are like clay pigeons - throw one up and it'll be shot down! However, we must consider that not all BP guns were scrupulously cleaned and lubed (whale oil?). Rusted bores and peeling finish were the norm to some degree for working gun. There were far more users and far fewer collectors back then. I have a different view from some in that a good gun has intrinsic value apart from its collectability. Others are wall hangers. The lucky few have museum pieces that basically can never be used. If that SAA is solid, well timed and locks up tightly, it is every bit as functional today as it was the day that Washington became a state.
    LeverActionBill and Abwehr like this.
    NRA Life member. 31 year LEO. Moderator
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Survivor of Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma NOS, AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma and a haploidentical stem cell transplant. May you never have cancer, but if you do, remember the rules: 1. Don't panic 2. Don't give up. My condensed cancer journey
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    under "about me" and more detail
    "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!"

Member #
    Liked
    5963 times
    Not just refinished, but over-polished when they did the job.

Look at the color - old plating has a mellowed look, while modern plating is 'white' - and that's the first tip-off.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1938 times
    Uncommon. Don't be put-off by the fact that it is re-nickeled. Someone liked it enough to put some money into it. The bbl could be off a 3rd gen FSS. I'm very impressed the muzzle at the bore is not flaked...that's not easy to do and most Nickel guys can't pull off nickel that will stick. It is a nice looking piece. Can you pull the grips and take a pic of the back of them? To best completely honest at 1500 I'd jump all over it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links