Colt Forum banner

The second, 'other' SAA of Tom Threepersons

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rednichols 
#1 ·
Sold last year at auction was this Colt SAA, long rumoured in various articles but unknown where it was, with uniquely modified rear sight. Lettered and made 1909 in .45 Colt.
Metal Beige
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Joint Beige Footwear Fashion accessory
Revolver Auto part Muffler Exhaust system Automotive exhaust

The previously known SAA of Tom's, in 44 WCF, is at The Autry Museum and has appeared in several books since the 1970s, not least being John Bianchi's "Blue Steel & Gunleather" because it was in John's personal collection at the time.

Also auctioned were Tom's Winchester 94 -- there is believed to be one more, that one with a shortened barrel -- and his Triple Lock Smith & Wesson; the locations of both previously unknown as well. More about those on the smith-wesson forum, by their new owner.

The re-appearance of these guns of Tom's has affirmed details in several print references including one by Skeeter Skelton from 1980.

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Some nasty hand file work on that gun. Nothing Colt did, that is for sure. Obvious by this gun and the nickel gun with pearls credited to Threepersons prior he certainly used his sights.
Knowing about the front sight on his other SAA, which is the fixed version (called 'military' I think) of the Bisley flattop front sight, I reacted the very same way. Like that one, the front sight on this one is a vertical plane (filed through the plating); taken in combination with the filing of the topstrap to create his rear sight, it does indeed suggest that Tom felt aiming to be very important to his success. Several references tell us that Tom advised he wasn't really a one-man army and it was for that reason he left law enforcement.

I might go so far as to say, despite the former SAA being made 1905 and this one pictured being made in 1909, that doesn't mean he bought them in that order; and the 1909 was his prototype, so to speak; because the 1905 appears to have been plated AFTER his special front sight was mounted (right flush with the muzzle, which suggests to me it was not factory installed). Of course we know (and the letter for the 1909 version reminds us) the retailer often took delivery of these guns as blue, then plated them nickel.

#7 ·
1909 and I'd have to assume it lettered from Colt as a stock nickel, 45, 4 3/4.

His other gun was truly a classic IMO. I don't have my reference library handy. Did RL Wilson show or list a serial # on that gun? Have to wonder if this was his " proto type" and the other gun was one he had Colt build for him?

#8 ·
I don't mind deductions, but there's not much sense in assuming. When I said it was blued then nickeled by the dealer, I said it because it lettered as blue and the 'then nickeled' at the dealer was a well-known practice of the period.

Here's the auction to eliminate further unnecessary guesswork:

**Law Enforcement Legend Tom Threepersons' Archive, Including His Colt Single Action Army Revolver, El Paso Deputy Sheriff Badge, Personal Scrapbook a - Price Estimate: $10000 - $15000

Look there a bit and you'll see Tom's Smith, and his Winchester, too.

A note from the Autry:

The Autry does indeed hold Tom Threepersons’ revolver. Here is the catalog note on it: “Colt SAA model, .44-40 caliber. 4 3/4" barrel, nickel plated with pearl grips. Proper right grip has long horn carving. Serial no. 269695."

I've not seen the letter on this one. All gratifying because earlier research, which has errors about Tom's holster and his non-existent Canadian service, does correctly note two SAAs, one in 44 and the other in 45 with 'oddly modified rear sight'. Bingo, here it is, 30 years later. The serial numbers of the Smith and of the Winchester already were well known from the Coffey Monograph.

#9 · (Edited)
#269695 is from 1905 (carved pearl, 44-40 nickel)

#310268 is from 1909 (file work .45 gun)

Tom Threepersons (July 22, 1889 – April 2, 1969)
He was 16 when the first gun was built. 20 when the second gun was made.
We know the one won't letter or who nickeled it and I suspect the other won't either unless it is a rebuild by Colt.
Might be an interesting read on the other gun.

'In 1907, his and White's fathers were killed during a fight with cattle rustlers. The suspects were arrested, but released on bond. Threepersons tracked them to a saloon, where he confronted both suspects, and killed them during a shootout. He was arrested for murder, but was acquitted.[SUP][3][/SUP]"

#10 · (Edited)
#269695 is from 1905 (carved pearl, 44-40 nickel)

#310268 is from 1909 (file work .45 gun)

Tom Threepersons (July 22, 1889 — April 2, 1969)
He was 16 when the first gun was built. 20 when the second gun was made.
We know the one won't letter or who nickeled it and I suspect the other won't either unless it is a rebuild by Colt.
Might be an interesting read on the other gun.

'In 1907, his and White's fathers were killed during a fight with cattle rustlers. The suspects were arrested, but released on bond. Threepersons tracked them to a saloon, where he confronted both suspects, and killed them during a shootout. He was arrested for murder, but was acquitted.[SUP][3][/SUP]"

Say, this is fun :). Might bore the other readers tho.

Regardless of Tom's age when the guns were made by Colt, what matters to us is when he bought them. And since he reputedly 'found' one of his two Winchesters, we can't even assume that either Colt was acquired new. We do know that the Smith was shipped in 1915 to Shelton-Payne Arms in El Paso (this is the arms dealer that was formed after El Paso Saddlery went out of business in 1902; no, the current EPS is not related to either of these, nor to Myres). Again, that doesn't mean that Tom bought it in 1915.

It seems most likely that "around 1916" is as close as we'll get because that's the first report of Tom at rodeo; he enlisted in 1917 and served at Ft. Bliss, but that was almost literally next door to his home on Mountain Avenue with wife No. 1 (to whom a son Hiawatha was born before they married, the boy dying at age 1 month of influenza) and his guns would have been there or with him while in service.

The Wiki entry, though I often like the info in Wiki otherwise, has many errors, not least that the article there cited by Bob Arganbright doesn't even mention Tom or his holsters at all. The White story is from Eugene Cunningham circa 1926 and the White story is related to Tom's life in and around Canada including with the RCMP -- which was not 'our' Tom at all but Canadian rodeo champion Tom Three Persons, died circa 1946.

I have accumulated masses of research on Tom and his guns, and the influence he had on holster design (his personal holster is not by Myres but is by Egland, and likely circa 1916) that includes the intersections of three Texas Rangers, four saddlery owners, one widow of both (!) and Tom himself. The Myres "Threepersons-Style Holsters", despite what one may read, were first introduced by Sam in his 1931 catalogue, along with his copy of the Brill -- because Arno Brill spent a year at Myres creating all of Sam's holster and belt range for him! It's a whirlwind of a story.

All good fun; I've a more detailed explanation on my website red nichols holsters , complete with footnotes (references) that one can follow up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.