Kopec letter and the thrill of discovery.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Kopec letter and the thrill of discovery.

Member #
    Liked
    1349 times

Kopec letter and the thrill of discovery.

Starting a new thread as requested about the cavalry recently found. I've blocked out the serial number, however, to "protect the innocent". CIMG1661.JPGCIMG1662.JPG

It is clear that John Kopec has the data base and experience to make very qualified judgements. He is the gold standard, but every letter I've received from his has been a surprise, some not so good but most very good. This one was the holly grail as far as I'm concerned.

Anybody know why these attachment addresses are showing first rather than the photos? Never had this happen before.

Jp
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jplower; 01-11-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    Mrexmt, colt03, mrcvs and 24 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    Congratulations on a superb US Calvary revolver! It is spectacular & should be the centerpiece to judge all others by. Very impressed. Please post more pictures if possible.
    Leigh
    chud333 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1349 times
    Thank you, much appreciated. This acquisition was the direct result of knowledge combined with observing known original guns at shows, in collections and through purchases. Once you have one in your hand, get out the eye loup and study all the details, especially the markings and how they appear on a nearly new gun vs. a use or worn gun. Memorize the polishing lines, the hue of the blue, the surface of the case color frame and the look of the patent dates, and look at several to be sure all things match in the same serial range. It's a lot to absorb but it's the only way to learn. If you can't do that, the next best thing or THE best alternative is to purchase and study John Kopec's fine publications, and any others that detail the SA. Knowledge is power, and you will be better armed than an self proclaimed expert who doesn't take time to read. I know one of these men who never read the books, just looked at the photos! He missed a great gun because he didn't understand it, but it was in print, so I capitalized on it and the rest is history!

The same thing happened with this great one. Yahoody has also had great luck on an on line auction when he won the Navy test gun. The seller didn't know what it was, or even the caliber! Had he done the necessary reading, or bought the books, he never would have put it out for sale. There are still great finds out there for the well informed, if only time is spent reading and looking.

jp
    Last edited by jplower; 01-11-2017 at 02:49 PM.
    chud333, Whitedog and Sparebux like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    ColtForum.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    Great looking gun. Is the case hardening that dark or is it just the picture? Interesting to see how case color ages. Life is full of questions. Why would an unfired gun have the firing pin replaced and the loading gate replaced? We will probably never know the answer to that, just seems strange.

Member #
    Liked
    1349 times
    When these militias ordered Colt, they also received spare parts. When a green trooper dropped the gun with the gate open, it can crack the pivot rod. If he dry fired too much, the firing pin rivet would or could also crack. Both of these parts were available to the armorer to effect repairs. In my experience, loading gates don't just drop in UNLESS they are to mil spec. The gate is the same color and fits perfect. And not to disagree with John, but if the original gate was damaged at the factory or didn't pass inspection, another part would be added to complete an order. It's also possible that during a training session, the parts were swapped on the barracks floor with another trooper's gate. The family said there's a box of parts somewhere that may have the original, I hope....

Additional photos will be posts as time progresses. It's too soon, i'm sure you understand.

The case color is that transparent, early version, and the right side of the frame has a very colorful swipe all down the frame. It looks dark at certain angles and purple blue-green-pink at others.

jp
    Last edited by jplower; 01-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Whitedog likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2230 times
    Dave, is that the one I saw 2 summers ago? Regardless...good for you. That's awesome!!
    Owner: Spring Creek Armory

Member #
    Liked
    1349 times
    It's better than the one you saw but has the same type of early case color and blue. Never thought I'd find a better one but one day a casual search put it in front of me, and the "spidey" senses went off. I couldn't sleep right for a week before the auction. This is a classic case of "it's too good to be true" turning out to BE true. I just shows that incredible finds are still out there.

Dave
    Last edited by jplower; 01-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    What a wonderful firearm, I'll look forward to more photos at a later date. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Member #
    Liked
    163 times
    it is amazing how good a shape this revolver is in for its age....if it could talk it probably would not have a lot to say ...congrats on the find Dave.

Member #
    Liked
    2281 times
    Simply an amazing find. Congrats! I can't wait for more, detailed pictures of this fine firearm. How did it make it this far?
    6" Python, 357mag, Blue, '75-------------------5.5" SAA, 357mag, Blue C/H, 2015
    2.5" Python, 357mag, Blue, '72-----------------2" Cobra, 38spl, Blue, '61
    4" Diamondback, 38spl, Blue, '77---------------2" Detective Special, 38spl, Blue, '68

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links